Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree24Likes
  • 1 Post By Phil_H
  • 3 Post By Marty Henry
  • 3 Post By MB
  • 4 Post By Nathanfish
  • 1 Post By Steelisreal
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 6 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 3 Post By Gkp
  • 1 Post By Pommy

Thread: Educate me on Scope Reticles

Educate me on Scope Reticles

Was just reading the blurb on the Athlon Talos 4-16x40 scope with a BDC 600 IR reticle.
    I have been vaguely looking for something that will go on top of my .223

Name:  Athlon-Talos-4-16x40-SFP-SF-Riflescope-BDC-600-IR-Reticle_1400x.png
Views: 246
Size:  35.1 KB

It states the reticle holdovers works with the .223 but also states that it works with all of these different loads.....

The BDC 600 IR reticle will work with any of the following ammunition loads: .223 Win 55gr / .243 Win 95gr / .25-06 Rem 115gr / .270 Win 130gr / .270 WSM 150gr / 7mm Rem Mag 150gr / 7mm WSM 150gr / .300 Winchester Mag 180gr / 300 WSM 180gr / .308 Win 150gr / .338 Win 200gr.

Really??? Is this possible???

Cheers
    Phil
    LBD likes this.

Yes but the ranges will be different for each load and one bullet weight. Ballistic drop compensator reticles take a number of points and Mark them. Suppose the points are 2.4, 5.6, 9.5, and 14.6 moa that closely approximates the 223 trajectory at those ranges and that of the .308 but for it the distances are 230, 330, 440, and 570 yards approx.
    They are generally close enough but doing verification is strongly recommended.
    Especially if altering the zero from what is recommended.
    I have several bdc and mil dot scopes and prefer the system to dialling as I have been known to forget to wind adjustments back off.
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 04-04-2021 at 08:17 AM.
    chainsaw, Steve123 and Phil_H like this.

MB
    I find it hard to believe that those distances are even accurate for one cartridge given all the possible variables (e.g. load; projectile weight; barrel length etc). Having said that, it just a question of working out what they do represent and then you're good to go.
    chainsaw, Steelisreal and Phil_H like this.

I'm pretty sure that the holdover points also vary in distance depending on the magnification you set it to.
    flock, MB, Steelisreal and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanfish View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the holdover points also vary in distance depending on the magnification you set it to.
    This is absolutely correct in a second focal plane(SFP) scope.

In a first focal plane(FFP) scope the reticle subtensions are the same relative to the target no matter the magnification - this is the first focal plane's major benefit.

The pictures in @Phil_H post suggest an FFP scope (this is how an FFP reticle's appearance changes as you vary the magnification). Some manufacturers make both and they don't always have different model names! ***Went and looked it up - the Athlon Talos is an SFP scope***
    Nathanfish likes this.

Good point those "ranges " are only accurate at one magnification with a sfp, usually the scopes maximum or in some cases 10x.
    It's not a drawback in my opinion for a hunting scope or for a lot of target applications you have a consistently sized reticle and it offers the ability to change the distances marked by altering the magnification ie half the mag double the distance which can be usefull with 22 rimfires.
    chainsaw and Steelisreal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Good point those "ranges " are only accurate at one magnification with a sfp, usually the scopes maximum or in some cases 10x.
    It's not a drawback in my opinion for a hunting scope or for a lot of target applications you have a consistently sized reticle and it offers the ability to change the distances marked by altering the magnification ie half the mag double the distance which can be usefull with 22 rimfires.
    Yep sure can! With a known zero and Strelok Pro you can get up to all sorts of shenanigans - wasn't it hits at 400m on 2.5x @Pommy? ��

I guess the question from Phil gives some context - possibly he's looking for simplicity (plug and play style) of zeroing then just use the reticle for drop compensation? Certainly a lot of the scopes intended for the mass market seem to be marketed and featured in this way.

***I tried out an FFP scope for combined hunting and range work - I realised after a while that FOR ME an SFP scope for hunting is better. I moved the FFP scope to the 22 for easy dialing and ability to use hold over via the reticle. Put a VX5 with the ZL2 dial on the bigger rifle and it's superb. I've also seen the benefit of using a fixed zero and a multi aiming point reticle when out shooting and hunting with Pommy. At the end of the day you figure out what suits YOU and your situation the best - all part of the fun!***
    Last edited by Steelisreal; 04-04-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Caretaker
    To dial for your shot is far far simpler, and more precise

Leupold’s TMR reticle is probably the benchmark if in a hurry
    jakewire, GWH, jackson21 and 3 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Gkp
    Grab a piece of paper and set it up at 100 yards(for moa), 100 metres(for Mil)
    Zoom the scope in to a set magnification (probably highest power) then mark on the paper the corresponding holdovers.
    Measure the distance of each mark for example it may be 0, 3, 6 and 9 inches. Punch your load into a ballistic app and find out which range each holdover equals. Then just get a sticker or paper masking tape and copy out the holdover with the corresponding distance next to it for a quick reference for when in the field. I usually stick this to the top of my scope.
    Will end up looking something like ;
    200 or your zero
    Hopefully this makes sense, Works a treat

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    Yep sure can! With a known zero and Strelok Pro you can get up to all sorts of shenanigans - wasn't it hits at 400m on 2.5x @Pommy? ��

I guess the question from Phil gives some context - possibly he's looking for simplicity (plug and play style) of zeroing then just use the reticle for drop compensation? Certainly a lot of the scopes intended for the mass market seem to be marketed and featured in this way.

***I tried out an FFP scope for combined hunting and range work - I realised after a while that FOR ME an SFP scope for hunting is better. I moved the FFP scope to the 22 for easy dialing and ability to use hold over via the reticle. Put a VX5 with the ZL2 dial on the bigger rifle and it's superb. I've also seen the benefit of using a fixed zero and a multi aiming point reticle when out shooting and hunting with Pommy. At the end of the day you figure out what suits YOU and your situation the best - all part of the fun!***
    Yep, with a Nikon on my 22lr.

Same scope now on a 300wsm...

10x
    Name:  Screenshot_20210404-104717_Strelok Pro.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  282.5 KB

2.5x
    Name:  Screenshot_20210404-104727_Strelok Pro.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  256.6 KB
    Hermitage likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

@Phil_H i have used the leupold boone and crokett for a few years now 4.5x14. You have to have it on 14 power to use the b&c with my 7mm08 and thats good out to 400y for me. With out looking i think for a 223 you have it 10x of the top of my head.
    When i purchased the scope i never set it up for years and now i have i find it very handy and happy to shoot out to 400y. Quick to use once you remember what the lines do