Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Max Headroom

Thread: A cat AR15 magazines

A cat AR15 magazines

Too make a discussion from the buy and sell page a bit more official, what 7 shot mags are best quality and best value for money these days?

I know you can buy some polymer ones direct from Israel, but with the US dollar and shipping costs its about the same price to buy the MZ made Spear mags.
    I've also seen other Israeli mags made by Elander, supposed to be well made but are steel, so heavy and more prone to scratches than plastic ones.

i have zero issues with the spear mags. work as well as my metal mags

When I bought my NEA15, I got an ASC 7 shot mag with it .

Also bought some clear plastic 7 shot Spear mags.

I prefer the Spear mags. If I ever changed my AR over to E cat, I'd happily buy more 20/30 rd of the same brand.

One thing to note: I found that not all mags and magwells play together nicely. I bought clear mags after finding that black ones of the same brand were a struggle to fit in my magwell.

So a good fit is a factor, as well as value.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Lancer mags.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Best I have found is using a 10 shot magazine with something to limit follower travel so the magazine only accepts 7 rounds.
    I have 5 AR Stoner mags like this and they are perfect!
    Name:  20140815_215547.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  84.3 KB

The magazines that have the partially packed springs to limit the capacity I have found to be completely useless, and FTF's or FTE's are common.
    Like this (pic from www):
    Name:  5-65.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  37.2 KB

I have an ACS mag with that spring setup. I could only load 4 rounds in instead of 7. So I cut 8 coils off the base and it has worked fine ever since. Just won't lock open on an empty chamber. The Bolt seems to skate across the top of the mag follower instead of stopping behind it.

Getting a good 7 shot Steel mag seems to be a bit of a lottery.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Seems like the spear mags are well thought of, might buy a couple and see how they go before investing too much into them, realistically probably only need 3 or 4.

If you're buying from a shop, can I suggest you take your AR there, and try the mags in the rifle. This will mean that you know on the spot whether the mag is a good fit or not.
    A330driver likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I have an ar stoner and an e lander. They both seem good. Never used them yet.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Seems like the spear mags are well thought of, might buy a couple and see how they go before investing too much into them, realistically probably only need 3 or 4.
    Im pretty sure I have a 7 round Spear mag I could lend you to try if you want.

I find that it is tight fit in my AR. It functions fine but doesnt drop free, however its not a race gun so its not really a problem. My ASC 5 round doesnt have the same fitment issue.