Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: cheap actions vs 'expensive'

cheap actions vs 'expensive'

accuracy wise, can/are cheap hunting actions be just as accurate as expensive actions? does most of your accuracy come from things other than the action?

e.g is a lapped and trued howa action going to have the same accuracy potential as a lapped and trued sako kimber cz win 70 etc? if you added match barrel on either and bed/float, will it shoot the same or very similar?

Two of the most popular actions for custom LR rigs on US forums are the Rem 700 and Savage 110, so I guess thats a yes - though I'm sure some have more/less potential than others.

Action stiffness is an important aspect (weakened by mag cutouts) along with the capability of having a decent trigger (as fitted and able to be fine tuned or an aftermarket). Along with the ability to be easily well bedded. Some actions are horrors for bedding. Then there are other issues like preferably having a short lock time. Good gas handling from ruptures also is a consideration although doesn't affect accuracy just your ability to see after such an event. Once you have the good basic action (and Rems are OK not just Yankee home grown hype) you can then go ahead and spend money on blueprinting it if needed. Although in some cases you can spend more on blueprinting than just buying a custom action straight up. I believe the Howa is solid OK action but have no personal experience with them.

I easily hit steel out to 750 meters (not yards) with my $600 Husqvarna, so no you don't need expensive rifles. I expect most off the shelf rifles are easily capable of hitting targets at 1000 yards.
    Smiddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I easily hit steel out to 750 meters (not yards) with my $600 Husqvarna, so no you don't need expensive rifles. I expect most off the shelf rifles are easily capable of hitting targets at 1000 yards.
    Good on yer mate. You hang on to that Husky.

sakos are expensive to true, 3 lugs and complecated. remmys are simple and the road most travel, so fimiliar for the gunsmiths so quick therfore cheep
    howa would also be a common road

As far as I understand the deal with going remington is the end weight is lighter than most customs,
    just bear in mind that 2k spent on a remington action dosent make it a action worth 2.5k so kiss the money goodbye as you spend it.

custom actions for the same money spent have better resale value, and are more sought after so easier to sell

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Good on yer mate. You hang on to that Husky.
    I think I will. I have a bad habit of buying things that its not worth selling

Dave, What I am trying to say is dont get hung up accuracy too much, (unless you're target shooting) be realistic about what youare trying to achive....

What do you want an accurate rifle for?

Nothing wrong with the Howa action, same as a Weatherby Vanguard and I think it is based on a Sako design (could be wrong?), Have seen many Howas straight out the box shoot as well as a custom rifle and the new ones have fantastic adjustable triggers (My .223s is as good if not better than the timney on my 7mmRM!)

Apparently they are becoming increasingly popular for project rifles over in the States.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

AB Precision

Re: cheap actions vs 'expensive'

Depends what you want to achieve, a good full built will shoot good with any loads an tiny holes with the right load, they take less playing with from the word in an you get just what you want not something you live with out of the box.

sent from my Samsung s3 using tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I think I will. I have a bad habit of buying things that its not worth selling

Dave, What I am trying to say is dont get hung up accuracy too much, (unless you're target shooting) be realistic about what youare trying to achive....

What do you want an accurate rifle for?
    why do i want an accurate rifle? is that a trick question>? haha.
    just curious as to how important the action plays in the scheme of things as you can get cheap rifles now that are crazy accurate and expensive ones that are not, plus everything in between. i went down the range the other day and the club im at in oz was having a target shoot comp at 200 yards. the guys had serious benchrest setups and custom actions etc and my little howa 1500 22-250 roo shooting gun outshot the large majority of them. i was thinking maybe that the cheap actions had the accuracy potential to match the expensive or custom actions if you got a good barrel, and that itd be something different to build a target rig on as opposed to the tricked up r700 that everyone has (including me) . or that ozzies are cock eyed shots haha

Howa's are great!!

Quote Originally Posted by ARdave View Post
    i went down the range the other day and the club im at in oz was having a target shoot comp at 200 yards. the guys had serious benchrest setups and custom actions etc and my little howa 1500 22-250 roo shooting gun outshot the large majority of them. i was thinking maybe that the cheap actions had the accuracy potential to match the expensive or custom actions if you got a good barrel, and that itd be something different to build a target rig on as opposed to the tricked up r700 that everyone has (including me) . or that ozzies are cock eyed shots haha
    I was chatting with a mate of mine who's over in Oz, he reckons he was out shooting bazillion dollar .300WSM customs with his trusty old .260, and causing some pained posteriors in the process.

I think the main thing to remember is that no matter the action, no matter the amount of that has been spent on it, you can't buy just being a good shot.
    veitnamcam and Dougie like this.

My Howa shoots 1/4" give or take depending on the load for three shots at a hundy. Minimal trueing was required (I think) by Abe too. That's enough accuracy for me.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

I have a trued Howa action but have not shot it in its new state. It shot well before the truing so I guess it'll be better?

The Howa action is apparently based on the Sako Forester.

Why bother with the hassle and price of a fancy schmancy custom action?

Only bother with a custom action , IF it brings something special to the table , my customs are all , very meaty , and have special features not found in std factory actions , ie Surgeons SA/XL & Badger 2008s , just do your homework as to want you want in action , or what you want it to do .

Simple way to get around action stiffness ( ie lite sporter actions ) , just use a heavy barrel and use a barrel block , ie float the action , easy .

Later Chris
    country cuts likes this.