Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Do you really need a long barrel? Chop it or not?

Do you really need a long barrel? Chop it or not?

A few of us got together the other day when doing a reloading day in the man cave and started talking about barrel length.
    This it intended for normal hunting not really for longer range beyond +300m.
    With the new powders, dail up scopes and reticles out now, do you need a long or standard length barrels?
    I think in most cases everyone wants accuracy over velocity, and for the reloader chopping the barrel a few inches velocity can be gained back a bit in using a different power or load. Even for the new hunters how many are going to start shooting 300m-400m or more, for the newbee hunter 200m is a long way to zero a rifle.

So I my situation and the way I hunt now is my average shooting distance is 20m-60m so I use a 12" barrel but can still shoot out to 300m if need be with the help of a rangefinder and Ballistics app using a 300 Blackout.

And on my long range rig average shots are around 200m-400m and reach out to 800m on deer if the conditions allow with a 21" barrel 270win. When funds allow will rebarrel it to a 16" but different caliber and still do the same velocity and energy. From what I know now if I just got into hunting I would choose a 308 or 7mm-08 suppressed 15"-16" barrel.

Got a few mates average hunters shoot between 2 and 5 deer a year with standard factory 308win and 7mm-08 22" and 24" barrels with suppressors adding extra length and weight. There average shooting distance is 60m-160m with a long shot being 200m-300m. I said to them right at the start when they first got the guns chop em down you don't need a long barrel to shoot 300m the deer won't notice the difference in velocity. Now they say there 22", 24" and even 20" barrels are too long and clumbersome to carry in thicker bush, also they say it harder to shoot off handand and wished they chopped them down to 16" or 18". And the boy said if they want to shoot farther they would get a magnum with a standard barrel.

It's The guys at the Shops are saying to them that you need a long barrel for max bullet speed to kill deer, longer is better because they use 14" AR15s with 30 shoot magazines at night with thermal scopes? Yeah right?

I can understand if shoot on the top and longer ranges beyond 300m you need the extra barrel length and velocity but for the average hunter do you need it? What say you?

northdude
    I've just got my first short barrel gun 12.5" so far I havnt had to shoot over 300m in the places I've been and 40-60m is usually what distance is the norm havnt tried this one one yet but at those distances I'd say it won't be much different to my longer barrelled ones

Same thing with scopes people generally have to much magnification on them then what is needed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

2-10 'scope.

16"-20" barrel chambered in one of the 308 based cases.

Muffler.

Carbon stock...equals...

Modern marvel.

I've got 5 hunting rifles for all seasons and reasons and the longest barrel is 21" .223, 243, 6.5X55, 7-08, 300SAUM.
    buzzman, Blaser, JoshC and 2 others like this.

Simple answer, get two rifles one short for the tight bush and another for the open tops
    mikee, deer243 and Huk like this.

I bush hunt mostly but also stalk clearings and do the tops so I have a dedicated bush rifle( open sighted 20" 30-30), a General purpose 308(24" about to be 20" suppressed) and lastly a tops rifle(well once I've re barrelled it).

If i started out again I'd go 18/20" 308 generic stainless rifle with a 2-10 scope and suppressed.
    Can't recall the last time I took my scopes off the lowest magnification. So yes I definitely believe people go for too big a scope but that changes with experience(even if ya don't get a deer every time you can still learn from it).

I hunt bush and have just chopped my 308 to 14inch the can takes it just over 18inch so is perfect for me

Chopped my 10/22 to 12 inches and hasn't actually changed much. Guess it depends on the quality of the rifle you start wih though

my 375 has 16 inch barrel, with suppressor fitted makes it 20. Its much handier than my SAUM which is 30 inches with suppressor fitted (Bare barrel is 26)

ballestics are similar to a short barrel 308 with a bit more poke at the business end
    veitnamcam likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    2-10 'scope.

16"-20" barrel chambered in one of the 308 based cases.

Muffler.

Carbon stock...equals...

Modern marvel.

I've got 5 hunting rifles for all seasons and reasons and the longest barrel is 21" .223, 243, 6.5X55, 7-08, 300SAUM.
    Still got your 270 WSM A7 Thar?

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    my 375 has 16 inch barrel, with suppressor fitted makes it 20. Its much handier than my SAUM which is 30 inches with suppressor fitted (Bare barrel is 26)

ballestics are similar to a short barrel 308 with a bit more poke at the business end
    Your last comment is a little understated I think

I tend to hunt smaller groups and varmints from a vehicle. For that the short barrel is brilliant. If I'm on the hills walking then a long barrel is better for the walking stick.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Still got your 270 WSM A7 Thar?
    Its at the Dr's now getting a 20" 300SAUM barrel put onto it.
    I will still have the .270wsm barrel if I ever want to convert back, but doubt it.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Very valid topic. Short barrel, get to know your ballistics out to 300 and enjoy the bush stalking with a nice quick pointing short arse gun.

With overbarrel suppressor I could only take my 308 back to about 19" without cutting the front of the stock off. Thats still noticeably handier than the same suppressor on factory 22" though.

223 at 18" with DPT can is pretty similar total length to original and handles nicely.

Only real shorties I've used are 22s, very convenient for shooting from vehicles on farms.