Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By timattalon
  • 1 Post By timattalon
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem

Thread: Cheap .223 rifle wanted

Caretaker

Cheap .223 rifle wanted

A newbie Goat hunter is after a cheap .223

Anything considered
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I have Baikal Break opens in 223 and 7.62x39. Both ideal for goats but both only single shots. $445 plus freight, brand new if that interests you.

If looking at the Norinco 223 or 7.62x39 then the 39s seem to be better made. But if you can stretch it Zastava or Howa they are both well worth a look.
    7mmsaum likes this.

What's the budget?

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by misha2001 View Post
    What's the budget?
    "Anything considered"
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    "Anything considered"
    If that is the case then there are often 223 Howa's on trade me,. 2nd hand ones will be the normal short action but new ones could be the new mini action. Great value rifles and well worth checking out, but a 2nd hand Zastava is definitely worth keeping an eye out for. Look for about $600-$700 with a scope, $800 ish new from memory. Wooden stocks and light wee carbines. Open sights were standard when new.

Up side with the Baikals is if you wind up carrying it for the smaller shooters as they get tired, you can dismantle it and throw it in your day bag.....
    7mmsaum likes this.

There's a Rossi 223 on trade me at the moment, bit tactikool but original stock included. There a thread on the forum for it as well, auction currently at 300ish

just get a marlin xs7 bloody good accurate rifles though may I suggest a 243 rather than a 223 most would say its only goats but I say a living animal pest or non pest should be humanely shot 223 although good enough for someone whos a good shot I can be a bit funny if you don't place the shot well and everyone no matter how good fucks up from time to time 243 gives you a little more room for error I've listened to a goat slowly die down a gut with no way if getting to it to finish the job its not nice ..... and ammo cost difference is not much if you compare 2 ammos of the same quality there are cheep 223 ammo's but most of them are shit recoil is bugger all more ether
    WallyR likes this.