Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By baldbob
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By greghud

Thread: custom left hand questions

custom left hand questions

Hi guys, new to forum. Do a bit of hunting but dont know heaps about building a custom gun. currently have lh remington lam stainless 3006. want to make a light weight bush gun. initial thoughts were short action in 260. im guessing barrel , stock trigger etc easy enough but where do i get a lh short action from? do i have to buy a cheap gun and strip it??. any thoughts ideas much appreciated. cheers

Impure Lead Flinger
    sell me the 3006 and use the money to buy one
    Wirehunt likes this.

ebf
    You can buy a 260 lh tikka t3 (might have to wait a bit, but can be ordered), no reason to do anything custom, especially for a bush gun...

Guess it depends on how much money you want to spend and how "custom" you want it. Tikka, Remington and Savage all make LH actions which you can pick up for under 1300 and use as a donor. Other end of the spectrum is buying a Barnard lefty action, but again, way overkill in my opinion.

Welcome to the forum
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

as soon as you say custom the price bell rings, think about building a car from scratch and buying each part individualy, it will cost a lot more than just settling on a factory one that suits your needs.
    but dont get me wrong i am into my custom leftys, heres one i built a yr or so ago.

greg

ebf
    Interesting rifle Greg, caliber ? 375 shape but looks short ?

Stainless bolt and blued barrel unusual, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Custom stock ? The grain is weird, goes from almost quarter sawn at the fore end to completely wild at the butt
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

yep sell or put away the 30-06

buy 308,338fed ect depending on your intended range even 44 mag
    shorten, can low powered scope or irons
    have a look at the other forums buy/sell if you want short with irons, a ruger scout just poped up
    if you want scoped no irons there are probably cheeper and just as good options

buy cheep, cut short and go hunting, if its too loud screw a can on
    this is a road well travelled at the moment, seems like the latest fasion so someone else would have done one and is sick of it and selling

EDIT
    that pooger will be right handed.... sorry

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

Stainless bolt and blued barrel unusual, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Custom stock ? The grain is weird, goes from almost quarter sawn at the fore end to completely wild at the butt
    Looks like a .505 Gibbs? Do tell Greg
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Load some 130gr ttsx Barnes for the 06 put it in a carbon or plastic stock job done.

Put money you have saved into building something deserving of the word "custom"
    1/2 - 1/4 moa accuracy is not something you need for bush.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    ebf likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

its a 458 acc rel, based on a 404 case but shortened to 2.5 inches, blown out to 458 then improved. it delivers a 510g bullet at 2500fps, so basicly a 458 lott on a std length action using a std magnum boltface.
    not bad on small to medium game in the territory.
    greg
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

the stock i done from scratch on a build. i did a thread on it a while back see if i can dig it up
    greg

l

Thanks for your comments guys. Sorry Baldbob not 4 sale. by the sounds of it i may head down the track suggested by vietnamcam and reduce projectile size re stock and maybe even flute to knock off weight. Thanks again for yr help

carbon stock is probably were you can save the most weight without breaking the bank!

cheers jason, have had a look at yr stocks, very nice. just wondering whether i should go fluting as well as a light stock will make it more front end heavy. ? any thoughts?

Yeah fluting is all good, you can do a whole heap of things to take a bit off here and there, and it all adds up in the end, just depends on how far you want to go. There is plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum that can help out. I can move weight around to a point with the stock to put a bit more weight in the back, but to much and it takes away from been a lite stock, but I do have several different options to go about it.