Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daggers_187

Thread: Couple of Shotgun Queries???

Couple of Shotgun Queries???

Greetings

Just a couple of queries?

1. Does anyone own or have shot one of the new ranger pump action shotguns? Just wondering how you rate them? There meant to be copies of a Remington.

2. With regards to shot guns, i notice quite a few are cut to various lengths from factory. How is the range and accuracy affected with the different shot shells avaliable (buck, solids, bird etc...)? Theres quite a few different lengths available for the rangers from factory with some of them pretty short!

Cheers all!

res
    I used to own one, they are a ok gun, a bit ruff around the edges and heavy compared to a Remington.
    They use a steel receiver where the remington has a aluminium receiver-the extra weight is a double edged sword, it soaks up a little more recoil but also make the gun less nimble.
    The stock is also very heavy.

For the same $ you could buy a lightly used remington second hand, and this is what I would recommend.

As to length, most shotgun rounds get full speed in 12-15" and length has nothing to do the spread of the shot-that is a product of the choke.
    A longer barrel than this still has some very real advantages , firstly it gets the blast further stay from your ears-a very big deal in my opinion esp for field work where you may not have hearing protection(but you should).
    A longer barrel,especially if it is fitted with a bead(that elevated strip that runs from the top of the receiver down the length of the barrel) gives you a much better sight picture and most people will shoot better because of this.
    I would recommend you use the longest barrel that is practical for you,esp if it's your first shotgun. 28" is a nice number for rabbits and ducks without being unwieldy.
    18/20" is good for pigs in the bush and the extra mag capacity that often comes with these lengths is handy if spotlighting from the back of a ute.
    12/14" is handy if your having to jump in and out of a vehicle.

Whatever the length you choose, try and get one that can take chokes-even if you don't fully understand there use right now.

There are a number of much more experienced competitive shotguners Than me on this forum who can undoubtedly go into much more detail if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

short barrels will not make you popular with your shooting mates,your dogs etc.they make the gun effectively louder to the point that it is not pleasant.on a pump you can fit a suppressor,but then this is not a cheap exercise,probably double the price of the gun.

Yet they are a copy of the rem and you can fit rem parts in some cases. I have one with the shorter 18.5 tube. Only down side is they are cylinder bores with no chokes. I believe it's the mossbergs that are aluminium. I thought the 870 was also a steel receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I believe it's the mossbergs that are aluminium. I thought the 870 was also a steel receiver.
    Yeah, the Remington 870s have steel receivers as well. The trigger housing is plastic on the Remington, where as it's steel on the Ranger.

I bought one of the first Gunshitty Rem copys back in 2008.

Lots of people talk shit about them, but mine still works perfectly.
    Ahuroa SC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin View Post
    Greetings

Just a couple of queries?

1. Does anyone own or have shot one of the new ranger pump action shotguns? Just wondering how you rate them? There meant to be copies of a Remington.

2. With regards to shot guns, i notice quite a few are cut to various lengths from factory. How is the range and accuracy affected with the different shot shells avaliable (buck, solids, bird etc...)? Theres quite a few different lengths available for the rangers from factory with some of them pretty short!

Cheers all!
    Good guide to shotgun chokes.

Shotgun Chokes Explained (Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, Modified, Full) | Rem870.com
    Welcome to Sako club.

Thanks all, huge help!!!