Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Change my mind...

Change my mind...

Seriously considering a short bush gun project in either 7.62x39 or 300Blk.

Will be based on Howa Mini but only if can source a Jefferson bottom kit (cannot tolerate protruding mags).

Purpose will be CNI bush, lucky if more than 70m. More like 25-40m at MAX. Last one was about 11m.

Reds/Sika occasionally slightly longer on Fallow. Don't need to be hyped up Roar Stag capable as have the .308 for that.

Don't reload as of yet so factory ammo a must. Barrel will be short enough to be suppressor at just off fore stock.

Am leaning towards the x39 as have had success with the calibre before, however would like to play with subs and .300Blk is much more suitable for that with factory ammo.

Pros/cons... Sell me a dream.

7.62 x 39 wins on the basis of cheap ammo availability.

But what about 6.5 Grendel? I know you are talking about only shooting at short bush ranges but it seems like a really interesting cartridge that punches well above it's weight.
    300CALMAN and Steve123 like this.

Actually @Chur Bay I have considered it. And yes it does look interesting, however being tighter than an Otters pocket I would like to try limit the amount of extra cleaning kit, .30 cal suppressor interchangeable between firearms.

Never know though..might be a "Preacher builds 6.5 Grendel" thread sometime soon.

Add the Grendel to my original post and let's hear it?
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Seriously considering a short bush gun project in either 7.62x39 or 300Blk.

Will be based on Howa Mini but only if can source a Jefferson bottom kit (cannot tolerate protruding mags).

Purpose will be CNI bush, lucky if more than 70m. More like 25-40m at MAX. Last one was about 11m.

Reds/Sika occasionally slightly longer on Fallow. Don't need to be hyped up Roar Stag capable as have the .308 for that.

Don't reload as of yet so factory ammo a must. Barrel will be short enough to be suppressor at just off fore stock.

Am leaning towards the x39 as have had success with the calibre before, however would like to play with subs and .300Blk is much more suitable for that with factory ammo.

Pros/cons... Sell me a dream.
    I've been thinking of doing the same thing when funds allow, I like the 7.62x39 for good factory hunting ammo, cheap(ish) plinking mil-surp ammo, and once you do reload there are a lot of projectiles designed for the .303 that should work. I'm thinking something around 200 grain cast lead hollow points for sub loads, I've loaded jacketed 7.62 subs before but there is about zero expansion. I also like red dots for that kind of range, I have an Aimpoint which has been orphaned which will hopefully go on mine once I sort it. Those Jefferson bottom kits look well made but pricey, I think I'm going to try to kludge something together with spare parts. I did find that the magazine box, spring and follower from a Zastava M85 fit into the Howa mag well and allow it to cycle and feed, at least the .223 model did, and I'd have a go at cutting and welding an aluminium bottom metal myself.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out why Howa didn't factory option hinge floor plate for the mini action. Seems like a huge wasted opportunity from a marketing point vs fairly minimal production setup.

Should mention it will wear something like a 2-7x32 optic. Being cursed with astigmatism the red dots are less than optimum

x39
    Was using an AR15 in x39 up to the point it was confiscated for all of my deer and goat shooting. After the confiscation I bought a Ruger Ranch as I already had 10 round mags from my Mini-30 (also confiscated) which fit the bolt action.

My experience with the x39 out to 120m is that it is a one shot kill every time, with minimal meat damage, maximising your meat harvest.
    300CALMAN and Moa Hunter like this.

@tikka would have some valuable information on the 300blk performance on animals if you choose to go that route. He's posted a few successful hunting storys with his one.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 12-02-2021 at 08:00 PM.

I loved my wee norinco x39mm ,the short light carry thing was awesome...BUT decided there was nothing it could do the 308 couldnt do better and the chance of deer on clearing at my lookout spot.300-350 yards was ALWAYS on mind when not hunting with someone else with longer range capability.
    the hornady 50 pack with sst projectiles was awesome and reloading for wee cartridge was a doddle.
    my take on cartridge was DONT SWEAT accuracy.....its pointless on sub 150 yard rifle.... if it will poke bullets into less than 3" whats to not like????
    simple chest shots at bush ranges put deer out for count...and pigs n wallabies hated that rifle.
    its in loving hands now and getting 2nd life.
    you need to make it VERY diferent to your 308 or you will find same issue I did.....

MB
    Just been through this. Went for a single shot Bergara in 300BLK. Single shot because single shot rifles are shorter than bolt actions. Wanted a subsonic setup and don't reload, so options are limited. I went 300 BLK. Note there is only one factory subsonic 300 BLK round available in NZ that's designed for hunting, Hornady Sub-X. I bought it with the intention of shooting goats in dense bush, but haven't found any since I got the gun. Have shot bunnies, turkeys and a wallaby with it. They died, but it is not a devastating round by any means. Muzzle energy with subs is around 500 ft.lb. I'm a little concerned that it isn't up to the job. If it isn't I'll switch to supersonic rounds with a muzzle energy of around 1300 ft.lb, but supersonic rounds designed for medium size game are harder to find than you might imagine. If the supersonics rounds aren't up to the job, I'll go with my head, not my heart and get a 45/70. Probably another Bergara.
    Moa Hunter and Shadowsol like this.

Had a Jefferson on my Grendel, found it near impossible to load with the one piece scope base, changed to original floor plate with 3 shot mag, is very close to flush. It's on T/M with a five shot mag at the moment, still have the 3 shot mag.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Just been through this. Went for a single shot Bergara in 300BLK. Single shot because single shot rifles are shorter than bolt actions. Wanted a subsonic setup and don't reload, so options are limited. I went 300 BLK. Note there is only one factory subsonic 300 BLK round available in NZ that's designed for hunting, Hornady Sub-X. I bought it with the intention of shooting goats in dense bush, but haven't found any since I got the gun. Have shot bunnies, turkeys and a wallaby with it. They died, but it is not a devastating round by any means. Muzzle energy with subs is around 500 ft.lb. I'm a little concerned that it isn't up to the job. If it isn't I'll switch to supersonic rounds with a muzzle energy of around 1300 ft.lb, but supersonic rounds designed for medium size game are harder to find than you might imagine. If the supersonics rounds aren't up to the job, I'll go with my head, not my heart and get a 45/70. Probably another Bergara.
    which is THE main argument for the x39mm over the blackout...... and I agree 100% about subsonics on big game...it WILL work if everything is spot on.... but supers just do it so much better IN MY OPINION.
    hotbarrels and Moa Hunter like this.

Consider a Ruger ranch. The 16” coldhammer forged barrels offer excellent accuracy and the mag on the x39 is pretty close to flush. It’s also compatible with mini 30 mags if you want to bomb goats.

MB
    I know 7.62 x 39 is a popular round. It gets brought up every time 300 BLK is mentioned, but the dude doesn't reload and wants to hunt with subsonics. Any ammo options for that in NZ?

Belmont would do it.....Blackwatch..and others.

Not super fussy about it being subsonic but haven't really dabbled before and would like to. In saying that definitely still leaning towards the x39 again (last one was a single shot Baikal)

The only thing that turns me off the Ruger is that they had it nailed in the first case and then added the terrible (IMO) big mag release etc. Yeah could modify it I guess.

I don't want "almost" flush. Hinged floor plate or no deal