Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717

    Can I Legally Buy Firearms in California while on Holiday?

    Trying to find out the answer to the question following question.

    Can I legally purchase firearms while visiting the USA and take them home with me?

    There's been plenty of people guess Yes and No, but none yet that really knows for sure.
    I have emailed the AFT and California Bureau of Firearms but have had no response from either.
    I am also thinking of trying the US embassy in Wellywood.

    I'm would like to buy these firearms in Los Angeles California and either ship them home to my local Police Firearms Officer for pick up on my return or carry them home in my checked in luggage via Las Vegas and Honolulu?

    We will be spending our time on Vacation in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Honolulu.
    We are flying with Hawaiian Airlines for the entire route except we are taking a bus from Los Angles to Las Vegas.
    We intend to vacation in the USA for 30 days.
    I do not intend to use these firearms at any shooting facility during my visit.

    I'm intending to enter the USA as a Tourist on vacation from New Zealand.

    I would like to purchase several handguns and bring them home with me.

    I will be entering the USA on the Visitor Wavier Program Visa (VWP).
    It appears from the AFT literature that I have read Non-immigrant Aliens (That's Me ) who enter the U.S. on a VWP are entitled to buy firearms.
    But I'm not really sure if this is correct or how I would get on carrying said firearms through other states.

    Any advice on how to legally purchase and ship said firearms while visiting the USA would be gratefully received.

    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers
    Pete

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    351
    Certainly in Missouri they didn't even ask for ID when buying a firearm...

  3. #3
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by .22-250 everything View Post
    Certainly in Missouri they didn't even ask for ID when buying a firearm...
    22-250 everything

    Can you please explain more.

    Did you ship the firearm home?

    Or

    Did you carry it home in your checked in luggage?

    Cheers
    Pete

  4. #4
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    8,013
    California is probably the worst state you could pick to buy guns in. As far as the specific question, I don't know with relation to the visa. Ordinarily it'd be just a matter of passing the background check (if buying from a FFL) and demonstrating residence in that state (depending on which state it is)

  5. #5
    Ejected
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    HBC, NORTH of Auckland
    Posts
    5,250
    Last time I looked into this the atf website said you couldn't even buy ammo unless you were there for more than 90days or had a special hunting permit/shooting competition? Was a while ago though

  6. #6
    Member dogmatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Gaul (Pukekohe)
    Posts
    4,234
    Ask Dave Tipple, he knows what not to do.

    Welcome to Sako club.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    122
    I'd bet Nevada would be a lot easier place to buy in.

  8. #8
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,697
    I was issued a Florida resident card when I sat my drivers licence there. Never bought guns with it but sure I could of.
    The 9mm Beretta was enough gun for me on the boat I worked on.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Trying to find out the answer to the question following question.

    Can I legally purchase firearms while visiting the USA and take them home with me?

    There's been plenty of people guess Yes and No, but none yet that really knows for sure.
    I have emailed the AFT and California Bureau of Firearms but have had no response from either.
    I am also thinking of trying the US embassy in Wellywood.

    I'm would like to buy these firearms in Los Angeles California and either ship them home to my local Police Firearms Officer for pick up on my return or carry them home in my checked in luggage via Las Vegas and Honolulu?

    We will be spending our time on Vacation in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Honolulu.
    We are flying with Hawaiian Airlines for the entire route except we are taking a bus from Los Angles to Las Vegas.
    We intend to vacation in the USA for 30 days.
    I do not intend to use these firearms at any shooting facility during my visit.

    I'm intending to enter the USA as a Tourist on vacation from New Zealand.

    I would like to purchase several handguns and bring them home with me.

    I will be entering the USA on the Visitor Wavier Program Visa (VWP).
    It appears from the AFT literature that I have read Non-immigrant Aliens (That's Me ) who enter the U.S. on a VWP are entitled to buy firearms.
    But I'm not really sure if this is correct or how I would get on carrying said firearms through other states.

    Any advice on how to legally purchase and ship said firearms while visiting the USA would be gratefully received.

    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers
    Pete
    Pretty sure you'll need State ID.
    The following list of prohibited persons[4] are ineligible to own or use firearms under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.[5]
    "Non-US citizens, unless permanently immigrating into the U.S. or in possession of a hunting license legally issued in the U.S."

