Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: To Bushpig or not to Bushpig this is the question what are your thoughts?

To Bushpig or not to Bushpig this is the question what are your thoughts?

Hi All I Have a mossberg 270 ATR fluted barrel and decent brake on the end full length (24" Or something).
    Im looking to build a Bushpig (Well for my mate not me) something nice and short for knocking round in the bush chasing stags and such.

I'm thinking 400m Max range set up for 1-200M.

Now I have an unexplained prejudice against the ole 270 I just think there are much better calibers out there (all of them haha).

But I do not want this to affect my Buddy getting the best gun for the job so, Shall we bush pig this gun (It is a very nice example of an ATR) or try trade it for a 30cal or something like that?

I feel like short barrels are not the most efficient use of a 270's ballistics??

Will probably use factory ammo at this stage.

30 cal for your intended use.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    Timmay and JD300 like this.

I am currently in the process of doing the same short barrel bushpig set up. I started from scratch with buying a rifle to suit and after my digging around and mr google research I came to the conclusion a 308 is best suited to the job so I am using a tikka as starting point.
    If it helps try googling 270 barrel length v velocity and see what comes up and do some research as to whether you think it is worth doing and just how much performance you will lose.
    But it seems to me the 308 appears to be the best choice for what you are thinking of doing.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    I am currently in the process of doing the same short barrel bushpig set up. I started from scratch with buying a rifle to suit and after my digging around and mr google research I came to the conclusion a 308 is best suited to the job so I am using a tikka as starting point.
    If it helps try googling 270 barrel length v velocity and see what comes up and do some research as to whether you think it is worth doing and just how much performance you will lose.
    But it seems to me the 308 appears to be the best choice for what you are thinking of doing.
    Yes I agree .308 would be my choice 270 needs a longer barrel to finnish burning their powder and they kick like a mule for what they are throwing around.

A 308 or (yikes) 7mm08 would be what you are looking for imo ---- I wouldn't look past a .260 either though if you want softer recoiling.
    JD300 likes this.

what about a 160gr heavy in the 270? If its not for far away stuff doesnt have to be loaded so hot
    or this maybe from a tried and tested 270 fanboy? light bullet going fast maybe not recoil as much?
    Already have the rifle
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....6-270-a-43283/
    JD300 likes this.

A little rem mod 7 or mohawk would be ideal and no modification needed. Thompson Conteder in 308 is compact and very accurate with rem 150 corlokts and very cheap.
    Pengy and Moa Hunter like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Cheers mate looking to keep to factory ammo at the moment no 270 reloading gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    A little rem mod 7 or mohawk would be ideal and no modification needed. Thompson Conteder in 308 is compact and very accurate with rem 150 corlokts and very cheap.
    Yea I like the sound of that will ask him if a single shot would suit what he wants good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JD300 View Post
    Yea I like the sound of that will ask him if a single shot would suit what he wants good idea.
    On that recomendation, I have a Model 7 308 cut to 16.5" with a DPT over barrel suppressor (OAL is same as when it was 20"), Talley LW rings and swaro 3-9x36... I bloody love that thing.
    JD300 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    On that recomendation, I have a Model 7 308 cut to 16.5" with a DPT over barrel suppressor (OAL is same as when it was 20"), Talley LW rings and swaro 3-9x36... I bloody love that thing.
    Hey @Timmay...are you using factory ammo through that rifle , and if so what do you use ?
    born to hunt - forced to work

Nah, reloads mate. I've tried 130gn TTSX's which I didnt like the way they killed, Im now on 125gr Pro hunters, havent shot anything yet tho.

You can get the Thompson Compass with bolt action 5 shot mag. I tested one and accuracy was 1/2 moa out of the box; after I checked action screw torgues and bases etc. Here is a link. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tho...-action-riflet
    Last edited by Woody; 28-10-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    JD300 likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

nothing at all wrong with poohseventy....
    Duleys have been using one as bush rifle as sponsers wanted factory rifle and ammo last season...they ran the numbers and poohseventy WON HANDS DOWN..... poor ol Greg isnt a fan of cartridge but sucked it up and they did well with it..federal fusion was ammo of choice I believe.
    mine came from factory at 21" and even with suppressor on end works fine in tight scrub....used to pee me off a longer barrel,now Ive slowed down the extra length is fine.
    tried very short barreled rifle and YES nice to bush stalk with...but end of day,the extra length and velocity cancel it out.
    the poohseventy isnt overly well catered for in factory ammo if you want something different.
    recoil can be worked around piece of piss.....110grn tsx is a WAAAAY better load than a 130grntsx with monos speed is everything.
    you are basically turning it into a 243 by using 110grn loads
    or you go other way and go 150grn slightly slower.pretty sure a highland 150grn load will be slower/ligher recoiling PRIVI is same stuff.

I have seen a very lethal 270 in action...18 inch barrel shooting 140gr SST's.......actually should have said very very lethal...and super accurate.
    jord and JD300 like this.