Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Mathias
  • 4 Post By gundoc
  • 2 Post By gundoc
  • 2 Post By garyp

Thread: BSA Majestic 30-06 help.

Question BSA Majestic 30-06 help.

Afternoon team ,

Currently off work for a few weeks and I decided to find a project. So I offered to help find out some info on a mates rifle and look at getting it up and running again.

So I done some google action and have found some info on this rifle , I am thinking its a BSA Majestic featherweight..... Delux....?

I am keen to know how old it is. and any other interesting info on it. When using the John Knibbs site BSA - John Knibbs International Ltd it seems this serial number is no included.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    John Knibbs info is a little incomplete. There were BSA rifles made especially for NZ Forest Service work that were non existent according to Johns info. After all it's based on his fathers period at BSA not his own, apparently. I'd say F falls between E & G on the serial number list
    tetawa and Timberwolf like this.

It is a first pattern BSA Majestic (identified by the safety catch on the bolt head) and would have been made in the 1963-66 period. After that date, and prior to the introduction of the 1st pattern Monarch, the Majestics came out with the safety as part of the trigger mechanism and the button was on the right rear between the stock and action body. All Majestics were made as 'featherweight rifles' and the only option was if you wanted the plain muzzle or the built-in muzzle brake. Rifles that came to NZ (one of BSA's major markets for centrefire rifles) seemed to be fairly equally divided between both muzzle types, and most buyers just took whatever was on the shelf in their caliber. I owned a first pattern Majestic in .243 for a couple of weeks (unreliable killer) and then switched to a second pattern .30/06 which I used for 18 years. Both rifles had the plain muzzle which was much more pleasant to use. I couldn't fault the workmanship or accuracy in either rifle.
    veitnamcam, viper, Mathias and 1 others like this.

Cheers for the info knew the info would be close by. the stock seems in very good condition, is it likley to be a replacement or does it seem oringinal...is there a way to check?

any top tips on how to clean up the surface rust and slight pitting?

and any tips on how to locate a rear sight would be great also.

once again thanks

The stock on that rifle has been heavily sanded at some stage as there is no checkering visible anywhere (it could even be a US aftermarket replacement from Herters). The metalwork would have to completely professionally repolished and reblued. There is no suitable 'quick fix'. The cost of a quality polish and reblue, added to a complete stock refinish and checkering in the original style, would be more than the rifle is worth regardless of barrel condition, as it would always be a refinished rifle. If it is still shooting well then you could tart up the metalwork and apply some good quality cold blue ( I have a lot of time for Birchwood Casey paste) or maybe go for ceracote. The rear sight is a simple folding leaf such as found (and removed) from 10/22's. Your local gunsmith will have a jar full of them!
    Mathias and Timberwolf like this.

Got lots of BSA bits here if you need any.
    Shearer and Timberwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    Got lots of BSA bits here if you need any.
    A suitable rear sight? feel free to pm a price for one , cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    The stock on that rifle has been heavily sanded at some stage as there is no checkering visible anywhere (it could even be a US aftermarket replacement from Herters). The metalwork would have to completely professionally repolished and reblued. There is no suitable 'quick fix'. The cost of a quality polish and reblue, added to a complete stock refinish and checkering in the original style, would be more than the rifle is worth regardless of barrel condition, as it would always be a refinished rifle. If it is still shooting well then you could tart up the metalwork and apply some good quality cold blue ( I have a lot of time for Birchwood Casey paste) or maybe go for ceracote. The rear sight is a simple folding leaf such as found (and removed) from 10/22's. Your local gunsmith will have a jar full of them!
    Cheers , might got for the cold blue option and give it a tidy up. ill get it out for a shoot and see how it shoots. what would this rifle be worth just out of curiosity. thanks again

A mate just got his rebarreled in 6.5-06 AI. And ceracoted. It looks pretty mean

Might pay to check the condition of the bore before you go spending too much. It would be a shame (and expensive) to have to rebarrel it.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

You can have it for free

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    You can have it for free
    Cheers for the sight Gary, arrived today safe and sound.