Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Copper remover

  1. #1
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,994

    Copper remover

    Hi Guys
    Iv got quite a copper buildup when looking at the muss its Farley evenly spread around , tried rem bore brite put 50 odd patches through it yesterday along with a bronze brush but it hasn't done much at all hoppes 9 was no good either so I got my hands on some Gunslick foaming bore cleaner today definatly leaves the patch pretty blue it may have removed some already so iv filled the barrel & taped it up , upsidedown will leave it to soak for the night .
    Whats everyone else using , method ?
    Cheers
    7mmsaum likes this.

  2. #2
    Member stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delisle SK Canada
    Posts
    1,082
    my go to , for almost all barrel cleaning (i shoot a lot of lead) is a copper chore boy wrapped around a bronze brush ... must be copper , not copper coated ...
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

  3. #3
    Member Kiwi-Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    478
    sweets 7.62 solvent
    KH
    Boaraxa likes this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

  4. #4
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks itl be interesting to see what happens in the morning , if that doesn't work il give the chore boy a go , where do you get them ?

  5. #5
    Caretaker
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Hi Guys
    Iv got quite a copper buildup when looking at the muss its Farley evenly spread around , tried rem bore brite put 50 odd patches through it yesterday along with a bronze brush but it hasn't done much at all hoppes 9 was no good either so I got my hands on some Gunslick foaming bore cleaner today definatly leaves the patch pretty blue it may have removed some already so iv filled the barrel & taped it up , upsidedown will leave it to soak for the night .
    Whats everyone else using , method ?
    Cheers
    You are using one of the best copper removers, a heavy Cu deposit may need repeat treatments.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

  6. #6
    If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mighty Manawatu
    Posts
    2,721
    Where do I get some Gunslick from?
    I've been using elminator.
    Sorry for the hijack.
    Boaraxa likes this.

    I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Nz
    Posts
    448
    kg products copper removal does the business for me.

  8. #8
    Caretaker
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,337
    Craftys guns n hunting shop in Hastings
    Shootm likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,420
    bore tech eliminator magic stuff my trueflight I don't even use a brush just a few drips per patch a 500ml bottle has lasted 4 years so far still about half left let me know if you are stuck and ill send you a bit in a wee bottle to try

    bore tech cu+2 copper remover is another option for realy fouled barrels a lot hasher on the barrel though
    sweets 7.62 works well but fuck me it stinks like well used long drop toilet and for god sakes don't leave it in your barrel it will eat it as well as copper

    Remington bore brite is only really powder solvent not really for copper which is probably didn't work for you

    let me know how you get on with the gunslick foaming stuff been thinking of giving it ago what is the active ingredient in that? if it ammonia I wout not leave it in the barrel longer than about 5 or 10 mins
    Blaser likes this.

  10. #10
    Member Kiwi-Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    478

    Opinions

    [QUOTE=Kiwi
    Opinions are like elbows everyone has a couple of them.
    Now this statement-if it's ammonia? not to leave it in the barrel longer than about 5 or 10 mins.
    Well I would say the new barrels I have a new custom barrel form across the ditch in stainless.
    I asked the same question as I was told the say thing, [B]Answer from the maker we have filled barrels with ammonia and left standing over night with not a problem.
    [/B]But I always flush well after solvent cleaning, just out of habit.
    KH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kiwi-Hunter; 13-12-2016 at 08:25 PM.
    bully likes this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

  11. #11
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    You are using one of the best copper removers, a heavy Cu deposit may need repeat treatments.
    That's good to no , its quite well priced $19 for the small can looks like itl last a fare while to , will report back tomorrow .Thanks guys.

  12. #12
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    bore tech eliminator magic stuff my trueflight I don't even use a brush just a few drips per patch a 500ml bottle has lasted 4 years so far still about half left let me know if you are stuck and ill send you a bit in a wee bottle to try

    bore tech cu+2 copper remover is another option for realy fouled barrels a lot hasher on the barrel though
    sweets 7.62 works well but fuck me it stinks like well used long drop toilet and for god sakes don't leave it in your barrel it will eat it as well as copper

    Remington bore brite is only really powder solvent not really for copper which is probably didn't work for you

    let me know how you get on with the gunslick foaming stuff been thinking of giving it ago what is the active ingredient in that? if it ammonia I wout not leave it in the barrel longer than about 5 or 10 mins
    Thanks for the offer , it says no ammonia contains ethanolamine & liquefied petroleum gas

  13. #13
    Member stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delisle SK Canada
    Posts
    1,082
    super markets have pure copper choreboy or similer copper scourer pads
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

  14. #14
    Member Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The Forest
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    bore tech cu+2 copper remover is another option for really fouled barrels a lot harsher on the barrel though
    Can you please elaborate on this? Reason I ask is I use this stuff, seems to work really well but I'm not sure that it is harsh on barrels as it says on the bottle that it's okay to leave a wet patch in the barrel for storage.

  15. #15
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    kg products copper removal does the business for me.
    KG12 proven in tests to be the best Cu remover. I just hate the way it rolls off the patch when you pour it on. You have to almost massage it in.
    Boretech Cu+2 excellent, nicer to use than KG12.
    Bore Foam (I use either Gunslick or Wipe Out + Accelerator) very effective on barrels that don't copper up real bad. Back to KG12 or Cu+2 for them. Bore foams used to be the cleaner of choice for Border Barrels when running in. They would leave the foam in over night.
    Sweets - threw mine away long time ago. Has been proven to damage SS barrels. Your call if you wish to risk leaving it in your barrel for a period longer than 10 minutes. I’ll not take that risk on expensive barrels that take months to get here and cost reasonable money to chamber etc.
    Hoppes 9 - great smell but useless for heavy Cu.
    The fowling will be in several layers - copper, carbon. Need to attach each individually. Despite what the snake oil makers claim there is no one stop shop solvent that effectively removes both. Although Eliminator comes close. Need to also use an effective carbon cleaner. I use Mercury Outboard top engine cleaner, or the equivalent Subaru product. Boretech make a carbon cleaner which is probably more human safe!
    JBs has its use along with Autosol if all else fails.
    Handy if you have access to a bore scope. I have looked down barrels that owners claim to be clean and have seen sheets of Cu still. Next shots just keep building it up.
    To check, push a cotton bud 15 – 20 mm down muzzle and you will get a good view. Can use small torch and magnifier to inspect there as well.
    Good luck.
    veitnamcam, nor-west and Boaraxa like this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Copper wash tub
    By Monk in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-06-2016, 11:54 AM
  2. lewis lead remover
    By stumpy in forum Shooting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-11-2014, 10:24 AM
  3. Looking for some Shooters Choice Lead Remover
    By ebf in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 25-07-2014, 12:02 PM
  4. Copper mine
    By PerazziSC3 in forum Shooting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-07-2014, 11:57 AM
  5. Copper bullets
    By kiwijames in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 19-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!