Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Drilling Sickness

Drilling Sickness

I'm old, fat, broken up, and increasingly poorer. I have on hand a drilling for every day of the week but Sunday and a dozen other varied combination guns, so what did I do?

Yep...

I got one for Sunday. It's an experienced but rock-solid Merkel Mdl 90 in 12/12/7X65R with a 3.5-10 Leupold VX 3i in a sturdy swing mount. It put three factory Norma 156gr Oryx into an inch at 100 yards over the hood of my truck on sand bags. I let the barrels cool 15 minutes between shots, and the weather was just a tad above freezing. It's a big heavy drilling, and all I need now is a surplus Panzer tank and turret mount.

Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

Quote Originally Posted by luv2safari View Post
    I'm old, fat, broken up, and increasingly poorer. I have on hand a drilling for every day of the week but Sunday and a dozen other varied combination guns, so what did I do?

Yep...

I got one for Sunday. It's an experienced but rock-solid Merkel Mdl 90 in 12/12/7X65R with a 3.5-10 Leupold VX 3i in a sturdy swing mount. It put three factory Norma 156gr Oryx into an inch at 100 yards over the hood of my truck on sand bags. I let the barrels cool 15 minutes between shots, and the weather was just a tad above freezing. It's a big heavy drilling, and all I need now is a surplus Panzer tank and turret mount.

Now that, my friend, is a thing of beauty. Well done.

This'll be my beater truck drilling.

I have a much lighter Kreighoff Trumpf Dural in 16/16/7X65R with a 1.5-6 Zeiss in the Kerighoff light weight three claw mount system that I carry in our rough mountains. I hunt mule deer and elk in the high country, where we hike up several thousand feet to 7,000-10,000 elevations. There are good populations of big blue grouse up there, and I am thrilled to bring a couple down off the mountain.

With the scope off and in my game bag it makes a great upland gun. It feels like it was made for me. Here are a couple of blue grouse I popped with it. We were at 7,000 foot elevation. My grandson had shot his with a 20gauge single shot Savage 220 I started bird hunting with when I was 8, 65 years ago. My big Llewellins had a great day.

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

Most righteous
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I envy you sir and hope no vaccine is ever found

Dog Question LUV2.
    You called them Llewellins.
    Is that the White and brown spotted version of the White and blackbrown spotted English Setter or are they a distinctly different breed with different Breed standards etc.
    Z
    I see you 1 unkempt Gordon Setter. We don't do much Bird work but he's good at letting me know if something interesting is around and finding it for me once it's dead.
    Name:  MVIMG_20190929_181805.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  2.96 MB
    rugerman, stingray and Mooseman like this.

Barrel selector determines which tube unleashes

Don't get the 7x65R confused with one of the the 12g bird shot or buckshot.

But have to say they are a beautiful looking bit of kit.
    I would happily carry that for a day walk.
    No so sure about anything longer however.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Dog Question LUV2.
    You called them Llewellins.
    Is that the White and brown spotted version of the White and blackbrown spotted English Setter or are they a distinctly different breed with different Breed standards etc.
    Z
    I see you 1 unkempt Gordon Setter. We don't do much Bird work but he's good at letting me know if something interesting is around and finding it for me once it's dead.
    Attachment 157535
    I love Gordons! Thank you for the photo.

Llewellins are a sub-breed of the English and not recognized by the poofters at the AKC as a breed. They are acknowledged by versatile dog organizations, however. Lord Llewellin at the turn of the 20th Century was not enamored with the Englishes and decided to do something about it. The English were snooty, just like the English, and they were relatively lazy and a bit fragile...but had good noses ( usually well elevated...LOL). Lewellin set about breeding out the long lanky contours in favor of stouter dogs. He also bred into his strain of then English a burning enthusiasm for bird hunting and a deep affinity to humans.

Ask any Llewellin owner about their dog's loyalty and desire to please. Now, Llewellins will never be a crazy going English pointer or German shorthair, but they'll work hard all day until they drop and will seem apologetic that they collapsed. There are better pointers, better retrievers, better water dogs, and faster working dogs, but there are none finer than a Llewellin for sheer joy of watching a completely dedicated companion in the field.

These were out of my Ms. Scarlet, a somewhat famous Llewellin. They're whiter than Scarlet, due to the original sire's coloration. They are of the orange belton coloration. My young dog, Woody, is a tri-color blue belton with a little brown scattered, as evidenced by that brown spot around his...uhhh...errr..."brown spot".

Ms Scarlet, younger, adult, and a week before she left us.

Woody, still young:

Last edited by luv2safari; 07-01-2021 at 02:28 PM.
    7mmwsm, rugerman, stingray and 5 others like this.

Woody at 14 months:

Valley quail had just dusted where he's pointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Barrel selector determines which tube unleashes
    Yes. It's the one with the little button on top. It selects the front trigger to shoot the rifle. With it back the front shoots the right shotgun barrel.

Smiling...
    Someone mentioned about selecting the correct button on the top tang. Last fall my grandson and I were hunting big sagehen, and I was shooting the Kreighoff. It has the rifle cocker and the safety side by side on the top tang, and I had torpedoes in all three tubes. I had one big "chicken", as we call them, get up close in as a perfect straight-away. Seems I pushed everything forward in my excitement. Well, the hapless sagehen took a 156gr Norma Oryx right up the target under his tail.

My grandson shouted in awe of the exploding bird; I wondered what-the H*ll? , and Rosie, my super little WPG ran out and looked around, wondering which piece of guts she should retrieve. She's a living doll, that Rosie. She hates posing for pictures; we should be hunting and not wasting time.

muzr257, Rich007, rugerman and 4 others like this.

Banned
    Similar story at my duck pond once. We never get Canada Geese here but one particular opening half a dozen came in after some calling with an electronic game call quickly switched to 'Goose'. In the scramble to get ready, Greg said "here use these #3's" and passed a couple of shells. I shot a goose directly overhead and when it hit the ground the Gizzard landed beside it, a big hole through its guts. One of the shells Greg had passed me turned out to be a brenneke !
    ZQLewis, csmiffy and canuck hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Similar story at my duck pond once. We never get Canada Geese here but one particular opening half a dozen came in after some calling with an electronic game call quickly switched to 'Goose'. In the scramble to get ready, Greg said "here use these #3's" and passed a couple of shells. I shot a goose directly overhead and when it hit the ground the Gizzard landed beside it, a big hole through its guts. One of the shells Greg had passed me turned out to be a brenneke !
    Laughing my arse off!! I love those accurate Brennekes, especially when goose hunting.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Thanks for the extra Dog info. I had an idea that the trails/hunting sector had accepted them.
    Your Ms Scarlet was a lovely looking dog. Looks about a similar size and coat weight to the Welsh Springier I had late 80's & 90's.

Your description of the Llewellins sounds just like a hunting kennel Gordon. Stamina not the speed of an Irish.
    The setter breeders here still breeding to a straight Horizontal tail in the Setters but I gather some US influence is coming and however most new Blood lines seem to come from Australia, Northern Europe and the UK.
    Being a small country it's hard for the breeders to keep a good genitic diversity going.
    Your Woody looks to have a very similar face to my Gordon, Nice looking dog, very strong different coloring.
    Z
    And a couple more dog pics (yes I know he needs to lose some weight). Taken down in our garden. We do have Pheasants and Quail at times.
    Name:  Archie 1.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  2.08 MB
    Name:  Archie 2.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  2.00 MB

What can I say. I just hope a cure for your sickness is never found.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!