Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By davhope
  • 3 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By superdiver

Thread: Burris HD 2-10x40 vs Sightron STAC 3-16x42

Burris HD 2-10x40 vs Sightron STAC 3-16x42

Hey team,
    As per title, looking for scopes to go on my new model 7, and interested in these two at the moment: Burris signature HD 2-10 x40, or sightron STAC 3-16x42 duplex. Open to other suggestions though.

My ideal requirements are: keen to get a scope that can dial (I haven't had a dial able scope before, just heldover). Ideally looking <$1000. Ideally have a low mag at the bottom (2-3) as most of my shooting is bush distances (<100m) but like to be able to stretch out first for targets, and then perhaps to deer etc.
    Appreciate any feedback re-glass quality in these scopes, dialability and functionality. My big hold up with the sightron is weight - appears >600gm!
    Cheers
    Joel

I was in a similar position. I didn’t like the reticle on the Burris 2-10 as used to Plex so was thinking about the 3-15 Signature instead which should meet your price and 3x is pretty good FOV. I am always keen on lightweight also so ended up with second hand VX3 3.5-10 and am very happy. It seems to dial fine on the occasions when stretching a bit. So many options these days ….

I've not had a 2x10 burris, however I've still got a burris hd 3x15 and love it...had a stac 3x16 and it is indeed a big heavy lump of a scope 30mm tube also....but bombproof.

Should also mention, I've got a weaver S/S 3x10 and a vx3 3x10 and while the weaver is not as light as the leupold, the glass is far clearer at all light levels...
    Moa Hunter likes this.

GWH
    I have no experience with the Burris, but ive been running S-tac 4-20x50 for a while on my Model 7 7mm SAUM. They dial awesome, i mainly shoot long range deer around 600 yards is normal and have shot a deer at 994 yards recently with the 4-20 S-tac. I really like the reticle, particually the fine floating dot in the centre.

I find the glass well good enough, im sure theres much better available but its good enough for my hunting.

I been liking the scope so much that when i saw tbe special that CameralandNY had on them at US $299 i purchased 2 more of them. They took 15 days to get to my door, came in under $950 Nzd to my door, for the pair. Didnt get stung GST or Duty.

I now have them on my CZ527 17 Hornet and my 300 RUM.

Loving it on the 17 hornet already after one outing, head shooting a rabbit at 275 yards with it.

The 4-16 S-tac were the same price if not $20 cheaper. Hard to beat the performance for the money.
    Last edited by GWH; 21-12-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    tetawa, BSA270 and JoelA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I have no experience with the Burris, but ive been running S-tac 4-20x50 for a while on my Model 7 7mm SAUM. They dial awesome, i mainly shoot long range deer around 600 yards is normal and have shot a deer at 994 yards recently with the 4-20 S-tac. I really like the reticle, particually the fine floating dot in the centre.

I find the glass well good enough, im sure theres much better available but its good enough for my hunting.

I been liking the scope so much that when i saw tbe special that CameralandNY had on them at US $299 i purchased 2 more of them. They took 15 days to get to my door, came in under $950 Nzd to my door, for the pair. Didnt get stung GST or Duty.

I now have them on my CZ527 17 Hornet and my 300 RUM.

Loving it on the 17 hornet already after one outing, head shooting a rabbit at 275 yards with it.

The 4-16 S-tac were the same price if not $20 cheaper. Hard to beat the performance for the money.
    This is where I am looking at sourcing my scopes from - as have heard good things about them. 15 days is excellent too. They currently have a great sale on the Sightrons. Was that duplex reticle you are talking about? Or moa?

Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    I was in a similar position. I didn’t like the reticle on the Burris 2-10 as used to Plex so was thinking about the 3-15 Signature instead which should meet your price and 3x is pretty good FOV. I am always keen on lightweight also so ended up with second hand VX3 3.5-10 and am very happy. It seems to dial fine on the occasions when stretching a bit. So many options these days ….
    That has also come to mind as a good scope, I have heard some very positive things. I think the 3-15 has zerolock too.

I have owned both. The stac is heavy but didn't bother me. Only scope I have owned to match the precision of dialing was a nightforce...
    JoelA likes this.

Sounds like a Weaver Superslam is what you're after.... 😅

The S-TAC reticle is very fine, which is great for long range work , but I found it not so great for bush hunting. Also take a look at the Delta Ti range. The 4-12x40 Leupy fire dot Patrol that was for sale on here very recently would be a good option.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelA View Post
    This is where I am looking at sourcing my scopes from - as have heard good things about them. 15 days is excellent too. They currently have a great sale on the Sightrons. Was that duplex reticle you are talking about? Or moa?
    All 3 of mine have the MOA-2 ret mate

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    The S-TAC reticle is very fine, which is great for long range work , but I found it not so great for bush hunting. Also take a look at the Delta Ti range. The 4-12x40 Leupy fire dot Patrol that was for sale on here very recently would be a good option.
    Good to hear that, I had seen that reported about the MOA 2 reticle, hadn't heard it about the duplex. The delta ti range is likely stretching the budget a bit far unfortunately . And the VXR firedot looks nice, but 4 being the lowest power is a bit too far for bush stalking imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Sounds like a Weaver Superslam is what you're after.... ��
    Mmm could be - I have seen the one you have for sale! Have had other weaver scopes before and not been thrilled with them, but I do understand the S/S is usually very nice.