Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ftx325
  • 1 Post By Ftx325

Thread: Carbon fiber stock protection

Carbon fiber stock protection

Hi all...
    I was just sitting here applying a protective film to my bushpig 308 over the carbon fiber stock and wondered if anyone else takes any steps to protect the finish from scratching etc on their carbon stocks .
    I use a motorcycle product made to protect the plastic panels on trail bikes from scrapes , called scuff proof .
    It is a sticky , clear plastic film around 1mm thick , and some of you may also use the same sort of stuff to protect vehicle paintwork or headlights .
    It also gives a nice gloss finish to the carbon and really makes the weave look nice , like a gloss clear coat . Makes it easy to wipe of the dirt too...
    And if it gets grotty the plastic peels off leaving no residue or glue on stock and can easily be redone .
    Does anyone else do this or have any other suggestions on how to protect the stock from getting scratches and scrapes .

Name:  IMG20210801130943.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  4.79 MB
    Name:  IMG20210801130957.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  2.89 MB
    Name:  IMG20210801131017.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  3.95 MB
    Name:  IMG20210801131207.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  6.84 MB
    kukuwai likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Most minor scuffs etc. can be removed with a light sand and then rub with a clear epoxy.

Bos
    When it comes to all of my hunting gear, Im pretty anal about looking after it, because after all, Ive got a small fortune tied up in it. So no-one really uses it except me and that way I've only got myself to blame when something gets damaged .
    Having said that, shit will always happen and if you end up with the odd rark on your stock then I reackon that adds character and you'll always remember the hunting trip when said rark happened.
    I wouldn't overthink the CF protection - theres a vid of a guy trying to break a CF stock over a concrete block without any success

No doubt a very affective way to repair scratches but wouldn't that leave a shiny area on a matt finished stock such as the one on my 308 from the epoxy ?
    I am kinda going on the theory of prevention is better than a cure .... If that makes sense

Hows it in the wet? Looks like it could be a slippery demon

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    When it comes to all of my hunting gear, Im pretty anal about looking after it, because after all, Ive got a small fortune tied up in it. So no-one really uses it except me and that way I've only got myself to blame when something gets damaged .
    Having said that, shit will always happen and if you end up with the odd rark on your stock then I reackon that adds character and you'll always remember the hunting trip when said rark happened.
    I wouldn't overthink the CF protection - theres a vid of a guy trying to break a CF stock over a concrete block without any success
    Yeah I'm a bit anal too and have noticed the stock getting marked from rubbing against my belted gear and bag when slung hence the wrap .
    No marks made anymore .
    Perhaps overly anal and paranoid but as you said , lots of money tied up in our gear and nice to keep it looking good where possible .
    An extra bonus with the stuff I use is it's slightly rubbery feel and makes the stock stickier to hold rather than the slightly slippery feeling without the wrap , like a hogue overmolded stock .
    Last edited by Ftx325; 01-08-2021 at 03:15 PM.
    Bos likes this.