Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryan
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By 40mm

Thread: A-Cat AR15 import ban

A-Cat AR15 import ban

Looks like the cops might have backed off on their improptu import ban, I was looking at Gun Citys AR15 page just last week and they only had three ARs in stock, I had another look today and there are like 30 A-Cat AR platform guns suddenly in stock. NZAR15 still has almost all ARs marked as out of stock though so I dunno. Have we had any news on developments in this retarded saga?

There was never an "impromptu A-cat import ban".
    grunzter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    There was never an "impromptu A-cat import ban".
    My understanding is they are being fitted with grip to stock bars and baby mags in the US so they are A-Cat while being shipped, yet sellers and A-Cat license holders are still being denied A-Cat import permits and are only able to import them as MSSA which requires the "special reason for import" which costs more and can easily be denied, and of course obviously isn't possible for an A-Cat license holder. And I also understand that all imported AR15 parts were being classified as MSSA parts even if intended to be put on an A-Cat rifle.

What am I misunderstanding?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/105...tomatic-rifles

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    My understanding is they are being fitted with grip to stock bars and baby mags in the US so they are A-Cat while being shipped, yet sellers and A-Cat license holders are still being denied A-Cat import permits and are only able to import them as MSSA which requires the "special reason for import" which costs more and can easily be denied, and of course obviously isn't possible for an A-Cat license holder. And I also understand that all imported AR15 parts were being classified as MSSA parts even if intended to be put on an A-Cat rifle.

What am I misunderstanding?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/105...tomatic-rifles
    Everything you said is largely untrue.

"Stock bars" are most commonly fitted in country. Most are NZ made or assembled.

License holders are generally not being denied import permits for A cat AR.

Import permits are free, regardless of the category of firearm.

It is entirely possible for A cat holders to get import permits for A cat ARs and routinely done. In fact, any part for an Acat AR15 other than an upper or lower receiver does not require an import permit. So it is actually easier to import A cat AR 'parts' than E cat 'parts' which require a permit for everything.

No, all AR parts are not being interpreted as MSSA parts regardless of category. This is even specifically stated on the NZ POLICE website.

Current obstructions on imports are only really being imposed on dealers, not private licence holders.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Koshogi; 28-10-2018 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    Everything you said is largely untrue.

"Stock bars" are most commonly fitted in country. Most are NZ made or assembled.

License holders are generally not being denied import permits for A cat AR.

Import permits are free, regardless of the category of firearm.

It is entirely possible for A cat holders to get import permits for A cat ARs and routinely done. In fact, any part for an Acat AR15 other than an upper or lower receiver does not require an import permit. So it is actually easier to import A cat AR 'parts' than E cat 'parts' which require a permit for everything.

No, all AR parts are not being interpreted as MSSA parts regardless of category. This is even specifically stated on the NZ POLICE website.

Current obstructions on imports are only really being imposed on dealers, not private licence holders.

It’s not just dealers being affected by this, I have had A Cat Ar parts stopped by customs recently, the arms officer I spoke with to have them released told me to apply for a permit because all Ar parts are concidered to be mssa parts.

Its a common complaint that AOs are interpreting the act to suit either their personal view or that or their seniors.
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
    It’s not just dealers being affected by this, I have had A Cat Ar parts stopped by customs recently, the arms officer I spoke with to have them released told me to apply for a permit because all Ar parts are concidered to be mssa parts.
    You should tell that AO to read his own website:
    "There has been no re-classification of AR15 type semi-automatic weapons nor has Police*made any proposal*– an individual or a dealer can still continue to apply to import these weapons. These continue to be treated as an either an A-category or an E-category firearm*depending on the individual specifications of the firearm."

http://www.police.govt.nz/advice/fir...ws-and-updates

Someone please start manufacturing all the ar parts here please. And it would be ultra nice if that someone could follow Henry Fords mass production example.....
    That should sort the problem out.
    199p and Moutere like this.
    Use enough gun

From my understanding is police are getting at dealers for importing and holding parts.

Seemed to me they trying to get people to cut out the dealers and just import them selves.

My thinking for this is working backwards then they know were the guns are by who is bringing in the parts for them. Well some of them anyway were as parts from dealers can go anywhich way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I had posted in an ar15 mag the other day from Israel, I could tell the package had been opened, although it did not have an opened by customs sticker on it which has happened on knife parts before, but it then made it through the post fine, I did not apply for a special license.
    I wonder if magazines are classified differently?

I was asked to apply for a import permit for detent springs and glock magazine springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I was asked to apply for a import permit for detent springs and glock magazine springs.
    Glock magazine springs is fair, given they are a part that can pretty much only be fitted to a B-cat firearm (and usually larger than 7rds).

Detent spring, could go either way depending on the firearm it will be fitted to. So shouldn't necessarily be required