Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: Exactly how illegal is it to shoot C-Cat guns?

Exactly how illegal is it to shoot C-Cat guns?

So hypothetically if somebody with a C-Cat license bought a full auto gun, shot it, and got caught doing so how much trouble would they actually get in? Lets say they're being as safe and discrete about it as possible, shooting on their own land far from other people and just popping targets. Not taking it to a range or using it for hunting or anything like that, just taking it out in to a paddock on their land and shooting some targets and someone happens to hear the full auto fire and call the cops. Is this person compltely screwed?

Some people have told me it's a don't ask don't tell grey area kind of deal where you can do it if no one knows you're doing it, others say the cops don't care, others say you'll go to prison. I can't seem to get a concrete answer.

All hypothetical of course.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kiwitedferny
    he mentions in one Video he fired a Thompson off the back of a boat. Video ended on the internet.
    He got a stern warning from the AO and cant remember if a fine etc was involved.
    Arms Act 1983 No 44 (as at 01 October 2018), Public Act Contents – New Zealand Legislation
    Nothing specific listed there
    Arms Regulations 1992 (SR 1992/346) (as at 01 July 2017) Contents – New Zealand Legislation
    or there.

My personal opinion is that its not worth the risk for a little bit of fun. FAL holders are under more scrutiny than ever before. I could very quickly see someone being made an example of. Losing my FAL wouldnt be nice at all.

Now would love to be able to have a blast with some C cat stuff. Dam right i would. But i dont see leglislation changing anytime soon. Even to the likes of pistols at approved ranges is unlikely.

Very pretty big no no

It's unlawful, unless you have a theatrical C endorsement, and you are shooting blanks at a demonstration, reenactment, filming, function test. End of thread.
    grunzter likes this.

Thats like asking if there are degrees of dead, ie mostly dead, partly dead, doubly dead. Dead is dead. Its also an interesting follow up question after asking for a private place to shoot.
    257weatherby likes this.

22 Conditions of endorsements in respect of pistols and restricted weapons
    (2)
    Where an endorsement made under section 30 of the Act permits a person to have possession of a pistol or a restricted weapon in his or her capacity as—
    (a) a bona fide collector of firearms; or
    (b) a person to whom the pistol or restricted weapon has special significance as an heirloom or memento; or
    (c) the Director or Curator of a bona fide museum; or
    (d) an approved employee or approved member of any body, being—
    (i) a broadcaster within the meaning of the Broadcasting Act 1989; or
    (ii) any bona fide theatre company or society or cinematic or television film production company or video recording production company,—
    that endorsement shall be subject to the condition that that person shall not under any circumstances use live ammunition in the pistol or restricted weapon.

33 Revocation of endorsements
    (1)
    If, in the opinion of a commissioned officer of Police, any person whose licence bears an endorsement made under section 30,—
    (a) would not, on an application made under section 29, be entitled to have that endorsement made on his firearms licence; or
    (b) has failed to observe any conditions of the endorsement,—
    that commissioned officer may, by notice in writing under his hand, revoke that endorsement, and that person shall, upon demand, surrender his firearms licence to a member of the Police for cancellation of the endorsement.
    Koshogi likes this.

Pretty sure you'd find yourself with no firearms licence afterwards. Fit and proper people are supposed to follow the rules.
    It has been mentioned to me tho that using tjem is a bit like speeding, your not supposed to do that either but sometimes on a back road miles from anyone.......

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

Shit no bodies ever done that, I think the firearm explodes, someone dies and you nuts fall off! Pays to be a very law abiding citizen in this case!! I’ve never done it so I don’t know, except they usually use heaps of ammo!!
    mikee, sometimes1 and TheWuce like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I would have expected that being in your position you would be a little more subtle than this.
    You know it is illegal to do what you're suggesting, yet here you are on a very public forum that is watched by a lot of people blurting about wanting to do this.
    While it might not be a big deal to some, a corrections officer is not that far below a policeofficer and should behave accordingly. Maybe you are in the wrong job.
    Last edited by kidmac42; 21-10-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Shit spelings
    ebf, mikee, 257weatherby and 6 others like this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Banned
    It's potentially 4 years jail and or a $5000 fine illegal.

Personally I wouldnt bet my fal on it

Better to fly overseas and shoot one llegally. Prob cheaper then lawyers costs that way too

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

what a stupid question.

Up there with the idiot that recently asked a similar question about overal length of a firearm.

What has happened to this forum???
    199p likes this.

Banned
    I think it was mentioned twice that it was a hypothetical question.
    JoshC and Max Headroom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    I would have expected that being in your position you would be a little more subtle than this.

You know it is illegal to do what you're suggesting, yet here you are on a very public forum that is watched by a lot of people blurting about wanting to do this.
    While it might not be a big deal to some, a corrections officer is not that far below a policeofficer and should behave accordingly. Maybe you are in the wrong job.
    Maybe an odd question for a Corrections Officer to post - but I guess he's just making conversation like we all do, "so what" is what I think.

Cops do "care" about full automatic firing anywhere. Media too. I expect they both get rather over-excited. But legally I think you "just" lose your FAL/guns, that's it. Negative media cover of the shooting community is the biggest repercussion, but this will no longer affect the now FAL-less offender.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

R93
    Fuck me. It was a hypothetical question. I assume to start a hypothetical conversation. Why does everything get pulled to bits on here?

Yeah other people and anti gun types probably read this forum....so what?
    Fuck them if all they are looking to do is point fingers. They must have a miserable existence in the first place in order to look for fault on forums such as these anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.