    Plus you'd fail the background check if you couldn't provide a permanent US address. Without an export permit from the US your luggage and you won't be going far.

    Free tip : don't lock your luggage, TSA will open it anyway and if they can't easily open it, they'll just cut the lock off, and leave a nice pamphlet in your luggage saying why it was opened and don't lock it again. I was ion Florida last month.

  10. #10
    Member outdoorlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,922
    I'd be very nervous walking into LA Airport at the moment to check a gun in to bring home! LOL
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Nah, it's all good, there's signs up everywhere reminding people on firearm declaration. The freaky bit is Terminal 3 where the shooting happened is right next to T2 where AirNZ is - Air NZ is the last door for T2 before T3 starts.

    Besides follow the rules - locked separate baggage, etc for your firearm - and provide the paperwork and you'll be good. But P38 I suspect the paperwork will be your downfall.

  12. #12
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Nah, it's all good, there's signs up everywhere reminding people on firearm declaration. The freaky bit is Terminal 3 where the shooting happened is right next to T2 where AirNZ is - Air NZ is the last door for T2 before T3 starts.

    Besides follow the rules - locked separate baggage, etc for your firearm - and provide the paperwork and you'll be good. But P38 I suspect the paperwork will be your downfall.
    Kscott

    I suspect your right.

    Still would like to purchase some firearms as they are mighty cheap state side, but I sure don't want to end up as Bubba's boyfriend either.

    Cheers
    Pete

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Quakechurch
    Posts
    1,344
    I read some recent stuff for At&F and it appears now that you can purchase and possess if you comply with state law, and you have a state hunting licence. This is under the Visa Waiver program... the absurdity would appear that you won't comply with many state's laws unless you can show that you were resident for more than 3 months. The visa waiver program is only for 90 days, so that would appear to be difficult. You can apply for extensions to the visitor waiver period, but again that may be interesting...

    You might have noticed by now that americans are not interested in working together from federal to state bureaucracy to achieve a desired result, they all just make it up to suit themselves.

    The other issue is that you would still have to secure a permit to export (from AT&F and that takes 2-8 weeks and you have to know exactly what you are exporting), before you could leave the country with the firearms that you had successfully and legally acquired??

    It may be possible to do this yet, and at least federally it seems doable.... some states may not have the 3mth residency difficulty. But of course you would then have to know whether you could take the acquired firearms across state borders, which is another can of worms.

    Given american paranoia and yourself being an "alien," you would have to be fairly certain you get all your ducks in a row.

  14. #14
    Member kimjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,633
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Kscott

    I suspect your right.

    Still would like to purchase some firearms as they are mighty cheap state side, but I sure don't want to end up as Bubba's boyfriend either.

    Cheers
    Pete
    Bubba needs love too...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Kscott

    I suspect your right.

    Still would like to purchase some firearms as they are mighty cheap state side, but I sure don't want to end up as Bubba's boyfriend either.

    Cheers
    Pete
    hehe. I don't think it's *that* cheap. Some parts are - magazines, etc - are for sure. Glocks $ for $ worked out roughly the same as what we pay, by the time you add duty, GST, etc. US$400 of a G4 G17, vs NZ$800 from GC that also comes with a warranty.

    I picked up some reloading bits and pieces and stuff - a few Dillon boxes for $2 for example, pistol case from BassPro shop for $5 and a 100 round case gauge from Ben Stoeger shop here that I had FedEx to my hotel. Apart from that, in honesty, I don't think you're not going to have a lot of success with buying a firearm per se. Just enjoy the whacky land - don't forget to hold your breath in LA 'cause it smells like a cross between an old man and a possum that's been dead for a week.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Holiday season Lab work.
    By Ruff in forum Hunting Dogs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 30-12-2012, 08:51 PM
  2. Holiday season Lab work.
    By Ruff in forum Dogs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 30-12-2012, 08:51 PM
  3. Aussie on Holiday!
    By josh676 in forum Shooting
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 02:11 PM
  4. Is Greendog on holiday in Queenstown?
    By dogmatix in forum Off topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-01-2012, 02:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!