Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By MassiveAttack
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 5 Post By Shearer

Thread: Chopping a 270?

Chopping a 270?

Know a youngster who has a Howa in 270 - about 22" barrel. Shoots both tops and up close bush/matagouri work - so he's got the right caliber. Wants to suppress it to cut down both recoil and noise. He can fit a part over barrel suppressor but this will still add inches to length, and he needs to keep as short as possible.

Question for 270 users - can he cut anything off barrel and retain both good accuracy plus energy. He does not reload so its a question of powder volume/burn, twist rate/pill stabilisation etc. Even 2" off would help but am aware this is not an ideal caliber for chops.

Appreciate some experienced detail and advice on this one.

20" is fine. Ruger made a lovely 20" lightweight that performed really well.

Ejected
    I work chop it to what the gunsmith fitting the suppressor reccomends. Gunworks chopped my 3006 to 20.5 inches. If I had my time again I would have gone shorter.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    20" is fine. Ruger made a lovely 20" lightweight that performed really well.
    Yes, then use 140g Nosler ballistic Tip projectiles to retain good energy and terminal performance on all our Deer species.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Most suppressor manufacturers recommend a min of 20" for the. 270 I'm not sure why but it's a good length to cut it to.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Good - thanks for the feedback guys. If he can chop 2" and add a half over-barrel Dan Hardy or gunworks he will remain pretty close to original rifle length.

Which suppressor might best help him to keep it short?

I'll echo what everyone else had said and say 20inches is fine but you wouldn't want to go shorter than that. Dpt modular, gunworks maxis or Hardy gen 5 would be my pick all short and relatively lightweight.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Most suppressor manufacturers recommend a min of 20" for the. 270 I'm not sure why but it's a good length to cut it to.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    The main reason for that reccomendation is that if you go shorter the rifle gets louder because of the combustion not having enough barrel length to finish. As they are in the business of selling supressors they don't want anyone coming back saying it's too loud. So you can (and should) go shorter, it's just a little louder.
    tetawa likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Good - thanks for the feedback guys. If he can chop 2" and add a half over-barrel Dan Hardy or gunworks he will remain pretty close to original rifle length.

Which suppressor might best help him to keep it short?
    No question go with a DPT one. Gunworks is old tech and quite heavy. Dan Hardy has had too many blowing up for my liking. DPT is the lightest and it also allows him to make it even shorter and lighter by taking a few baffels out i.e. leave them all in for the range and run with a couple of baffels when out on the hills.

ok I do own a .270 that came out with 21ish inch barrel from new....it got a little pruned off to fit can but buggerall as it needs the length to do its thing.....personally no shorter than 20" for the cartridge...now as to suppressors
    there is a lot of BS being thrown around as to which is lighter/ shorter and better
    I went with a gunworks spartan as Im a tightwad and they are close by so didnt have hassles transporting and got to speak to people in person.
    I also have a DPT 5 baffle for same rifle that I was given by mate leaving country.
    which is quieter.....stuff all in it...dpt maybe by a flyshit but the GW has a bigger hole in the end as it also goes on my 7.62x39mm
    which is lighter...DPT but again only a flyshit...put 2 flyshits on it and they would be the same
    which is shorter.....this one surprised me DPT but by less than an inch BUT it feels like it balances further forwards as can doesnt come as far back over the barrel.
    they both work and work plurry well.if I was buying again for same rifle I would go GUNWORKS but get the fatter can so they could keep it shorter out front without loosing efficentcy...shouldve done it to begin with but I "thought" it would look gay being so fat...doh.
    thats my 2 cents worth.
    rossi.45 likes this.

I run a 20" Howa .270 with a Gen 4 Hardy can. All seems fine to me. Just a bit heavy, stug stock in a year or two will fix that. DPT would be a good idea.

If he reloads I would suggest a slightly quicker powder like 2209. I need to give this a try myself.

Just to go against everyone else...sell the 270.
    If you are going to chop it to 20" you may as well get a 7mm08 which will give away little in performance with that length tube. It will also achieve the aim of less noise and less recoil with factory ammo.
    I love the 270 but I hate seeing it strangled by cutting the barrel (24" is ideal) and for the sake of 2" is it worth it?
    Another option would be to get someone to hand load some slightly reduced loads with 130gn pills for the 270 (of which there are plenty of good ones). Still very effective but will also reduce noise and recoil.
    PS. A 270 with a 20" barrel will still be very effective, I am just pointing out there is more than one way to achieve the same result.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

DPT for sure

Cheers Antz

well pur shearer.....or go out and buy a elcheapho and cut it down for a bush hack...like my 7.62x39mm norinco..... and keep the .270 for tops trips or hunts from/close to wagon.

Hunted with a T3 270 chopped to 19.5" and suppressed for years and never felt undergunned. 150 LRAB doing 2840fps puts the hurt on to a long way away.