Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Cheaper to run my 223....

Cheaper to run my 223....

Been into Hunting & Fishing this week to get some 17HMR & 22Mag ammo - fuck me I will not be buying from them....ever.
    $49.95 for 50 Remington 17gr HMR rounds? (No 22 Mag in stock...).
    Told them it was cheaper to run the 223 and that it was good to that these high margins are helping them reinvesting in making the store bigger...
    Any other stories of excessive pricing? Alternatively - any suggestions where to get cheap rimfire ammo?
    mikee likes this.

Caretaker
    Buy a .223 and suppress it

Download it if you want it uber quiet, Trailboss will even push projectiles subsonically.

Best varmint er ever
    dogmatix, ARdave, tikka and 3 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Yup - already running a 223, and based on the pricing at Hunting & Fishing; it is cheaper to run than a 17.
    Reloaders in Auckland have a better range of ammo, and better prices so will be stocking up next time I'm up there.
    I like to support local where possible, but there is a limit to how much reaming I can take....
    veitnamcam, Pengy and Shearer like this.

Ha ha mate bought a 22wrm for his boy thinking it would be more useful than a 22 now he wishes he bought him a 223 instead. If you shop round you can sometimes get bricks of ammo cheaper but it,s still not as versatile or as cheap as the centrefire especially if you reload

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Ha ha mate bought a 22wrm for his boy thinking it would be more useful than a 22 now he wishes he bought him a 223 instead. If you shop round you can sometimes get bricks of ammo cheaper but it,s still not as versatile or as cheap as the centrefire especially if you reload
    Rimfire has its place - haven't had too many rabbits that are edible after being hit with a 223 or bigger
    Steve123 likes this.

Fulla
    Iv asked the brick price before and got a bit off. But still expensive and of course your buying a brick at a time.
    Handloading the .223 is the way to go. Yeah you don't get much rabbit if shoulder shooting them but you can always move the poi higher up the neck.
    The worse thing about rimfire is finding the same ammo twice, I often get oh out of stock. Price 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Buy a .223 and suppress it

Download it if you want it uber quiet, Trailboss will even push projectiles subsonically.

Best varmint er ever
    Nice 85... here is my .223 75 laminate.

Welcome to Sako club.

If wanting more go than a 22WMR and cheaper ammo (handloading) yes the 223 is a good choice, but 222, and 22 hornet are also worth a look. From what I have seen a 22 hornet is well capable of beating a 22wmr, and is very cheap to reload. (or even a 17 hornet .....) 223 is more mainstream (common ) and 204 ruger as well as 222 will also sit in there nicely.
    northdude likes this.

17HMR is fun, and cheaper to run (check out these prices: Rimfire - Ammunition - Reloaders Supplies Ltd). Was really a poke at H&F and what happens when they expand their stores (and their markup to pay for it...)

res
    can reload 223 cheeper than even any of those reloaders prices,I love 17hmr but now only use it when I'm worried and bouncing rounds
    Using Tapatalk

When I looked at it I went for the 223 because the ammo was about the same price if I reloaded as 17HMR ammo and the 223 was way more versatile. If I want to eat it I head shoot it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    17HMR is fun, and cheaper to run (check out these prices: Rimfire - Ammunition - Reloaders Supplies Ltd). Was really a poke at H&F and what happens when they expand their stores (and their markup to pay for it...)
    Hunting and Thieving should rename it reamfire ammo.
    gadgetman and Nickoli like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Rimfire has its place - haven't had too many rabbits that are edible after being hit with a 223 or bigger
    True he already has a 22 but dad didnt think he could handle a cf yet!. Hes been out with me a few times and shot my 223 no probs, shot his first deer with a 300 winmag and wanted more.

Ejected
    I brought an AR with the aim of having a 10/22 on steroids. It's filled that role, handy semi thats easy to shoot, cheap to run and unlike the 10/22 can reach out to 200m.
    res and Steve123 like this.

Would love to use .223 but definitely a no-go where I shoot. A suppressed 17HMR has very low ricochet possibility (less than HP 22) and quiet.
    res likes this.