Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Closing the bolt...fire a cartridge?

Closing the bolt...fire a cartridge?

Spent this afternoon reducing the trigger pull weight on a Savage Axis (without the Accu-trigger).

The trigger came in at over 8 pounds and cannot be adjusted unless you build up the trigger point that engages the sear.

However before I got the trigger to my desired weight, I at one point didn't have enough sear engagement. When I quickly closed the bolt the firing pin would drop (fixed now as even if butt pad dropped on the floor will not fire).

My question is: if a bolt is closed fast and the firing pin runs forward due to not enough sear engagement, could a loaded round in the chamber be fired?
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Generally not but I wouldn't swear on the bible with that. If the sear fails to engage at all the firing pin is "lowered" albeit quickly, by the cam and shouldn't hit the primer with sufficient force to set it off. This would be absolutely be case if the sear never engaged. Obviously still not a desirable situation from a safety point of view.

Different though from the butt on to the floor test (or rubber mallet) where the sear has engaged - boom.

If the sear engages with gentle bolt closure it becomes more of a case of Russian Roulette.

I'm aware that some people frig with triggers and never try the slam bolt test or the butt smack onto the floor. Scary shit.
    veitnamcam, tetawa, Woody and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Generally not but I wouldn't swear on the bible with that. If the sear fails to engage at all the firing pin is "lowered" albeit quickly, by the cam and shouldn't hit the primer with sufficient force to set it off.
    This makes sense....just wish we knew 100%

I don't like to be having a thought (when I forcefully load a round) that it might....just might, go off!

Know of someone who adjusted a trigger, all good, applied the safety catch, all good. When he released the safety the rifle fired. There is more than casual knowledge to trigger adjustment.
    tikka, hamsav, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    This makes sense....just wish we knew 100%

I don't like to be having a thought (when I forcefully load a round) that it might....just might, go off!
    Then leave it standard or employ a reputable gunsmith to adjust your non adjustable trigger.
    tikka, Micky Duck, Mathias and 3 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    Spent this afternoon reducing the trigger pull weight on a Savage Axis (without the Accu-trigger).

The trigger came in at over 8 pounds and cannot be adjusted unless you build up the trigger point that engages the sear.

However before I got the trigger to my desired weight, I at one point didn't have enough sear engagement. When I quickly closed the bolt the firing pin would drop (fixed now as even if butt pad dropped on the floor will not fire).

My question is: if a bolt is closed fast and the firing pin runs forward due to not enough sear engagement, could a loaded round in the chamber be fired?
    Yes it can fire I had it happen to me with a Remington 700 not because of a lightend trigger it was an unburnt powder kennel in the trigger stopped the sear engaging
    fully plus a 32 pound firing pin spring, It would be worth buying the Accu Trigger if you want a lighter weight budget rifle triggers are best left a lone.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Hmm, I might have to revisit my Sako 22 trigger.

It’s just under 3lb.

Work the bolt in a hurry and 50-50 the sear doesn’t hold, so far it hasn’t fired the round in the chamber

Dunno what happens if I use the safety as I don’t use it at all.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

The correct sear engagement is critical to having a safe trigger. If the sear is slipping as soon as it gets striker pressure then it will generally not fire as the striker will rest on the cocking cam until the bolt is fully closed, but very gently closing the bolt could allow it to hold until the bolt is fully closed where it is under maximum striker pressure and could fire at the slightest bump. Reducing the sear engagement also requires adjustment of the safety catch or it will not function. Trigger jobs are not to be undertaken by those who do not possess the required knowledge and skills as the consequences can be fatal. A properly adjusted trigger should break in the 2.5-3lb area (1100 - 1350 grams), have minimal trigger movement, and have a safe and positive safety engagement. The Savage triggers are fairly easy to do but may require some minor, but skilled, stoning of the sear edge to achieve the above results. Take it to a professional.
    veitnamcam, johnd, Pengy and 4 others like this.

Happened to my Norinco JW15A when I replaced the factory trigger spring with a ball point pen spring.

A properly designed rifle should not let the firing pin protrude from the bolt face when the bolt handle is lifted. That is to protect against for example the trigger catching on something while the shooter moves the bolt forwards and it discharges with the bolt unlocked -- consequences imaginable. Even a 120-year old SMLE won't do that.

But what it will do once the bolt handle is down, all bets are off there.
    Last edited by Cordite; 25-07-2021 at 06:40 PM.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

seen it with set trigger set,then no shot taken...point in safe direction and gingerly open bolt...then let trigger off and start again.

The Savage Axis was a GunCity $1 reserve on TMe.
    Turns out that it had sat in the Wellington GunCity for years and didn't sell mostly due to its heavy unadjustable trigger (8pds).
    Of course, the stock is a real 'Mr Floppy' as well.... esp upfront.

I managed to win it for $460 + post. Then I strengthened the stock, just now got the trigger to a crisp break, and put an EGW 20MOA rail on it. The cartridge is 25-06.

Yep, I understand the caution of DIY trigger jobs.
    However, with these days of Youtube, it's possible to copy to a near-exact degree... well to some degree

I've been cycling the action during some of the Olympic Games coverage today and there is no firing pin drop.
    So I'm comfortable with it now...
    ...just good to know if the firing pin ever did drop when the action is closed, it most probably won't have the firing pin pressure to ignite the primer.

Close the bolt on a sten etc and im pretty sure it will fire...
    Cordite likes this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Close the bolt on a sten etc and im pretty sure it will fire...
    I believe the Sten fired from an open bolt and as such had a captive firing pin, ie the firing pin is part of the bolt head. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    So, not an example that matches the OP's firearm.
    6x47 and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I believe the Sten fired from an open bolt and as such had a captive firing pin, ie the firing pin is part of the bolt head. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    So, not an example that matches the OP's firearm.
    Haha, yeah. Im just being a comedian!
    Cordite likes this.
    Use enough gun