Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Is buying 69 firearms from GunCity in 18 months signs of an addiction ?

Is buying 69 firearms from GunCity in 18 months signs of an addiction ?

Or signs of something else ?

Peter James Edwards purchased 74 firearms, including Ruger .22 rifles, and modified them to make smaller weapons to sell to criminals.
    An unemployed Auckland man spent $50,000 on firearms then sold them to gang members and other criminals.

Peter James Edwards purchased 74 rifles and shotguns in just 18 months, then "pimped" the weapons by cutting down the barrel or stock and adding pistol grips and silencers.

The pistol-sized firearms, which are easily carried and concealed, are highly prized in the criminal fraternity and the case has highlighted how easily guns can fall into the wrong hands.

Yesterday, Edwards, 58, pleaded guilty in the Waitakere District Court to supplying firearms to unlicensed individuals, supplying a pistol and supplying methamphetamine. He was remanded in custody and will be sentenced on July 1.

Critics say firearm record-keeping in New Zealand is poor after the system of licensing each firearm was abandoned in 1982 in favour of registering gun owners instead.

The result is that the police have no idea how many guns - legal or illegal - there are in the country or how many stolen or modified guns are in circulation.

Edwards held an A-category firearms licence and bought 69 firearms from Gun City stores in Auckland and Christchurch between May 2012 and last December.

He spent $50,000 on firearms alone but also bought 16,000 rounds of ammunition, pistol grips, folding stocks and silencers.

He modified the firearms in his shed, often removing the serial numbers, then sold them to criminals including patched members of the Head Hunters who are not able to legally purchase weapons.
    69 in 19 months from GC = 3.5 firearms each and every month I assume he was buying in person rather than online and visiting the AO every month ???. But these minor details are missing.

Bloody meth morons.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Whilst I appreciate that Gun City is in the business of selling firearms to people that hold a firearms license, I struggle to understand how the volume of transactions with one individual would not raise questions a whole lot sooner.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Whilst I appreciate that Gun City is in the business of selling firearms to people that hold a firearms license, I struggle to understand how the volume of transactions with one individual would not raise questions a whole lot sooner.
    BIG +1 Rushy....that is really slack from GC, surely they would have an electronic book keeping system with the volume of firearms they sell?........I know the smaller stores just have a book on the counter to record FAL details, but GC!!!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Ejected
    Have never brought new from store, do they take down your details or just view your licence?

In wairoa one shop when buying ammo they scan the bar code anothe he just looks at it. In H&F Naiper the details are put in a book on the bench.

like rushy Im intrigued too that such a high volume of sales to one individual went unnoticed.Ive purchased from guncity and more than once had my details recorded for their records.surely a simple computerised flag could be raised signalling further action could be warranted

I think all gun shops are required to record buyers firearms lisence details. Its not a new thing. The AO comes around and checks them on occasions.

I'm amazed he managed to get served that many times, nobody wanted to know me yesterday.

Seriously though, someone must have noticed an unusual volume. I've worked in electronics retail before and certain buying patterns stand out as illegitimate.

When I bought my rifles, the details have gone into a hand written book, I assume GC keep a record too, ammo sales have only ever been a visual.
    stumpy likes this.

Ejected
    For it to work effectively you would need a database that all stores enter details of the purchaser into otherwise if he's making that much of guns you would just drive around the country buying two-3 from each shop.

Even if he bought them from different stores, if someone comes into your shop even once every 8 weeks you remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by square1 View Post
    Even if he bought them from different stores, if someone comes into your shop even once every 8 weeks you remember them.
    Once every 8 weeks is nothing.
    Serious Shooters and Reloaders know me pretty well.
    Spanners, Nibblet and grunzter like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Or signs of something else ?.........69 in 19 months from GC = 3.5 firearms each and every month I assume he was buying in person rather than online and visiting the AO every month ???. But these minor details are missing.

Bloody meth morons.
    There is no requirement for fire arms retailers to monitor sales, only sight the buyer's fire arms licence and if satisfied, record the details in their register.

I am puzzled however, as to why you say, "and visiting the AO every month.." as that is not necessary when buying a A cats as this chap was. (Might be for other cats , but I plead ignorance there :>)

"Speaking from Europe last night, Gun City owner David Tipple said his stores sold tens of thousands of firearms a year and it was not unusual for customers to buy a large number.

So 69 firearms bought by one person over 18 months might not have immediately raised any concerns, he said.

Mr Tipple acknowledged, however, that staff did keep an eye out for any suspicious behaviour.

"We work very closely with the police on a daily basis ... and we are known by the police to support [reporting] unusual activities."

Yup, I believe you
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    There is no requirement for fire arms retailers to monitor sales, only sight the buyer's fire arms licence and if satisfied, record the details in their register.

I am puzzled however, as to why you say, "and visiting the AO every month.." as that is not necessary when buying a A cats as this chap was. (Might be for other cats , but I plead ignorance there :>)
    He was also buying from the Chch store, so would have needed AO to complete postal mail/order purchase form.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    He was also buying from the Chch store, so would have needed AO to complete postal mail/order purchase form.
    Unless his "business " took him there on occasion of course and he purchased over the counter ?? Probably claimed the fares and accommodation as a business expense.

I reckon what he has done any one could do probably travel length of NZ once with a trailer and buy hundreds no questions asked .. There's not really an answer is there ?
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..