Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Classy lightweight takedown

Classy lightweight takedown

I’m getting more and more into tramping, as a few of my friends/family that enjoy the outdoors aren’t hunters.
    Lugging a rifle around for km’s when you’re unlikely to use it is burdensome, and leaving it home and seeing deer is also not fun.
    I like the idea of a light takedown rifle that can be stowed away until called upon.
    The ultimate would be a Win ‘92 takedown, but they’re scarce and expensive. I prefer wood/blue, so currently the baikal in 7.62x39 is looking good. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More meplat, more better.

My bergara in 308.... would need to get the hinge changed for takedown

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    dont blaser make a nice takedown single shot.
    Mate, if I can’t afford an old Winchester I sure as hell ain’t buying a Blaser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More meplat, more better.

I would get a 243 baikal or 308 if you can find a 308.

Much better effective range.

If its bush only then you can get a rossi in a pistol cartridge and they're cheap as
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Or a new Bergara single shot takedown in .308, or whatever you fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    My bergara in 308.... would need to get the hinge changed for takedown
    You really should buy 223nut's bergara... It's a bloody good price. I've already got a 308 in the safe and can't quite justify getting another one
    223nut and dannyb like this.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

I just got myself a Bergara takedown in .308. Very handy for when you end up just going for a bush walk, not seeing anything to hunt. Deciding on what optic to use however. Aimpoint or a scope...

Yeah, a Bergara B13.
    I was going to buy one, but I hate plastic. Otherwise they're pretty accurate from what I've heard, and they're quite solid little things.

Bergara B13 > Baikal.

Other option is a Thompson single shot. @akaroa1 can fill you in on his.

Does anyone still have the henkel takedown in nz? They looked/felt like a nice rifle.

Banned
    A mate made up a 'come possuming rifle' out of an old three o. Took the stock off and replaced it with a folding / swing into place skeleton stock and glued a piece of wood to the shortened barrel to replace the fore end. Not pretty, but cheap and effective.

Baikal in 308 and another in 7.62x39 on the yellow site at present. I am chasing a Baikal in 223 at present for the same reasons

I've got a Baikal, had a H&R "Handi" Rifle, and a TC Encore. The Handi is OK but fairly "un-refined" would be as kind as I'd describe it (the Rossi is worse). The TC Enchore is OK but dammed heavy, and the stock is a very acquired taste - they and the Contender look pretty odd as a rifle to my eye.

My 243 Baikal has been with a gunsmith for a year now, he was supposed to be figuring out how to redo the scope mount in a nice integrated way - but its obviously beaten him - I'll have to go claim it back! The Baikal is very functional but again - pretty crude with too much bulk in places - it needs to go on a diet, although the overall weight isn't too bad.

One day when I get rich I'm going to have a go at TC Contender, but modify the rear stockbolt angle so it can take a more conventionally shaped stock - this isn't a simple project due to the design of the action but . . . . the result if achieved would be light, handy, accurate and have a superb trigger.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I really like the sound of a lightweight Tramping Rifle that can be shouldered quickly when you see that tasty critter looking at you from 30 yd off the track.

Personally don't see much point in having the rifle in your pack, in 3 separate parts (unless it's a .22 you going to use for blatting possums around the hut after dinner).

The Bergara is a nice rifle. Haven't seen the Henry but looks good... although might need some surgery to lighten it up.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

Chiappa does takedown 1892's in 357, though they personally aren't my favorite manufacturer.

I always wondered about just unscrewing the stock on a rossi 92 357 magnum for pack carry. I think its only 5lbs. the 16" barrel version is about 83cm long from memory, take another 25cm for the stock you get say 58-60cm which will fit in a longish 35L daypack or anything larger. For snap shots with a red dot you can still aim okay like this as the 357 has buggar all recoil in a rifle. Its not legal to fire it without the stock attached in Australia but just for interests sake. Also unsure how it works for you guys. There is enough force between your grip on the forend and the master hand to also be able to work the lever without the stock on too. I have tried it during cleaning. The other issues would be making sure to keep the exposed springs clean during carry and whether unscrewing and screwing the stock will eventually loosen it.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Baikal in 308 and another in 7.62x39 on the yellow site at present. I am chasing a Baikal in 223 at present for the same reasons
    @ROKTOY I have a new 223 Baikal in the box if a second hand one does not turn up $495.....and can usually get it to Blenheim without to much hassle so Nelson could be fixed depending on urgency......

For real nice singles the Scott Trail specials are the Bee's Knee's but I do not know if he is still doing them.