Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Burris clicks not accurate!!

Burris clicks not accurate!!

Help please.

Remington Model 7 - 7mm-08
    Burris Fulfield II 3-9 x 40
    Hornady Precision Hunter 150gr ELD-X

Sight in yesterday 100m (see pics)

After each grouping i made adjustments, but the next groupings, although still tight, would be positioned at double or triple the distance i adjusted for.

The groupings are tight enough after each adjustment so im happy with the rifle and ammo. But trying to adjust it to hit centre is a headache. Scope dials feel really tight when turning clockwise but smooth when turning anti.

Scope? Rifle? Ammo? Shooter?

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Frustrating aye.
    I have a Bushnell that has its left and right mixed up compared to what it says on the dial.
    Range was 100yds.
    Maybe check bedding but the groups are tight so can't really be that. Maybe settling in to new ammo but again groups are tight so it's a bit odd.
    Might be scope

Is the adjustment near the end of its range? Could be putting strain on the erector assembly.

I was hoping there'd be a relatively simple fix if it was the scope. Not ready to bite the bullet and get another.

Can you adjust it one click left And a few up and shoot another group?

If it is tight to dial adjustment one way you are most likely close to its maximum movement that way, wind age mounts may solve your problem.
    veitnamcam likes this.

It could be the dredded recoil lug is holding the barrel pissed, center the scope, go full left then right, counting the clicks then go back to center and see where it shoots. This will indicate the scopes good and you'll need to get windage mounts.

Any ideas why its doubling or tripling in placement i.e 8 clicks dwn = 4inch, not 2 as it should.

Not surprised with that. That’s pretty bad though. It is a basic scope and in my experience you tend to chase around the page unless you go small with adjustments. Don’t dial with it . Or upgrade to something that will be repeatable.

Clamp the scope/rifle to your bench and check it moves across your target accurately, a simple couple of “v”s screwed to a block of wood and a tie down strop should do. Better still mark out a piece of wood with 1inch increments then you can check both horizontal and vertical fully across the scopes range.
    This will take the rifle and you out of the equation.
    Have a look at turret precision and repeatability half way down the first post.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-optics-45030/
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Banned
    I would take the scope out of the mounts if checks above dont help. Then lay a straight dowel, broom handle or if you have it 1" seamless tube in the mounts and see that they line up with the barrel. If the mounts are out of alignment the scope can get bent and internals squeezed, causing all sorts.
    The mounts would then need lapping

Banned
    I would take the scope out of the mounts if checks above dont help. Then lay a straight dowel, broom handle or if you have it 1" seamless tube in the mounts and see that they line up with the barrel. If the mounts are out of alignment the scope can get bent and internals squeezed, causing all sorts.
    The mounts would then need lapping

Dial up to max,dial down to max counting clicks,dial back up half yr clk count.Do same left n rigth.Your scope should be in the middle of yr adjustments.Now dial up 15moa.Aiming at yr bulleyes all the time,shoot nice group,then dial down 30moa ,shoot nice group.Should be close to 30 inches between groups.Find accurate centre of each group,measure between group centres and divide by number of clks.That will tell you what yr clk value is.

My burris signature clicks are pretty good. Your Barrel maybe making it look worse as those model 7s heat up real fast so can throw shots

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    My burris signature clicks are pretty good. Your Barrel maybe making it look worse as those model 7s heat up real fast so can throw shots
    I agree. Perhaps put it on another rifle and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.