Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Decent bino recommendations.

Decent bino recommendations.

G'day I've got a mate that's looking to upgrade his Cadcades at the moment and looking in the price vicinity of $1000 - $1500. Will need to be 10x. I'm not familiar with current brands/quality in that price bracket. Would look at second hand stuff as well if it meant getting into better quality glass.
    Cheers
    andyanimal31 likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Under a grand will get you a set of 10x Steiners from H&F, good glass, robust and not too heavy.
    ChrisW likes this.

Went through this process recently. Looked through a lot of different binoculars. Narrowed it down to the leica trinovids and the Zeiss conquest. To my eyes the the Zeiss had the better image. Alot of quality options in that price bracket. Make sure he shops around too, seem to be a few places that have sharper prices that bought their stock when the nzd was better.
    Snowgrass likes this.

Does he need 40x? Got a pair of Leica 10x25 not the best for open tops or tussockland but find I use them more as they fit in pocket easier. Take them with me more places as well.
    BRADS and planenutz like this.

Kowa BD are awesome binos for the money, I have a friend that has them and I would rate them above Trinovids or similar, I actually thought they were not real far off my Swaro EL, Nikon Monarch 7 be good buying in that price range also
    Shearer likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Also recommend you look at 8x30 options - Zeiss and Nikon Monarchs in particular. Bought a 2nd hand pair of Zeiss Terra’s from member on here (Cartman). They are great and a BIG weight saving on 8 or 10 x 42s. I have always used 10x42s and for big country open tops that’s what I use (Leica Geovids RF). But for tighter country and a bit of bush bashing the 8x30s are perfect

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Does he need 40x? Got a pair of Leica 10x25 not the best for open tops or tussockland but find I use them more as they fit in pocket easier. Take them with me more places as well.
    Ideally 42mm as it's all open tops stuff. Just been reading that Zen Ray are all over so I'm hoping my Primes don't have a whoopsy or I'll be in the same boat looking for a replacement.

Vangard endeavour ED are wicked, they have won a few awards.

The bx4 leupolds are nice to look through, bout $1100 so not wallet snappers and quality jap glass

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    Vangard endeavour ED are wicked, they have won a few awards.
    Have been doing a lot of research into binos and these dp seem to come up as being great value for money. The ED II model is only around $500 so may not be as good as what the OP os hoping for, but there is a new model out now.

Do you have a pair?
    Can you offer a review or comparison to other binos you've used?

I have both Leica and Swarovski 10x25's and wouldn't be without them. The Swaros have a very minor edge over the Leica's but both are light and easy to use/carry. If you're up this way you're welcome to have a look.
    Snowgrass likes this.

Cheers guys, some good suggestions I've passed on. Like the look of the BX4 and Monarch 7s.

Yep I have had a pair for 4 years, brought them after a lot of on line research such as bird watching forums etc.
    I have used them side by side with Leopold Mojaves, Swarovski El and zeiss conquest.
    They were noticeably better than the Mojave and conquest especially in brightness, contrast and most important to me field of view- they are like looking through a 8x for FOV amazing. They were neck and neck with the ELS and my mate was amazed at their quality, they missed out on resolution on dusk compared to the swaro by around 5 mins , so fuck all really for the price.
    I highly recommend them.
    Tahr, Beetroot and dannyb like this.

I think @Tahr has had some Vanguards?
    +1 for the Kowas. I have the BD10x32XD and are really impressed with them.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

dannyb likes this.