Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Clip on NV help

Clip on NV help

Hey guys,
    Looking for some advice on clip on NV. I’m looking at either a PARD 007s or Sytong HT-77, I’ve done as much research as I can but I’m still unclear on the mounting system with regard to rear focus. I want to mount it on a Burris Signature HD 3-15 x 44 illuminated scope which has rear focus, parallax adjustment and is 46mm at the ocular end.
    Question is, will a clip-on work properly with no fuss with a rear focus scope, and is there anything I need to know about compromises that have to be made?
    Alternative is a dedicated NV rig but I can’t quite fund that at the moment and I’m very happy and confident with the current setup so love the idea I can quickly swap between day/night vision.
    Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He who has gas travels at the back of the pack

As long as you have parallax you will be fine. Every scope i know has rear focus, that's how you ajust it to people's different eyesight. Set it for your eyes fit the nv and then focus that. The NV unit has its own focussing both for the units camera on the scope image and the for the nv screen.
    tetawa, BSA270 and SimonJDH like this.

I've used a few resr clip on.. my biggest problem is the extra length towards your eye. I prefer my thermal forward clip on. That's great!
    Trout and SimonJDH like this.

Get a forward thermal clip on,have a fixed parralax on scope and get adaptor near the same size as yr objective bell.Yr clip on will centralize to yr scope nicely.Have a scope with a 1.5 to 2.5 low magnification so theres no pixilating till you get up to maybe 4x or 5x.Try to have a scope with the same or near field of view as yr clip on too.
    Larskramer and SimonJDH like this.

A limbsaver slip on recoil pad will fix the eye relief problem. Thermal is a whole different ballgame and much more expensive, I have a thermal monocular and nv and find the combination works very well. It also does a damn fine job when spotlighting.
    tetawa and SimonJDH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    A limbsaver slip on recoil pad will fix the eye relief problem. Thermal is a whole different ballgame and much more expensive, I have a thermal monocular and nv and find the combination works very well. It also does a damn fine job when spotlighting.
    Thanks mate, I think I was confusing focus and parallax when I was researching this when I thought about it!
    Yep that’s my plan, I already have a thermal handheld which is probably the most useful bit of kit I have and have had success using it in conjunction with a rifle mounted spotlight, my plan is to use the NV / thermal combo as you suggest, I generally need all the help I can get!

Thanks everyone for the input, any views on Sytong V PARD? I don’t see anything on the Sytong being waterproof (hunt a lot in Westland where it’s known to rain occasionally ) but other than that specs look very similar. I do like the built in rangefinder on the Sytong though.

Ok if you into NV,get a forward clip on,far less hassel than a rear clip on.
    Enjoy.
    Larskramer and SimonJDH like this.

TLB
    It will work fine. You get 1 adapter with the unit so depending on your ocular diameter is whether or not you'll need another adapter.
    Big plus with the night vision over the thermal is you can actually identify your target beyond all doubt. It also highlights if there is any brush etc in front of the target which may significantly reduce the bullet making it intact.
    Some have said thermal clip on, yeah they are quite literally 5 to 10 times the price.
    I use mine on 3 different rifles on any given night, .22, .17hmr, .223 are the ones I use several nights a week. I do stick it on a .308 and .270 for deer control. I don't have any problem with it coming back from the scope with the smaller calibers. However, on a rifle that creates more recoil, if you are shooting on an angle slightly up hill for example and you have the rubber eye piece around your eye then unfortunately you will get smacked in the face. Having a slip on recoil pad and holding your eye just back from the scope fixes this.
    I use thermal scopes as well as night vision and to be honest I reach for the night vision more than the thermal. The clip ons are fantastic to the point where I done away with my dedicated NV scopes all together. Sure the clarity was a touch better but the versatility wasn't there.
    BSA270, SimonJDH and witchcraft like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Ok if you into NV,get a forward clip on,far less hassel than a rear clip on.
    Enjoy.
    Thanks Trout,
    Any recommendations on a fwd mount unit? I can’t find many in stock in NZ.
    Cheers
    Simon

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonJDH View Post
    Thanks Trout,
    Any recommendations on a fwd mount unit? I can’t find many in stock in NZ.
    Cheers
    Simon

I think I have only seen one forward mounted NV unit from memory. It was a pulsar, certainly not common at all to have a forward mounted NV unit.
    SimonJDH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    It will work fine. You get 1 adapter with the unit so depending on your ocular diameter is whether or not you'll need another adapter.
    Big plus with the night vision over the thermal is you can actually identify your target beyond all doubt. It also highlights if there is any brush etc in front of the target which may significantly reduce the bullet making it intact.
    Some have said thermal clip on, yeah they are quite literally 5 to 10 times the price.
    I use mine on 3 different rifles on any given night, .22, .17hmr, .223 are the ones I use several nights a week. I do stick it on a .308 and .270 for deer control. I don't have any problem with it coming back from the scope with the smaller calibers. However, on a rifle that creates more recoil, if you are shooting on an angle slightly up hill for example and you have the rubber eye piece around your eye then unfortunately you will get smacked in the face. Having a slip on recoil pad and holding your eye just back from the scope fixes this.
    I use thermal scopes as well as night vision and to be honest I reach for the night vision more than the thermal. The clip ons are fantastic to the point where I done away with my dedicated NV scopes all together. Sure the clarity was a touch better but the versatility wasn't there.
    That’s awesome info, thanks for taking the time to write that

Does anyone in NZ stock the accessory mounting kits, not the 42mm plus that is available from the retailers but 36-38mm which is needed or mounting without half a roll of tape.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Does anyone in NZ stock the accessory mounting kits, not the 42mm plus that is available from the retailers but 36-38mm which is needed or mounting without half a roll of tape.
    If you were after something like this, I can machine what sizes you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Trout, tetawa and TLB like this.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Delta Mike and Owl Optics do pard and 55six do Sytong but I haven't seen anything in the 36-38mm range. I did buy one of the collet style adapters of AliExpress but didn't take long to break one of the plastic pieces trying to get it over the scope.
    What Fssprecision has looks handy!
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Delta Mike and Owl Optics do pard and 55six do Sytong but I haven't seen anything in the 36-38mm range. I did buy one of the collet style adapters of AliExpress but didn't take long to break one of the plastic pieces trying to get it over the scope.
    What Fssprecision has looks handy!
    Owl can always supply specials like the above...I make it for them.
    Pengy likes this.