Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ground Control

Thread: Extra Low Scope Setups

Extra Low Scope Setups

Hi all,

Just wondering if others have issues with either getting a scope low enough or their cheek high enough when using rifles?

On Monday I purchased a new Remington 700 ADl in .308. (And I am yet to shoot it and yes it is killing me).

I started of with Kwik-Site weaver style bases, Leupold low 1" rings and a Leupold Vari-x II 2-7x33 scope. I then swapped to a pair of second hand Weaver 1" rings and got it even lower.

Just wondering what others have used to get their stuff low? Also any one used these bases? I am a bit worried about them as they were pretty cheap! Lastly has anyone built up their cheek piece? and if so how?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  Collage.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  200.7 KB

Nothing wrong with weaver rings, they may look cheep, but they work.

If you are finding that you need to lift your head a small amout in order to get a clear sight picture, you may need to invest in either a stock pack/cheek rest or glue some foam onto the stock or even install an adjustable cheek rest.

I opted for the stock pack as its not a perminant alteration and I can carry my drop chart, & spare mag in it.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Here are two options for you to look at. There are various types of these products so shop around some. To add some more height to the pack just insert a small cutting off a foam roll mat.

Stock Pack:
    Gunworks Ltd - Allen's Buttstock Pouch for Sniper Rifles

Adjustable Cheek Rest:
    Deadeye Dicks - Stocks

Welcome to the forum by the way.

a set of Talleys one piece rings should get it lower.
    Gunworks sell them.
    But looking at your pic you may have an issue with the magnification ring hitting if you go any lower.

Has anyone had much success in making a cheek riser? I was taught by my father that before you spend any money, spend some time doing it yourself!!! (And not always for the best either)

Most 700 scope setups need mediums to clear the bolt . make sure the bolt works when you work it fast , not just a careful in out , also make sure the power ring is not jamming on the rear base or rings . You can also turn the front base around to get a bit more space between the rings if you like .
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Second the stock pack idea, I use them after gimp put me onto them as I was was always lifting my head just a little to get set right.
    Stock pack, perfect, and it has a handy pocket for a few rds or empties if you save them.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I've got the same Weaver rings and bases on my 700 and that set up suits me pretty good

I had the same problem , so I ate heaps of burgers did no exercise , got really chubby in the face and it ended up fitting me perfectly .
    I will leave no stone unturned and will go through untold culinary hardships to achieve proper gun fit

Ken
    Bryan and Gibo like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I've gone about this two ways;

1) Milling a slot in the rear base so that the power ring can turn inside that slot for clearance.

Or

2) Grinding the bolt handle to clear the optic bell

Both used talley rings. Why - because I like them and they're real lightweight.

kj

The stock pack is a good option. I have seen a cheek rest built up then covered with a stock pack to raise it a final amount and clean the look up...

Looked decent and worked really well.

Ended up stealing a sheet of packing foam from the rubbish bin at work. Taped it down tight, It took a few layers and a few goes but only about 30 mins in total. Hoping to sight the gun in this weekend so will see how it goes in the field!