Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: E Cat convert back to A Cat

E Cat convert back to A Cat

Hi, will probably get a faster reply here than my query to Firearms Office...
    What is procedure or form to put an E cat AR back to A cat with Police, apart from practical side of stock, mag's etc?

Cheers

res
    My AO has done it for me a few times and it's always been easy-just a visit with the rife in a cat configuration.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks Res, so minus pistol grip=A Cat, might even get away with presenting lower half as that has the serial number on it?

You want to present the whole forearm so AO can verify no bainet lugs.
    FletchNZ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    You want to present the whole forearm so AO can verify no bainet lugs.
    Cripes I know I should never enter here when Im half asleep::: forearm---- firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    Cripes I know I should never enter here when Im half asleep::: forearm---- firearm.
    LoL and "bainet".

Well you wouldn't want bayonet lugs on your forearm - that sounds painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    LoL and "bainet".
    I immediately thought of beignets

So - If I was to get a mate (who has an E-cat lic and safe) to buy a ruger 10/22 thumbhole with a 20rnd mag off trademe - i could theoretically organise this weapon to be made back into an A-cad just by putting in a regular 10round mag and pissing off the 20 rnd one?

I'd had it on good advice you couldn't get this done. I have a mate who got conned into declaring his svd dragonov into an E-cat by the cops in the recent mssa bungle. I'll pass this on so He can get it declared an A-cat again

Your AO may just change it back over the phone for you. I've done phone and e-mail alterations before.

An E-cat weapon is defined in the Arms Act. Technically, the fact that it is registered as E-cat does not actually make it E cat. The Arms Act says that a gun is E-cat if it has the features of an E-cat weapon, in which case it must be registered as such. If you put it back into A-cat configuration then it is no longer E-cat going by the letter of the law. They might not like you messing up their register though (that's why previous gun registers were abandoned - too out of date). The AO only has to press a few buttons on his computer to change it though and it will keep you on side with them.

I would simply change it so that it is legally an A-cat and then inform them, maybe in writing by courier if they won't accept your word over the phone or e-mail. There is no official form that I am aware of to change back to A-cat.

You are under no obligation to keep a weapon in E-cat configuration. In many cases the act of swapping magazines changes the legal type.

I would think that most guns are worth more with E-cat registration, although there is a smaller market.

I'm not a lawyer.

Steve is correct, This has been tested in court and I had it confirmed by my AO.

A firearm that is registered as a MSSA but does not have any MSSA features is a A cat firearm according to law despite being on the E cat (MSSA) register.

Interesting.

Some good and very helpful common sense comments above to what seems at times very confusing nonsensical situation and hard to get definitive answers for at times, thanks guys.

So for mine after no response to emails, phone messages to my arms office(can't easily visit this one), it will remain nameless as probably not their fault and likely over worked under resourced I decided to ring another Arms Office...
    To my surprise someone answered!!

After explaining my situation (convert E back to A for a sale) the Officers initial response in a deep grave voice was " I don't think you are able to do that as they might easily convert back to an E cat again!" (and like I am selling to a sneaky terrorist or something, ok maybe my embellishment )

My response was " Yes they could, but that would be breaking the law and illegal, just like if they bought from a gunshop or drove their car at 160 km down the road, a bit out of my control?"
    He said "Hang on, will just go talk to someone"
    Came back on phone after getting advice from more senior Arms Officer and it was all not a problem and just had to email officer these details.

Took photos of Ar in new A cat configuration clearly showing serial number, make, model etc
    My name, licence, DOB, address etc.
    Purchaser name, licence, DOB address etc
    Think that was all? emailed off and they would deregister off E cat register.
    So took about 10 mins in the end and pretty easy, matches up with comments above.

Was a bit two minded about relinquishing a E cat but just wasn't using this one, intend to get others in the future and don't think we should be forced into some sort of "guilt" mentality for owning them responsibly.
    Last edited by jackson21; 12-09-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    AzumitH and ishoot10s like this.

Hi, has anyone had to do this recently? Apparently the process has changed and now has to go through Wellington. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

My mate wanted to sell his E cat AR 10 recently but some one with A was after it(even bought the right stock for it) and went to the AO to convert it back like they've done before.

He was told words to the effect of: it has to go to POLHQ in Wellington for approval.

Not the first case ive heard of either