Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: E cat 762mm length question

E cat 762mm length question

Looking for an answer here. If you have a registered e cat firearm and put a collapsable/folding stock on it and once folded or collapsed goes under 762mm it's illegal right? A no can do. ?

Police policy is to measure with the stock unfolded/extended, but police policy isn't law.
    res and Sasquatch like this.

If its shorter than 762mm is it a Pistol ?

DPT
    Yeah its a pistol under 762mm so you cant legaly have it on your E

First, I don'y know answer to initial question, but if it falls then into pistol category would require "B" endorsement, "E" does not cover pistols.
    Might be wrong here but normally allows you to go to around 10.5" barrel on say an Ar with a standard retractable?

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    First, I don'y know answer to initial question, but if it falls then into pistol category would require "B" endorsement, "E" does not cover pistols.
    Might be wrong here but normally allows you to go to around 10.5" barrel on say an Ar with a standard retractable?
    They are pistols if they are shorter than 762mm. Those ar15 rifles are actually pistols not rifles.

Yes looks like would have to be around 12.5" min on a fixed stock to keep under that 762mm length, if brake included in length would have to be fixed type.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    Yes looks like would have to be around 12.5" min on a fixed stock to keep under that 762mm length, if brake included in length would have to be fixed type.
    Yep. Plenty of people have got them with 10in barrels thinking they are A cat, not realising they have brought a pistol. Anyway, why you would want one with a 10inch barrel is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post
    Yep. Plenty of people have got them with 10in barrels thinking they are A cat, not realising they have brought a pistol. Anyway, why you would want one with a 10inch barrel is beyond me.
    Unless your into door kicking, 10 inches means lots of flame and noise with quite a drop in MV. I have never fired one but being net to one on the range i have to say they sound nasty and seem to spit out un-burned powder.

Not having one to measure, is a collapsing stock version with 14.5 inch under the legal length when collapsed? Mus t be a lot of those out there.

a 10.5" with a suppressor is a fuck of a lot more handy than a 16" or whatever with a suppressor....
    Sasquatch likes this.

Uh but when Joe Green was in charge of gun matters he openly stated that E category guns are measured with the stock extended. I believe the current guy states the same thing. So basically it is a grey area. There is confusion because there are many E cat registered guns that fall well under 762mm with the stock folded. Also, a folding or telescoping stock is specifically recognized as an MSSA feature.
    Tommy likes this.

the arms act only says "under 762mm in length", which isn't defined at all, could go either way, "length" to me in plain english is "the longest possible distance between the ends of an object", i.e., with stock fully extended
    Jexla likes this.

That is basically what the English dictionary says. MSSA's also are not made or adapted to be fired with one hand, they are clearly designed to be fired from the shoulder, with the stock extended.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Not having one to measure, is a collapsing stock version with 14.5 inch under the legal length when collapsed?
    With a bare muzzle, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    the arms act only says "under 762mm in length", which isn't defined at all, could go either way, "length" to me in plain english is "the longest possible distance between the ends of an object", i.e., with stock fully extended
    And that could be also identified as to how the Police find it. if its fully retracted then that would be the length. Personally I wouldn't want to spend 10K fighting it in Court. Cause you would have to prove it. At the very least they would probably revoke the licence and see what happens in Court. If they determine its a breach, then there goes the licence.
    But in your theory, then a folding stock on an AK47 would be fine as its measured at its longest length. I certainly don't see that working out or the Police allowing that.