Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By Koshogi
  • 3 Post By 300CALMAN
  • 2 Post By Finnwolf
  • 1 Post By Koshogi
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: Export Changes at Brownells

Export Changes at Brownells

As some of you are aware, the US changed the classification of most firearms and firearm parts under ITAR regulations. Most firearm parts, including scopes now fall under the Department of Commerce, not the Department of State.

Brownells have implemented these, here is an update from them:
    "Per your inquiry, there has been realignment of SKUs, as the majority of items are moved from State to Commerce, meaning categories and commodity codes are changed.

Very few items are staying under the Dept. of State. With this change Dept. of Commerce utilizes Low Value Shipments, LVS. So…you can order without securing an export license and we document the values of the shipments under their categories. This can be used*and no documents are required by you as long as the value is less than $500.

The limit is $6000 a year, once hitting that amount, then an export license would be required for the shipment of Dept. of Commerce items. The Dept. of Commerce does not assess a fee for export license applications.

Our Dept. of State has maintain a very few items and those items could also move.
    We do not have a listing as each country can have different restrictions, however any item that has a part associated with fully automatic firearms (at this time) stayed under the Dept. of State*and they require an export license for any of these items, regardless of value or quantity.
    Applying for their export license, fee $250."

So there is no requirement for the $250USD export fee any more for most items from Brownells.

Remember every firearm part (including scopes and slings) now requires an import permit from the NZ Police.

The current exchange rate doesn't make ordering from the US that attractive, but at least you don't have an extra $250USD on your order.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    308, grunzter, 300CALMAN and 2 others like this.

If only I still had my AR

This is good news though :-)
    sgteval, mikee and Russian 22. like this.

I noticed that Boyd stocks also made changes to their export restrictions.
    We have till November to import what we want, just in case the Donald get kicked out and the following democrat changes all those good export laws.

Well that's a little bit of good news. Opens up the options for sure

Are things like dies a firearms part? do we need an import licence for those?

Quote Originally Posted by Benj View Post
    Are things like dies a firearms part? do we need an import licence for those?
    Nope.

What about stocks and scope? Do they need a permit?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hillclima View Post
    What about stocks and scope? Do they need a permit?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I believe yes, they do.

The basic rule is: if it’s part of or fits on a firearm? - it needs a permit.
    Even a rifle sling.
    hillclima and grunzter like this.

Air rifle parts? I need a rear sight for my BSA mercury, Found one in England but wonder if I need a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    Air rifle parts? I need a rear sight for my BSA mercury, Found one in England but wonder if I need a permit.
    Permits not required for parts of air rifles.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Got-ya likes this.

I personally would apply for a permit. They are, mmm were, easy to get. Being an air rifle rear sight will probably not gel at Customs. It's a firearm sight to them.
    Same as having to get a permit for a scope. You could argue that its intended use is for an air rifle. They won't see it that way.

And if you do apply and your permit is "declined" (cop speak for "not required") due to no permit required, you have a bit of paper all nicely signed off to present to customs if things do turn to custard.

The declined permit they sent me, all nicely signed off by a senior person a Kapiti, I have sat on in case I do get a customs knock back sometime in the future.
    That incidentally was earlier on when they started enforcing the permit requirement and there a lot of confusion around the is and is not required, and was for reloading dies.
    Got-ya likes this.

The fact that a sling falls within that category just goes to show how f*kd up things are.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...