Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: A-Cat semi-auto mag capacity

  1. #1
    Member rockland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Top of the South
    Posts
    421

    A-Cat semi-auto mag capacity

    Been following a thread on the Other Forum (I'm a slut like that) about magazine capacity...

    from the Arms Act:
    "military style semi-automatic firearm means a firearm that is
    a semi-automatic firearm having one or more of the following features:
    a magazine (other than .22) that
    (a) is capable of holding more than 7 cartridges; or
    (b) is detachable, and by it's appearance indicates that it is capable of holding more than 10 cartridges".

    The poster comments: "...a detachable 10 shot mag is permitted as long as it doesn't look like it takes more than 10 shots. This is a change from the first definition of MSSA
    where the detachable mag capacity was 7 shot".

    So...I have an A-Cat licence. I have a couple of steel 10 shot mags for my AR that have been factory pinned to 5 shot.
    Would like to grab my power drill and drill out the rivet to restore capacity to 10 shot.

    Is this legal? Would appreciate your opinion.

  2. #2
    Ejected
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    HBC, NORTH of Auckland
    Posts
    5,250
    I have always been under the understanding that a mag capable of holding any more than 7 rounds in a center fire semi auto that is A-cat is illegal.
    So you could potentially modify your 5 round mags to hold an extra 2 shots but no more.

    That being said, more knowledgeable people will probably correct me.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    176
    If you insert a magazine capable of holding more than 7 rounds into your A-cat center-fire semi-auto rifle you're illegally converting it into an MSSA.

    Having the appearance of holding 10 rounds is a concession to the fact that most magazines manufactured in the world of similar capacity are 5 or 10 rounders.
    Kscott and gadgetman like this.

  4. #4
    Member stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Clarks Beach, (South of) Auckland
    Posts
    1,736
    Your 10 shot mags are allowed to hold up to 7 rounds. You can de-pin them and re-pin them in a different spot to go from 5 to 7 shots.

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    So...I have an A-Cat licence. I have a couple of steel 10 shot mags for my AR that have been factory pinned to 5 shot.
    Would like to grab my power drill and drill out the rivet to restore capacity to 10 shot.
    Don't.

    Spend the time and money like everyone else who has endorsements.
    Steve123 and rockland like this.

  6. #6
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    16,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
    If you insert a magazine capable of holding more than 7 rounds into your A-cat center-fire semi-auto rifle you're illegally converting it into an MSSA.

    Having the appearance of holding 10 rounds is a concession to the fact that most magazines manufactured in the world of similar capacity are 5 or 10 rounders.
    +1

    The (b) above means you cannot pin an 11 round or greater mag to 7 or less and have it as A-cat.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  7. #7
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    4,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
    If you insert a magazine capable of holding more than 7 rounds into your A-cat center-fire semi-auto rifle you're illegally converting it into an MSSA.

    Having the appearance of holding 10 rounds is a concession to the fact that most magazines manufactured in the world of similar capacity are 5 or 10 rounders.
    Got stopped by cops on way home random breath thing, passed that but they saw the gun bag in the back asked to haul it out and show license. One copper sees its an sks with fullsize mag (but pinned at 7) gets a bit bolshi. Thank god for the sgt there who sorted it or off to the station it would have been
    Steve123 likes this.

  8. #8
    Member dogmatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Gaul (Pukekohe)
    Posts
    4,524
    As I said on that thread, Flintlock's interpretation is not correct.
    Welcome to Sako club.

  9. #9
    Member Jexla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    875
    That guy has no clue what he's on about. The appearance rule is to stop you pinning a 30 rounder to 7 rounds.
    Tasbay likes this.

  10. #10
    Member rockland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Top of the South
    Posts
    421
    Thanks for the responses fellas, looks like the drill's not an option!

    I see Spear Mags have 3 x 7 shot mags for $150 so might go with that.

    Kscott- yeah I will consider applying for an E endorsement, would make sense as I do a bit of pest control work.

    Thanks again everyone.
    Kscott likes this.

  11. #11
    Member Rock river arms hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Got stopped by cops on way home random breath thing, passed that but they saw the gun bag in the back asked to haul it out and show license. One copper sees its an sks with fullsize mag (but pinned at 7) gets a bit bolshi. Thank god for the sgt there who sorted it or off to the station it would have been
    If they had arrested you the best thing would've been to use the right to remain silent....

    If they hadn't then getting a lawyer and their advice would've been to; decline the offer to answer verbal questions but to answer written questions only and to fully cooperate with police In their investigation.

    It's much like changing your firearms storage, you don't actually have to go into the station to do it, a simple letter to the arms officer will suffice.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    Thanks for the responses fellas, looks like the drill's not an option!

    I see Spear Mags have 3 x 7 shot mags for $150 so might go with that.

    Kscott- yeah I will consider applying for an E endorsement, would make sense as I do a bit of pest control work.

    Thanks again everyone.
    It's worth the effort. The current number of shooters who go fuck you I'll do what I want with endorsements is high and disappointing.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    It's much like changing your firearms storage, you don't actually have to go into the station to do it, a simple letter to the arms officer will suffice.
    Worst. Advice. Ever.

  14. #14
    Member Rock river arms hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Worst. Advice. Ever.
    And your advice would be?.........what?

  15. #15
    Member Jexla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    875
    To be honest we just text our AO for changes of address.... (Her request)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: T/C R55 Semi-Auto .22lr
    By gimp in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-12-2015, 05:26 PM
  2. WTB 7.62 semi auto
    By Natatale in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-10-2015, 08:44 PM
  3. Best Semi -auto 22
    By Philipo in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 16-10-2014, 05:41 PM
  4. semi auto 22
    By NAKIMAN2 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 16-10-2014, 01:57 PM
  5. semi auto 243?
    By samba in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 19-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!