Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Custom .260 Build

Custom .260 Build

So like a few other folk I have joined the .260 Band.

My good mate Ben suggested that I move up from the light 22-250 and go for something with a decent BC and more stopping power but also not too much recoil as I don't shoot as much as I would like to so I must admit that I'm prone to the "Flinch" especially when I start shooting again after being in the UK for 6 months.
    We originally were going for the 6.5-06 as it had a few benefits in the long range game... but as we went on we realised that he .260 would be a better fit for me and Ben has built the 6.5-06 anyway as he was going to build one for himself so it means we share costs on Re-loading.

So I have started gathering gear in order to start the build in October when I return...

I have ordered the Bell and Carlson M40 style stock from "Stockys" in what ever colour comes into stock first... this will probably take a few more weeks but I ordered it on the 9th June to be sure its ready for me when I get back.
    Name:  371095.jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  56.7 KB

I was very keen to try the Dan Hardy action but common sense prevailed and we are on the look out for a 2nd Hand Short action but I have placed and order for a Diamond Fluted PT&G One piece bolt as they are used on the Stiller actions and will help to clear up any slop in the used action as its been ordered at .699 OD to be sure...Whilst I was there I took the opportunity to get the small firing pin, the m16 Extractor and threaded handle. That will take 8 weeks unless its in stock and of course it will need to be there when the barrel gets mated to the action... (Decent Recoil lug required)

Name:  ptgonebolt01.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  8.8 KB

Ben just located a Shilen Barrel 1-7 Twist so we are on the way....

I'm thinking of 22 inches and Fluted Remington Varmint Contour so it can be carried but also retain a bit of weight for longer shots...having said that, A TAB Biathlon sling is on the way and they will match up nicely with the flush cups that will be mounted to the B&C.

I have the Sightron 8-32*56 but the Vortex HS-T 4-16*44 is looking like a better option on the Carry

Does anyone run a 22" Barrel? And what sort of Velocity are they running their loads at?

Also... anyone got any tips on a half decent but cheap solution to Spraying on Dura Coat? I like the look of this rifle and reckon that all the components will require painting to match them up as they will be a mix of Blued action, Red and Black Stock (Possibly) and Stainless... Not really conducive to stalking..

Name:  Right Side Small.jpg
Views: 5414
Size:  542.7 KB

I'll post up progress on the build as it comes along... all suggestions and hints are welcome!!
    7mmsaum, veitnamcam, Bryan and 1 others like this.

Great thread on the paint job
    Shooting Voodoo :: DuraCoat Painting Made Easy

So....

Had some major issues with an address in the USA so I'll have to wait until July before I can get my hands on that bolt and the flash go fast parts... even the stock didn't show up... man...

Anyway I managed to secure a Manners stock. Probably off one of you fine fellows on here.

Name:  image-81806bd1631040f6122bc86cc542d89b4b39d6d82b0fbd7f710c9cbef12ac25e-V.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  236.7 KB

That will be on the 7mm08 that will be eventually turned into the .260 next July.

I went with 6.5-284 in the end because I wanted the long action for ease... I jumped around calibers a few times and finally got to that.

It will be wearing this HS Stock, again, probably off one of you lot.
    Name:  HSPRE.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  153.0 KB

And since I only have the Vortex PST 2.5-10X44 for now it will go on the 7-08 until next July.

Very very slow!
    von tempsky fan likes this.

Mean mate. Keep us up to date.
    Dan M

I have stiller long and short actions available in stock if you want to do it right first time, rather than dolly up a Remington. PM me for prices and availability of particular models.

Cheers,
    Dean.
    blaserR8 likes this.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

Name:  image-0292cfe43627d837d5d86b187d7ae2c1665354cfe37b1d317a6b171973f4e5cb-V_zps6594014d.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  90.1 KB

Ben has just mounted the scope on the 7-08 for some testing on both the scope and Rifle.

Shut up and Shoot
    I can supply bottom metal if you want to run a Accuracy International magazine in your rifle.

Herb

Thanks Herb.

I may look into one for my culling rifle otherwise I will go with the ptg canoe style.

Ok So the Rings were too high.. they have been swapped out for Talley ultralights and a Timney 510 has been purchased. Threading required for the Goodwin can... only a few weeks away now!!

We managed to capture 4 Piglets in the weekend ... pretty cute little buggars. The little male was a grumpy little shit!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    Thanks Herb.

I may look into one for my culling rifle otherwise I will go with the ptg canoe style.
    I have some new ptg l/a rem bottom metal for sale

Thanks for the offer mate but I'm sorted on the long action.

Well, right now it has to stay as 7mm08 ... its been a long lead free summer so far!!

Name:  IMG-1424642399953-V.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  1.04 MB

The stock needs a quick inlet job so I'm looking for recommendations in the Auckland area.
    Name:  20150223_104552.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  1.04 MB
    The manners stock fits nice .... The barrel is very free floated!!!

I wouldnt order a bolt till your gunsmith has had a good look at your action, 0.699 might not be big enough to take out all the slop in a rem actions. Dont wast your time with a fluted bolt, just one more thing to jam and make feeding less smooth!

I'd have the action blue printed and sleeved rather than putting a PGT bolt in, but I'd also look at a Stiller action instead of re-working a factory action.

Yeah, I hear ya.

Just waiting on some funds so I can order a stiller off Dean.

Plans have changed somewhat as per normal when you wait too long to do things!!

"Priorities" have shifted as the missus tells me!

Right... I am back off overseas for work again for one last time and should be back early July for what will be my first real winter in 13 years!!

Long story short but one of the Shilen Barrels is chambered in the 6.5-284 so we are going with that.

Doc Watson will be in charge of the build whilst I'm away so it's in good hands... I know that it would be better in LA but Doc Assures me it will work as Scotty from SSRNZ and Mitch Maxberry will be doing the work.

Just searched the new Accubond pills from Nosler and the 129 Gr has a BC of .561 and the 142 has .719 .. decent.

Here is a quick Video of Docs latest build and shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9GCFbLZ_Q

Until July!!

Slimy

P.S Hoping to pick up all the goodies that were "Held" in a take over.. another long story but there are some nice bits and pieces in the stash.
    I'll be looking for a custom Action for the next build.
    Danny likes this.