Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Danger Mouse
  • 1 Post By zeropak

Thread: Cz 457 .22 match chamber

Cz 457 .22 match chamber

Hey team, anybody have any experience with the various 457 models that have a match chamber? Just wondering if they will properly feed, chamber, fire and extract cci subsonic.

I have a CZ 457 MTR and I use CCI subs (and Eley Subsonic HP) - both of them no issues with feeding, firing and extracting.
    I haven't got around to testing it with other ammo yet.

It's actually my dual purpose range gun and possum gun, but does get a little heavy on the farm wandering around.

The "match chamber" thing isnt generally a good indicator as to wether a CZ (or other 22) will shoot and better than another. Ive found match chambers to be a pain in the neck and wouldn't bother with one for anything other than a strictly benchrest build.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post
    I have a CZ 457 MTR and I use CCI subs (and Eley Subsonic HP) - both of them no issues with feeding, firing and extracting.
    I haven't got around to testing it with other ammo yet.

It's actually my dual purpose range gun and possum gun, but does get a little heavy on the farm wandering around.
    That's what I plan on doing, at-one chassis version so all I need to do is put a scope on it and no faffing around

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    The "match chamber" thing isnt generally a good indicator as to wether a CZ (or other 22) will shoot and better than another. Ive found match chambers to be a pain in the neck and wouldn't bother with one for anything other than a strictly benchrest build.
    It's been a toss up between t1x and cz at-one.

I'm leaning towards the cz, prefer the stock, lower bolt lift
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    It's been a toss up between t1x and cz at-one.

I'm leaning towards the cz, prefer the stock, lower bolt lift
    I went through the same internal debate a couple of months ago. In the end I went for the CZ457 thumbhole. This model does not come with the match chambered barrel and I think it is slightly lighter than the "At one" version". It has not disappointing me, light enough to walk with and it shoots outstanding with both eley match ammo and High Velocity CCI. I do suggest you take a look at this model if you haven't already.
    Danger Mouse likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Actually my CZ457 MTR is in a Boyds AT-One stock that I purchased separately at the time. I don't think Match chamber is needed as generally speaking the CZ 457 shoot well when torqued properly. But my MTR came with the 20 inch threaded barrel and the CZ 457 Varmint was a longer barrel and unthreaded. My range is only 25m so need to get to 50m at least before seeing significant differences in ammo.

The T1x is lighter overall but from the reviews I've seen the 457 has the edge in accuracy (most likely to get a shooter) and after market parts.

I did put the Yo Dave spring kit - I have a nice and safe 1.5# trigger pull now. Stock would only go as low as 3# from memory.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    From what I read on Rimfire Central, CZ's factory guns are not accurate or consistent enough to make the match chamber matter. There are threads there with people disappointed with their CZ MTR's accuracy. i think the consensus is that it is no better than T1x.

CZ MTR guanrantees 15mm grouping at 50m. it is just over 1MOA at 50m. This is above average for sporting rifle, but fairly weak for a match grade rifle (M in MTR is for Match). Most CZ 452 from 20 years ago were already doing that, so it is hard to see it as an improvement or justification for its price tag.

Match chambers will generally run CCI subsonic hollow point. I do not have the MTR but i have other rifles with Benz Chamber. I think CCI stinger will not work in Benz chamber.

I have a number of purpose built 22 repeaters with match chambers and all are headspaced for Lapua. These rifles require careful tuning and magazines have to be adjusted precisely to ensure reliable feed. Other quality brand ammos (i.e. Eley, RWS etc) can also give me grief due to rim thickness, bullet shape and driving bands etc. Some brands will not reliably extract a live round.

I build these guns as a hobby & use them exclusively for range work.

For a general purpose rim fire, I would go for a decent chamber as cut on Lithgow, Anschutz, Bergara, CZ and so on. The overall tune, barrel quality and ingition will trump a match chamber on a bolt action repeater every time in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    From what I read on Rimfire Central, CZ's factory guns are not accurate or consistent enough to make the match chamber matter. There are threads there with people disappointed with their CZ MTR's accuracy. i think the consensus is that it is no better than T1x.

CZ MTR guanrantees 15mm grouping at 50m. it is just over 1MOA at 50m. This is above average for sporting rifle, but fairly weak for a match grade rifle (M in MTR is for Match). Most CZ 452 from 20 years ago were already doing that, so it is hard to see it as an improvement or justification for its price tag.

Match chambers will generally run CCI subsonic hollow point. I do not have the MTR but i have other rifles with Benz Chamber. I think CCI stinger will not work in Benz chamber.
    I think you're largely correct on the MTR. Unless you planned to feed your MTR match grade ammo (i.e. the really expensive stuff like Elex Tenex, Lapua Center X) the match chamber isn't worth it. I bought mine because I didn't want to buy a 457 Varmint and shorten/thread the barrel (no factory option at the time). I was going to replace the stock anyway.

After lugging around my CZ 457 MTR in a Boyd's AT-One stock around the farm, it does make me think I should pick up a sporter at some point. At that point, I'd be very tempted by the Tikka T1x.