Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 2 Post By Gkp
  • 3 Post By Tech
  • 1 Post By southernman
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 5 Post By Tech
  • 2 Post By WillB
  • 1 Post By Max Headroom
  • 3 Post By jackson21

Thread: Cut and suppress 22.250

Cut and suppress 22.250

I have a stainless barrelled Savage Model 16 in 22.250 that has a 26" barrel length.

I'm looking t have this suppressed and so will need to have the barrel threaded, I use it for everything as its my go to rifle.

What would be the optimum barrel length do you guys think? It currently shoots 0.5 at 100m.

Gkp
    The shortest I have been with 22 250 is 23.5 inches/600mm. No loss of accuracy or performance
    Moa Hunter and Happy Jack like this.

My Sauer 202 has a 22" barrel and I am hitting just over 3600 fps with 55 grain projectiles. It is shooting sub .5" 5 shot groups at 100m with Sierra 55 gr GK.
    Moa Hunter, mimms2 and Happy Jack like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Wrong cartridge to be chopping IMO.
    Can you elaborate as I want to have it suppressed to save my hearing

I think he is hinting at, that you loose performance, and much of the reason to own a 22-250 is that performance (speed), if you cut it back too much,
    Ive had several, 22-250's, one at 20", one at 22" and a round body sako at 23.5",
    I would cut back to 20-22" and install a suppressor, hearing performance is far more important, I miss mine and to hell with 200fps of bullet speed.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Pretty sure mine is cut back to 20", from a 22" factory. No issues.

my suggestion.....its what???$60 - $80 to get threaded.......if gun is usually not carried all day on shoulder try it at current length....its not a HUGE deal to shorten and re-thread again later....like the circumcision doctor said "its far easier to cut a bit more off than add a bit back on"

For many years and around 100 deer I loaded my 22-250 Carl Gustaf 9000 with 34.5 grains of IMR 4895, the rifle had a 600mm or 23.5" barrel and the manuals suggested my 55 grain Sierra or Speer pills would be skipping along at 3600 fps. When I bought a chronograph I got somewhat of a surprise to see they weren't even hitting 3400 fps but the neck shot deer didn't seem to notice.
    Back in February @WillB started a thread about his 20.5" barreled 22-250 and from memory he ended up getting 3590 fps with 55 grain Sierra GKs using IMR 8208 XBR / ADI Benchmark 8208.
    You are likely to lose between 25 and 30 fps per inch of barrel but your hearing will thank you for it.
    It is frustrating to see a Tui open his mouth but not be able to hear what he is saying!

Hi just caught up with this and yes that's all correct @Tech . And man do I agree about the hearing. Nothing, but nothing, is worth it if it means damaging your hearing.
    Micky Duck and Tech like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
    they weren't even hitting 3400 fps but the neck shot deer didn't seem to notice.
    Seems to me that that's the verdict that really matters.
    Tech likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Depends what you expect from it? Have a 19" Ruger 22.250 with Oceania Suppressor on the end. Shoot 69 TMK's at 3130 fps. Cheapest rifle I own but ends up getting used the most after the black rifles got banned.
    That's not honking for a 22.250, but hits way harder than a 223 and very compact, lightweight and accurate. Neck shot a decent size fallow stag at 315m last week.
    Also surprised myself and hit a gong at 585m 1st, 2nd and 3rd shot in a row with a VX5 and using stretlok. Slight bit of kentucky windage figured out on the 420m gong. I didn't even think a VX5 would dial true.
    Long barrels can be a pain when on a motorbike, trees etc then add suppressor. Sometimes it's not all about paper ballistics and wasting powder but what practically works in the field for what you want to do.
    Dama dama, WillB and Max Headroom like this.