Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Building a big gun?

Building a big gun?

Hi Guys,

Im thinking of building a 300RUM and using 220+ pills.
    It will be a hunting gun for big stags in the roar. I know people will say you don't need a big gun and a 308 can do it all.
    But there is no replacement for displacement and I want to drop them on the spot.

I was thinking of building it on a 700 and getting a 4" mag box with a fast twist barrel to stabilise the heavier longer pills.

Im after some info on anyone that's had experience with the 300 RUM or 338 Edge.
    What they have built and what they wish they had done.
    What loads they have used.

Cheers
    Dusty Fog likes this.

Nice man, honestly i would at buying a factory 300prc

300rum is pretty average i have a 338 edge and a 300 norma but if i was looking to build one now i would go down the 300prc road and factory rifles and chamberings will have way better resale.

Customs are great fun but not much point when you can get an off the shelf option they will do 99% of what your looking to build.
    mikee, Shearer, Phill243 and 5 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

A 30nosler or 300prc will shoot 225eldms at 3000 plenty then you don’t need a rum length action
    Phill243 and dannyb like this.

I agree with the last two .30 nosler would be awesome and I'm hearing really really good things of 300prc from mates who know what they talking about. I'd be going down that path if I were you

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I Have just looked at the 30 Nosler impressive stuff with less powder than the RUM and it sorts out the OAL issue.
    199p and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill243 View Post
    I agree with the last two .30 nosler would be awesome and I'm hearing really really good things of 300prc from mates who know what they talking about. I'd be going down that path if I were you

Thanks Phil!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Once upon a time in a land not too far away from here.....people shot stags with a .30 calibre rifle and were using 200-220grn projectiles......both the .303 british and early .30-06 loadings were big fat heavy round nose jobbies ...NOTHING has changed about the stags....with all the tech you cart around hills today,if you twiddle n fiddle after ranging...how much of a rainbow trajectory is a bit of a moot point......
    7mmwsm, JoshC, chainsaw and 2 others like this.

LBD
    Reminds me of a guy I worked with in Kyrgyzstan always working out at gym.... Dan was his name.

There were a few of us at a pub, but not Dan... and one guy was chatting to a lady at the bar... and she asked if he new Dan... the "guy with the big guns"

We used that at work until he left... "Excuse me, Dan with the big guns"...
    dannyb and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Once upon a time in a land not too far away from here.....people shot stags with a .30 calibre rifle and were using 200-220grn projectiles......both the .303 british and early .30-06 loadings were big fat heavy round nose jobbies ...NOTHING has changed about the stags....with all the tech you cart around hills today,if you twiddle n fiddle after ranging...how much of a rainbow trajectory is a bit of a moot point......
    But there's always that time you see a trophy of a lifetime walk into the bush or scrub and your not close enough yet and he's never been seen again and your holding a rifle that hurt doesn't quite have enough legs to take the animal. Hence why I now own a big ish gun .

199p and caberslash like this.

I have shot 225 grainers out of mine at target up to 1000yrds. They stabilize fine in a 26" one in 10" twist factory barrel with factory chamber and throat.
    I have settled on 208 gr eldm, plenty of speed and beat the wind on anything else I have in smaller caliber and supper accurate in my gun.

maybe if you were shooting a-tips 230 or 250 you might might want a 1 in 9 twist and suitably throated for them but that start to be a very long cartridge and quite costly to run as well.

I don't know too much what is available at the moment in term of components brass wise, but when and if the prc takes off with good quality brass available, it might be a more interesting caliber to run as said above. I still love my rum though :-)...while it shoots well.

7mmwsm is worth listening to pal. What he says is logical, makes sense even.

BUT, build the big gun... Personally I would use it for perforating cats. Or steel plates at silly long ranges.

MY only real advice is to build it bigger.
    Unless you are a lady?
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Bugger,
    I was going to recommend the .30-40 Krag, aka the .30 Army, but you beat me.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Bol Tackshin and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill243 View Post
    But there's always that time you see a trophy of a lifetime walk into the bush or scrub and your not close enough yet and he's never been seen again and your holding a rifle that hurt doesn't quite have enough legs to take the animal. Hence why I now own a big ish gun .

Meant to say doesn't quite have

I run a 26” 338 Edge on an ex rem700 ultra mag ,I wanted one years ago when Shawn Carlock first designed, for me it for a designated 1200m rifle with 2000f/lb energy at 1000m for anchoring stags and bull tahr. It’s a shoot from the valley floor, mountain top, ridge and spur rifle not a stalking rifle, you could but need full time hearing protection because of muzzle brake. Can spot my own shots which is a must as I hunt solo a lot. Even with a carbon stock fully set up rig she weighs 5.1 kg. This rifle is crazy accurate a distance and smacks animals down quick and easy to reload for.

Would I do anything different now that I know?
    Get a custom action like a Defiance with the integral 20moa rail, the rem 700 action and bolt isn’t that smooth in cycling.
    Change the hunter stock to a pistol grip type stock because all the shooting is prone.

If I wanted to do other types of hunting eg stalking and free hand shooting I would choose other calibers with suppressors. Probably go back down to the 300wsm which I’ve had in the past and a easy resale in a factory rig but half the grunt of the 338 at 1000m.

Only one correct answer, 50BMG

Name:  Tac-50-A1-R2-Prox.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  34.8 KB