Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By rewa
  • 3 Post By gundoc
  • 2 Post By outlander
  • 1 Post By Kamel

Thread: Collecting Firearms from Aussie

Collecting Firearms from Aussie

I've got a couple of things in Aussie I'd like to collect on a visit there. I already have an Aussie export permit and and a Kiwi import permit for them (however cost of freight has been an issue) - its the bit in the middle that seems a bit grey.

Can I apply for a Queensland visitors permit (we are going to Queensland) and collect them off a (pre-arranged) dealer there to take to the plane on the way home??

Anyone done this, any thoughts??

Dot your i's and cross your t's or you will end up being someone's pretty boy.
    I would ask the Queensland Police directly.
    rewa likes this.

I agree, one number out, and I've heard its all over. Customs-wise at least. They arent being pricks, they just have very strict rules, even if they can see the obvious mistake. (and some of them Are pricks). So make sure everyone involved got any serial-no.s exactly right
    40mm and outlander like this.

Getting firearms out of Aussie is a pain in the butt! It used to be that dealers would deliver your gun to the airport on the day you leave but that has been knocked on the head. There are only two ways to get the rifle out of Aussie; it is formally exported by a dealer (possibly more paper work), or it is transferred to the licence of an Aussie who is coming over to NZ (more paper work). The formal export is probably best as your application for a QLD licence will take some weeks at best, and months at worst. Australia is not a gun-friendly nation, and their border control people are frequently a special breed of arsehole!
    john m, WallyR and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Getting firearms out of Aussie is a pain in the butt! It used to be that dealers would deliver your gun to the airport on the day you leave but that has been knocked on the head. There are only two ways to get the rifle out of Aussie; it is formally exported by a dealer (possibly more paper work), or it is transferred to the licence of an Aussie who is coming over to NZ (more paper work). The formal export is probably best as your application for a QLD licence will take some weeks at best, and months at worst. Australia is not a gun-friendly nation, and their border control people are frequently a special breed of arsehole!
    Special breed of arsehole, alright. Very many of them have pedigree papers too.
    WallyR and 40mm like this.

Yep for firearms you can actually apply to be an exporter I did this when I bought my rifles back in 2010 the export license lasts 1 year. The permit comes from the Australian defense force.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I've got a couple of things in Aussie I'd like to collect on a visit there. I already have an Aussie export permit and and a Kiwi import permit for them (however cost of freight has been an issue) - its the bit in the middle that seems a bit grey.

Can I apply for a Queensland visitors permit (we are going to Queensland) and collect them off a (pre-arranged) dealer there to take to the plane on the way home??

Anyone done this, any thoughts??
    G'day mate, I have no idea about the export of firearms stuff from here, but there are a few blokes who I could get a phone number or email address and let you know. Happy to help, just send me a pm with your contact details and I will try sorting it out for you.
    keneff likes this.