Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Browning BLR Takedown

Browning BLR Takedown

Does anyone have one of these? Been thinking about one for awhile as I miss being able to takedown my Bergara but not missing its weight considering its a single shot. Thinking the BLR could make a nice replacement. Id also love to see close up of the barrel and bolt mechanism as barreling one to suit a fast twist 308 would be my ideal situation.

So any opinions on them? or anyone wanting to sell one?

There's a second hand one in 308 for sale at H&F Dunedin, don't remember the price. Was chatting to a gunsmith this week and he mentioned he was working on a BLR recently but the barrel was pressed in. Not sure if that is the case for all of them? The one at H&F is a new looking stainless one from memory.
    They are pretty slick, and more like a straight pull bolt action that is operated by a lever, than a tradition lever action. Rotating bolt head, front locking lugs, etc, better for inherent accuracy compared to the usual rear locking, tilting bolt style in most lever actions. Getting the teeth on the rack and pinion aligned again properly if you ever have to disassemble and reassemble one can be tricky,(and that's if your competent, a clumsy bastard like me may struggle for hours) but hopefully that won't be required often. There aren't many lever action options in 308 in modern production, I can only think of the BLR and Henry Long Ranger off the top of my head and the BLR beats the pants off the Henry in every way except maybe price, and they don't offer a takedown one afaik.
    If you want a photo maybe try ringing H&F Dunedin and ask Christi to email you some photos, it might help if you say Tom sent you..... it also might not =)
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    There's a second hand one in 308 for sale at H&F Dunedin, don't remember the price. Was chatting to a gunsmith this week and he mentioned he was working on a BLR recently but the barrel was pressed in. Not sure if that is the case for all of them? The one at H&F is a new looking stainless one from memory.
    They are pretty slick, and more like a straight pull bolt action that is operated by a lever, than a tradition lever action. Rotating bolt head, front locking lugs, etc, better for inherent accuracy compared to the usual rear locking, tilting bolt style in most lever actions. Getting the teeth on the rack and pinion aligned again properly if you ever have to disassemble and reassemble one can be tricky,(and that's if your competent, a clumsy bastard like me may struggle for hours) but hopefully that won't be required often. There aren't many lever action options in 308 in modern production, I can only think of the BLR and Henry Long Ranger off the top of my head and the BLR beats the pants off the Henry in every way except maybe price, and they don't offer a takedown one afaik.
    If you want a photo maybe try ringing H&F Dunedin and ask Christi to email you some photos, it might help if you say Tom sent you..... it also might not =)
    Thanks that much appreciated. The takedown aren't press fit but the non takedowns are. I will give them a go in the morning. Thanks a heap.

My dad has a Browning BLR takedown in 30-06. He almost never shoots it. I've shot it a few times and I have no problems with it. Seems accurate enough, it's easy to take down, everything seems quality enough.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have had two blr takedowns, and now that we can't have ar10's(a lighter and more accurate take down rifle) I can see me being in the market for another one again.

One of the two I had wandered around a 4' point for the first shot before settling down to 2', the other was about 8" for the first shot but about 1.5 from there on. I took to taking a heavy subsonic round with me to seat the barrel with the worse one.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    I have re-barrelled many BLR's (non-takedown) and they are threaded into the receiver like most other centerfire rifles.
    Your stalking the older ones aren't you? The new does aren't definitely press fit since they went to aluminium receivers
    Got-ya likes this.

The complete hsitory of BLRs, well worth a read. My understanding is that steel receivers and takedowns are able to be rebarelled with no problems, while Non-takedown aluminium receivers not so much. It can be done, but not worth the time and cost.

Shooting with Hobie: The Browning Lever Action Rifle (BLR), By - Bruce Hamlin

Really? Where the hell did the pressed fit idea come from then.

Out of interest do you work for yourself or which Smith are you? If you do Smith for others I'd love to drop the blr if I can get one off to you if you have played with them before as experience in a unique actions pretty important.
    Got-ya likes this.

Still interested to know about the smiting of these.
    A bit of a shame but sounds like someone wanted one too and brought it yesterday afterwork which is odd as they sent me pictures at closing. Back to the search.

Banned
    @Stocky, have you considered Savage 99 takedown ?

NRT
    Shipment of BLR takedowns arrive on the 21st got my name on one 308 ,should get it in the new year .Bucket list idea never shot a deer with open sights so will run QR rings on it

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    @Stocky, have you considered Savage 99 takedown ?
    No as I think they look like aids. Seem to work fine but again part of the blr is wank factor.

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    Shipment of BLR takedowns arrive on the 21st got my name on one 308 ,should get it in the new year .Bucket list idea never shot a deer with open sights so will run QR rings on it

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    Can't warrant new as the 308s twist is aids and I'll eventually attempt a rebarrel once my lathes all set up. Prefer not destroy a brand new rifle at 2k plus

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Can't warrant new as the 308s twist is aids and I'll eventually attempt a rebarrel once my lathes all set up. Prefer not destroy a brand new rifle at 2k plus
    Its a shame you did not start looking 18 months ago when I had my one for sale....https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....pressed-46532/ I sold something else instead to buy the motorbike...which ironically is the bike I have listed on here now...having had 18 months of an affair with it.....(my other bike was getting jealous but it does not know I have my eye on a sporty wee number now...)

Had one in stainless 243 and liked it for ease of barrel cleaning and slim proportions. Ultimately decided bolt action is my preference although still have a few levers.
    Stocky likes this.