Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Buying advice - scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    You need to make one fundamental decision: Duplex reticle, BDC reticle or MOA/Mildot reticle? The minute you step out of the bush into open country, the game changes. The right reticle for the conditions you are hunting can have a bigger influence than pretty much any other aspect of the optics or rifle. I don’t think you need a ballistic turret by the sounds of things.

My recommendation is to select a BDC reticle that you know in advance of purchase will work with the ballistics of your cartridge. Most BDC reticles are set up to work with standard ~2800fps cartridges, So if you are well outside of that you need to triple check how it would work for you.

There really is nothing more effective than being able to go from point blank conditions in the bush to looking out 300m across the gully and knowing exactly what hold over you need from understanding the reticle.
    I’m sure that makes perfect sense to someone with the technical knowledge to understand it. So thank you.
    How would I go about figuring out what would work with my Cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    I’m sure that makes perfect sense to someone with the technical knowledge to understand it. So thank you.
    How would I go about figuring out what would work with my Cartridges.
    What Ammo do you shoot? If you would prefer to hold over for longer shots rather then dial, you may be better off with a first focal plane (ffp) scope such as a vortex viper pst as the BDC reticle will work at any magnification range, whereas a second focal plane scope (Sfp) will only work at a certain magnification.
    Last edited by Liam258; 30-09-2020 at 08:17 PM.

My suggestion is to keep it simple, simple, simple. The 6.5 sighted about 60mm high @100, will be about the same @ 200, zero @250, and about 60mm low @300. No need for holdover, or dialing, or a rangefinder. Dont have to know maths, dont have to have one of those bloody apps on your phone. Point and shoot, just like its been done by most hunters for the past 50, 60, 70 years. Then as you gain experience and knowledge, then progress on to trying further than 300 if thats what floats your boat. Your budget will allow for a pretty decent scope, that may very well last you for many years to come. And the 6.5 can shoot way beyond 300......in experienced hands. When hunting the bush you will barely notice the difference between 2X and 3X, and if you go beyond 10X then parallax becomes an issue and you will probably have a parallax turret on the side of your scope. If you dont want to worry about any adjustments like parallax the keep it down to 9-10X. Which is perfectly adequate for 300 metres plus.
    Brian, Danny, Shearer and 2 others like this.

I guess another thing to add about the ffp scopes is they can be a bit more expensive and generally weigh more which you may not like if the majority of your hunting is bush stalking.

Next question... factory ammo for the 6.5 Swede?
    Just...say...the...word

What is the Bushnell you have been using @Elrond?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

There are plenty of options if you are patient you can pick up good second hand optics for around or less than $1k. Given you mainly bush hunt a 2 or 3 to 9,10, or 12 x40 with ballistic reticle would be good investment. I’d try to get best optical quality possible eg Swaro Z3, or Kahles or Zeiss HD5, or DL. You would also be well served by some of the older Burris signature select models like 3-12x44 or 2-12x44. Not many come up for sale but you’d get one for under $500. Bushnell 6500 series, like 2-16x42 are worth a look. If you want to spend more then any of the Leupy VXs with firedot reticle are really hard to beat. You rarely see them for sale but the VX-r Patrol in 3-9x40 with firedot reticle would be less than $1k.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Next question... factory ammo for the 6.5 Swede?
    Just reread my response to your earlier question and I come across like a prick. My sincere apologies. I genuinely am grateful, just not technically minded at all.

I use Selier & Berlot 140gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    What is the Bushnell you have been using @Elrond?
    It’s a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40

What ever you get make sure that it is as good as the Bushnell in last light. Many are not.
    dannyb likes this.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ... Wong Far King Way

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....minated-65073/

Available $150 less without Ballistic Turret interchangeable kit
    Do you have a price for the 2.5-15x50?
    Would be a good option that somewhat combines the 2-10 and 3-15 Leupold VX5hd's.

Come to think of it I have a Trigicon 2.5-10 x 56 with tritium dot mildot reticle that’s sitting around doing nothing and needs a new home Very good optics, especially in low light. Yours for $800 pp

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Come to think of it I have a Trigicon 2.5-10 x 56 with tritium dot mildot reticle that’s sitting around doing nothing and needs a new home Very good optics, especially in low light. Yours for $800 pp
    Thanks for the kind offer, but I think it might be a bit too big for my needs, based on some of the points already made.
    Cheers

Swaro. Nice and light, canít beat them on resolution and light transmission for a pure hunting scope.
    Warm Barrels!

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Moa adjustments I bet?
    Warm Barrels!