Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By Husky1600
  • 2 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By Brian
  • 3 Post By Jit
  • 1 Post By Flyblown
  • 3 Post By gundoc
  • 4 Post By 30late

Thread: Browning BLR - does anyone in NZ do good trigger jobs on them?

Browning BLR - does anyone in NZ do good trigger jobs on them?

I have a mate who is buying a BLR 308, I heard that the triggers are about 4.5lb and can be a bit creaky...he would like something around 2.5lb with zero creep.

Do any gunsmiths in NZ do good trigger jobs on them? I read they can be a bit tricky to work on.

Are there any aftermaket triggers for them?

Cheers

Yup, Zach at North Canterbury Gunsmiths, or Firearms. Not sure what he calls his business. Top guy on BLR's
    csmiffy and 308mate like this.

zacs number : 0210 268 2546
    Got-ya and 308mate like this.

Mine had an 8lb pull.
    gadgetman likes this.

Cheers guys I'll pass that along

Jit
    My 308LT trigger was quite sweet. No Trigger tech but good enough for its intended purpose.
    I backed off the spring pressure, tricky but possible (made a small bent tool) then used PTFE trigger lube and dry fired it a lot. good enough for <MOA 100m and 300m 1st round gong contact. Dismantling a BLR is prone to disaster as the trigger removal requires retiming of the rotating bolt mechanism. Triggers aren't flash but can be quite decent with perseverance.
    Micky Duck, WillB and 308mate like this.

res
    gunworks in chch improved one for me significantly a few years back
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    My 308LT trigger was quite sweet. No Trigger tech but good enough for its intended purpose.
    I backed off the spring pressure, tricky but possible (made a small bent tool) then used PTFE trigger lube and dry fired it a lot. good enough for <MOA 100m and 300m 1st round gong contact. Dismantling a BLR is prone to disaster as the trigger removal requires retiming of the rotating bolt mechanism. Triggers aren't flash but can be quite decent with perseverance.
    I can vouch for this as I’ve got the rifle now.

I’d certainly be following this advice first before I paid money for any work.
    WillB likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

An easy way to smooth up and slightly lighten triggers is to dry-fire them several times while applying firm pressure to the striker or hammer with a piece of wood (leaning your upper body weight on it is about right). 8-10 times should burnish off any roughness. Of course, you can only do this to rifles that have exposed strikers or hammers.
    Dama dama, WillB and 308mate like this.

the BLR trigger has often been described as "sucking and blowing at same time".....cant really dissagree but it never stopped it shooting around the moa mark without a hell of alot of effort......and yes the retiming thing can cause premature bauldness when you pull hair out trying to get it right...one tooth out and it all seems right but wont fire tight rounds.....one the other way and it wont shut at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the BLR trigger has often been described as "sucking and blowing at same time".....cant really dissagree but it never stopped it shooting around the moa mark without a hell of alot of effort......and yes the retiming thing can cause premature bauldness when you pull hair out trying to get it right...one tooth out and it all seems right but wont fire tight rounds.....one the other way and it wont shut at all.....
    Many years ago with a rush of blood to the head i decided my BLR needed a good clean and so removed the pins that go through the receiver and removed the lever and bolt mechanisim .
    My memory is a bit vague from 20 odd years ago when i did this but i do remember tying to put everthing back together and in particular trying to seat a small spring back into its position , so there i was with some tweezers in one hand and long nosed pliers in the other hand trying to get that dam spring back into its spot when PING and said spring was never seen again!!!! .
    So rather sheepishly i had to take it into the local sport shop who sent it off to a gunsmith, and when i got the rifle back it would not fire as the timing with the cogs etc was not right and the bolt would not close and cock properly, so off to gunsmith again.
    Eventually got the rifle back together properly and have never touched it since LOL . Cheers