Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 2 Post By Carbine
  • 3 Post By PeteD
  • 1 Post By bodvii
  • 1 Post By Sasquatch
  • 1 Post By tommygun

Thread: Chiappa rifles.

Chiappa rifles.

Considering the purchase of a Chiappa M1-22 Carbine or Chiappa RAK-22 as a plinking rifle. Are there any out there with an opinion regards accuracy, reliability etc ? Cheers.

my chiappa 22 l/s never made it thru the first mag tube. action disintegrated
    outlander likes this.

horrible POS jams like you wouldn't believe 2-4 shots jam per mag load over various ammo never again
    Dublin and outlander like this.

A 10/22 might be a more reliable option at a similar price.
    piwakawaka, Cordite and outlander like this.

A mate of mine had an M1-22 that I spent a bit of time shooting.
    The reliability was horrible, never once would it get through a 10 round magazine without jamming. The issue in the case of his rifle seemed to be with the magazine springs and after we had a play put some spacers in the base of the magazine, which reduced the capacity to 7 - 8 rounds, it would work 95% of the time. Also something to note is that the manual states really clearly you must wear safety glasses, and this is no joke. Because it's an open top it sends sparks and bits of unburnt gunpowder everywhere and I would often feel it hitting my face.

In saying all this it's actually a really fun gun for plinking, not sure if I'd use it for anything practical though.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bodvii View Post
    A mate of mine had an M1-22 that I spent a bit of time shooting.
    The reliability was horrible, never once would it get through a 10 round magazine without jamming. The issue in the case of his rifle seemed to be with the magazine springs and after we had a play put some spacers in the base of the magazine, which reduced the capacity to 7 - 8 rounds, it would work 95% of the time. Also something to note is that the manual states really clearly you must wear safety glasses, and this is no joke. Because it's an open top it sends sparks and bits of unburnt gunpowder everywhere and I would often feel it hitting my face.

In saying all this it's actually a really fun gun for plinking, not sure if I'd use it for anything practical though.
    That's convincing feedback, thanks. Perhaps I'll stick with the bolt guns for now.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Unless you got one cheap , or you are some sort of a masochist , I would stay away. But you might enjoy the challenge , who knows . Theres not much else to do in Ohura on the weekends so.....
    Assumption on your part O' weekend woodworker. Masochist...I don't own a couple of CX Hondas.

I'm not gonna lie, I have found most Chiappa rifles junk.
    outlander likes this.

Another vote for the old 10/22 from me. Mine was an abused former pest control one that was badly worn on the outside and had a bulge in the barrel, think I paid $100 from memory. Got it chopped and threaded just shy of the bulge and stuck the orphaned aimpoint on it and it's been surprisingly accurate and almost 100% reliable (I only use cci subs which I find the best, and the magazines will cause a jam if they are gunked up and also not been used in a while.)
    With all the aftermarket stocks etc for the ruger you could still scratch that tacticool itch too
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    Another vote for the old 10/22 from me. Mine was an abused former pest control one that was badly worn on the outside and had a bulge in the barrel, think I paid $100 from memory. Got it chopped and threaded just shy of the bulge and stuck the orphaned aimpoint on it and it's been surprisingly accurate and almost 100% reliable (I only use cci subs which I find the best, and the magazines will cause a jam if they are gunked up and also not been used in a while.)
    With all the aftermarket stocks etc for the ruger you could still scratch that tacticool itch too
    No itch. Just after a cheapy wood one now after all the bad stuff I hear on the Chiappa, it would have to be at a bargain price.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    The RAK-22 is actually made in Romania at the Cugir arsenal,so they should be quite satisfactory.They are just branded as a Chiappa......
    That's it. Same factory who makes the WASR AK's.