Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bum bag. S day pack vs pijau vs ultralight

Bum bag. S day pack vs pijau vs ultralight

Hi guys, new hunter here wondering what setups you use for day hunts. I am currently using a smallish bumbag and a pikau. I find that when I have a polarfleede swanni and a gamebag in the pikau there is no room left and it is kind of a pain in the arse for getting things in or out of.
    If people are using packs, what size and make are they using?
    If people are just using bumbags, what size and make?
    If people are going even lighter, what is your setup?

GWH
    Ive tried various combinations of bumbags/pikaus, bumbags that fold out into day packs. They were all pretty hopeless really.

I just use one of 3 packs i have now. Either a Huntech 40L (original NZ made one with canvas inner), or a Cactus Huntaway 40 odd litre, or a Macpac Ascent 65L plus 10L.

All of these packs are top loaders which can be extended out the top and the top cover lifted up for when you come home with far more than you took out ;-)

I only use the fleece covered Huntech 40l if im bush hunting, if more open stuff ill take the Cactus or macpac as they are much better packs at carrying weight when the hunt is successful.
    chainsaw and stagstalker like this.

Been down the same route of bumbags / pikaus and have ended up using a pack, doesnt have to be full (though usually is just for some extra weight to carry for exercise).... currently using a twin needle molle me and its awesome. Can easily be used for overnighters as well.

A 35-50 L pack covers most options for day hunts. If you knock something over you’ll find 45L or larger best. If you want light weight take a look at the Exped Lightning 50 or 60 L.
    GWH likes this.

MB
    I've persevered with the bum bag thing because I hate having a pack on my back. I use a molle belt and military surplus pouches. It's customisable, so have it setup exactly as I want.

Badlands monster is good but hard to get an animal out if you get one

SiB
    I use my large Badlands bumbag. Very comfy and straps allow clothing to be carried outside

I dislike a day backpack for the perspiration it seems to generate, though I agree they’re best if carrying out meat

I have a huntec pack with a canvas bag inside that folds out of the way
    its so damn good to get clean meat without having to carry out skin or bone
    got the bumbag as well and id say the pack is quieter when walking cause it shakes around less

Also put a soft shirt over the mole me if I'm trying g to be quiet

ridgeline 5 pocket bum bag with a old strap off luggage bage across chest n shoulders to stop it dropping onto thighs...it lives inside my pikau untill I get animal then goes around waist...if needing to get at bits n pieces lots will wear it with pikau on back.my pikau is home made polarfleece and is approx twice size of pillow case,can fit half a red in it and carry back wheels over top easy enough.
    if Im using my canvas daybag off the K2 Hunter pack....I put a polarfleece T shirt on the bag.

I mostly use a pikau for day hunts, only weights about 300g-400g, it’s nice and quite, not too bulky in the tight stuff, it rolls up small into the main pack, only snags up on bush lawyer and blackberry. Don’t like bumbags anymore to much weight on the hips.
    In the open country I will just use my main back pack.
    stevodog likes this.

I like the pikau as well. I chuck a couple of straps in it for strapping jacket or clothing on outside if space needed and a rubbish bag for putting meat into in the pikau. I then have a ridgeline large pouch on my belt for snacks and anything else I want easy access to along with a drink bottle holder. Works well for me ( but rarely need to carry red deer sized game)
    born to hunt - forced to work

Banned
    Just sew the Bum Bag to the Pikau and buy a Game Gear cape

Exped lightning compressed down tight with polar fleece blaze orange shirt as cover,old seat belt adapted to use on shooting shoulder then swap to proper strap once got a load of meat on board,.great for carrying deer in with canvas huntech bag to keep blood off everything.
    ANTSMAN and 25 /08 IMP like this.

Hmmm, interesting replies. I originally got the pikau because I liked the weight sitting lower and it seemed to snag less on branches but it wouldn't be that flash for an overnighter. The guys who use molle pouches. Dob't they rattle or catch on stuff? Does anyone use Bergens or do they sit too high, rattle too much etc.