Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: corrosive primers and suppressors

corrosive primers and suppressors

Looking for peoples ideas about this,if I am shooting corrosive primed ammo what effect would this have on a suppressor and how do i mitigate the problem?Do you just flush with boiling water like dealing with black powder?Or do you just have to accept the shorter life of the suppressor?
    Thanks in advance for any answers.

alloy with an alloy suppressor its not going to matter (plenty of Alloy Boats in the sea).

Steel Suppressor would need cleaning.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Short chemistry lesson, corrosive primers contain a mix of potassium chlorate, mercury fulminate, and sulphur, along with inerts like glass powder and talc. The biggest issue is the chlorate, on firing it turns to potassium chloride (think salt) this and water is what rusts barrels, not really a problem for aluminum but it is for steel and low grades of stainless. Mercury fulmunate decomposes to mercury, and while this is no worry for steel or stainless it will eat through the protective oxide layer and amalgamate with the aluminum and corrode it quick smart. Break a mercury thermoneter in an ali boat and watch it! Now there is very little of either of these in a corrosive primer think tenths of a grain so the effects wouldnt be seen quickly and while salt can be washed away mercury cant
    P38 likes this.

They also stuff up the brass so wash that in soapy hot water, better still dump the primers and use modern non corrosive ones.

Thanks for the answers.
    I have some of the Romainian milsurp from Aoraki ammo.
    Will see how it shoots out of various platforms and will keep an eye on what happens to the suppressors involved.

MAE use 304 Stainless in their cans which is not suposed to like chloride too much. However I have already fired several hundred Chi-Com rounds through one of mine without any noticeable rust. However the thing was probably so well carbon coated to start with that the chloride hasn't even made it to the steel yet.