Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Cheapest most accurate and reliable rifle you've owned

northdude

Cheapest most accurate and reliable rifle you've owned

Mine would be a stirling semi I use to own any ammo worked never cleaned it cost me 80 bucks and man was it fukn accurate and never missed a beat

Damn, that is hard to narrow down.

The Norinco JW-15 cost $100 and is insanely accurate.

The Zastava 223 cost me $450 scoped and with the addition of a suppressor gives me 11-13mm groups at 100m.

The Savage 243 averages about the same as the Zastava but can do better when I do my bit right.

The Marlin 795 is not quite as accurate as the Norinco but about 0.7" at 50m. It has had a few thousand rounds through it and I have never had a jam.

I'm a tight arse and do a lot of research before I part with money.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Marlin model 60 22or bought off here for a couple of hundred. It's my main gun, love it. Just have to keep the action clean.
    Howa 22-250 wearing a falcon menace. Once i stabilised the stock it was great. It's my medium ranger. Never missed a heart beat.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk
    WallyR likes this.

T3 lite in 1:12 .223. Bloody awesome

35 years ago in NSW - Rem 700 22/250 BDL, before I got smart and fitted a 3-9 x 40 early model Leupold on it.
    Rem 55gr PSP out of 24" 1:12 barrel - dropped a wallaby, after it hopped twice and fell down dead, hit in the thigh.
    Ballistic tells me that the range (factory open sights), aiming approx 4' above it's head, plus about 20" to mid-thigh - 525-575 yds.
    Once the scope was on, using the same ammo, dropped Roos out to 450 paces (approx pace length = 1 yd Army) and grouped under 0.25" (5 shots - 1 minute breaks), at 300 yds on the range.
    Sporterised barrel used to get 'warm', even then.
    Great rifle - another that shouldn't have been sold/traded
    gadgetman likes this.

Tikka T3 in any calibre really, I've owned a few.
    andyanimal31 likes this.

Norinco JW27. Got as a straight swap from GC in the early 90s for a POS Savage Stevens that was actually being dropped off to go to the Gunsmith (again) that would not cycle. Fellow behind the counter did not bother asking why I bought it in and simply offered a swap for a new 22. To which I said Yes before he could change his mind.....( I was about to throw the Savage away and go buy a new one I was that sick of it...)

That JW27 is still one of the most accurate 22s I ever owned.
    WallyR likes this.

Weatherby vanguard 7mm rem mag- $560 with a timney trigger and stainless. .8 MOA on factory ammunition, load development and chassis system on the way :-).
    gadgetman and WallyR like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    1990 made Remington BDL 30 06, 600$ with bases and rings, shoots damn well and consistently with factory 150gr Winchester.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Got a Marlin XS7 .223 for free. Shoots great with everything. Have killed goats at 350m and steel at 500m. Cant complain.

Tikka t3 Wood/SS, SS Opti's, Burris ii, said to have been sighted in only and as new. All for $1000 Buy Now off TM. Shoots 1/2 MOA with 130gr Superformance

Brno mod 2 that I got on here for a few hundred (can't remember exact price, but under $300). Sighted it in with federal 555 box bulk ammo one afternoon with a 4x cheap scope on it and was amazed it did lazy 3/8" groups at 50m if I hold my tongue right. I'll own it for ever I reckon. I often take it to the range when I'm on duty for punters kids to use, when surprise, dad's .243 makes too much pow for them.
    gadgetman, tetawa and Skatieguy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Got a Marlin XS7 .223 for free. Shoots great with everything. Have killed goats at 350m and steel at 500m. Cant complain.
    Pretty hard to beat a free one for value!

I've had a good run with Savages, probably my favourite one is the Mod.14 Classic 223 that cost me $750 brand new and shoots a variety of different loads into half inch groups more consistently than I can. Even puts the 53gr Vmax and 68gr bthp loads to the same POI at 100yds which makes it easy to switch between them. Smooth action, nice crisp trigger etc.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 18-08-2016 at 08:01 PM.
    Savage1 likes this.

JW15 wins hands down, they are insanely accurate little rigs and a dime a dozen. Also, had a M70 in 6.5x55 that I got given and once i had the trigger sorted it was a laser, never looked after it very well either as had it through my teens/leaving home years but you could get it out every weekend and know it was going to put the lead exactly where it put it the weekend before.

Bsa sportsman 22 from memory $200ish. Could hit an empty 308 case at 30m everytime! Headshots on rabbits out to 60m quite easily if I did my part