Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cadwell Rock vs Rock Jr

Cadwell Rock vs Rock Jr

Looking at buying a front rest to use for testing loads and for "competition" - just started going to Cheltenham to take part in their shooting days, I'm not going there to compete but take part in the sessions to improve my shooting.

From what I can see the main difference between the two is the Jr doesn't have the side adjustment. Is that a big deal?

Has anyone tried both that can compare them?

Any alternatives in the sub 200 bracket also welcome.

I've got the junior and it's not high enough. It also gets really unstable when you wind it up too high. Other than that it's choice.

So I end up with it sitting on some books or boxes and a sandbag at the back then I have nothing to whinge about

ebf
    if you just want a rest for zeroing, load development etc, this is cheaper and a lot more stable
    Caldwell Deadshot Shooting Bags

i know you say you're not going to compete... but it's pretty addictive, so i would look at what class you're likely to be interested in, and get the appropriate rest (bipod for f-tr or full rest for f-open). it also has the benefit of using the same system for zeroing and shooting, there was a discussion about this about a month ago.

what stock do you have on your rifle ? the f-open sled type rests really need a wide flat fore-end to work optimally
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    I've got the junior and it's not high enough. It also gets really unstable when you wind it up too high. Other than that it's choice.

So I end up with it sitting on some books or boxes and a sandbag at the back then I have nothing to whinge about
    Bugger that, got enough to carry around already! Sounds like I might end up wishing I'd gone for the next model up.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    if you just want a rest for zeroing, load development etc, this is cheaper and a lot more stable
    Caldwell Deadshot Shooting Bags

i know you say you're not going to compete... but it's pretty addictive, so i would look at what class you're likely to be interested in, and get the appropriate rest (bipod for f-tr or full rest for f-open). it also has the benefit of using the same system for zeroing and shooting, there was a discussion about this about a month ago.

what stock do you have on your rifle ? the f-open sled type rests really need a wide flat fore-end to work optimally
    Tried a few different bags and not too keen, I think something like the rock would be better.

F-open I think is what I'm limited to shooting a 7mm08. I meant I'm not going to be able to compete with the guys with the big $$$s and experience, but I definitely want to do whatever I can to keep improving my own scores and quite happy getting a good rest to help with that.

When you say "full rest for f-open" do you mean the rock or are you referring to another model(s)?

I have a wooden Monte Carlo stock that's flat on the bottom and 40.6mm wide at the fore-end.

ebf
    Ya cbfb, you'll be in open, unfortunately that is the class where money talks.

I am competing in F/TR using a $ 400 Omark / Tasco combo

For f/open the high end rests are Farley and SEB etc, but you need a specific stock with a wide/flat fore-end to work well with those.

The way I look at it is that it is an individual sport, you are really competing against yourself. Just keep improving your own scores, then it is more than worth it.

For f/open the high end rests are Farley and SEB etc, but you need a specific stock with a wide/flat fore-end to work well with those.

The way I look at it is that it is an individual sport, you are really competing against yourself. Just keep improving your own scores, then it is more than worth it.
    My thoughts exactly mate, no way am I going up against the big boys with my wee hunting rifle but at the end of the day I just want to be the best shot I can be with what I've got to work with. That way when I get onto a reasonably long range shot on a deer I don't shit myself and mess it up. The guys actually said I was doing well for a hunting rifle, not sure if they were being kind!

I don't want to spend huge money on the rest as I just don't have it. Can't see anything better than the Rock at the moment under $200?

ebf
    Cool, shout if you ever come down for a shoot at Trentham. Steven (also on this forum) and I are there pretty much every weekend during summer.

There is a super longs in the Wairarapa this Sunday. Not 100% sure about the details yet.

Cool, shout if you ever come down for a shoot at Trentham. Steven (also on this forum) and I are there pretty much every weekend during summer.

There is a super longs in the Wairarapa this Sunday. Not 100% sure about the details yet.
    Yeah wouldn't mind a trip over to Trentham sometime is there an event calendar available? Would need a bit of planning.

Can't do this Sunday but sounds interesting, is it a regular thing? Furthest distance at Cheltenham is about 600yds I think, wouldn't mind going a bit further but that's going into unknown territory for me!

ebf
    Have a look at Wellington rifle assoc website, we are winding down for this season.

I think the Super longs is 1100, 1200 and 1300 yds shooting 1000 at Trentham on Sat

Have a look at Wellington rifle assoc website, we are winding down for this season.

I think the Super longs is 1100, 1200 and 1300 yds shooting 1000 at Trentham on Sat
    OK thanks will keep an eye out.

1300 yds that's 60 moa drop with my gun, think that's probably a bit ambitious!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Sinclair do a good adaptor (you could probably make your own?) Forend Benchrest Adaptor | Sinclair Intl so it rides a bag well.
    I got a real nice cast iron Hart front rest off TM set up for FT/R for nix. Couple of front bags as well as the big spikes for field shooting. May pay to keep an eye out?
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Sinclair do a good adaptor (you could probably make your own?) Forend Benchrest Adaptor | Sinclair Intl so it rides a bag well.
    I got a real nice cast iron Hart front rest off TM set up for FT/R for nix. Couple of front bags as well as the big spikes for field shooting. May pay to keep an eye out?
    Aye will keep an eye out on TM then. The guy who does my reloads said he would see what he could find too.

Quote Originally Posted by cbfb View Post
    Looking at buying a front rest to use for testing loads and for "competition" - just started going to Cheltenham to take part in their shooting days, I'm not going there to compete but take part in the sessions to improve my shooting.

From what I can see the main difference between the two is the Jr doesn't have the side adjustment. Is that a big deal?

Has anyone tried both that can compare them?

Any alternatives in the sub 200 bracket also welcome.
    Yeah hard choice, for under $200 I'd probably go good bipod and bags myself otherwise,

I use this,

Caldwell Rock BR

Its solid and stable, Ive tried a few others and Im not that impressed compared to this....but make sure what class you are shooting in.....as a 3 pronger isnt OK in some classes.

I dont use most of the adjustments, so something simpler with just a rise, well spread legs and hvy would be good enough I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Yeah hard choice, for under $200 I'd probably go good bipod and bags myself otherwise,

I use this,

Caldwell Rock BR

Its solid and stable, Ive tried a few others and Im not that impressed compared to this....but make sure what class you are shooting in.....as a 3 pronger isnt OK in some classes.

I dont use most of the adjustments, so something simpler with just a rise, well spread legs and hvy would be good enough I suspect.
    Hmmm depends on what you'd call a 'good' bipod. I've got a Versapod which is OK for use in the field but not stable enough for precision shooting. If you mean the bipod-on-steroids that the target guys use, I'm in Open (shoot a 7mm08) so might as well just go to a tripod rest.

The Rock BR looks awesome but is probably overkill for what I need - as you say something simpler should be OK. "The Rock" fills the gap between the BR and the JR.

The only thing is the feet need to be well spaced and the unit heavy to give stability, ive tried lighter smaller foot print units in FTR and I found them worse than a bipod once a bit of height gets on them.

Maybe see what others are using on the day and ask someone if you see them using "the rock" for an opinion, nothing worse than getting something and finding it sucks.

regards