Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Factory or custom?

Factory or custom?

Got Tikka in 6.5x55 wanting something with longer legs. Not out hunting as much as I want and not out to squeeze the last 30 fps or wanting to try and take anything at ridiculous long ranges.

Reckon 7mm Rem Mag will do the trick. Any views on factory remington Sendero vs sako 85 (laminated stock) over custom build given it seems everything needs bloody work. Being a wirey bigger (65kg) hoping I can keep the whole system simple - no brakes or cans.

Have a look at my thread a few topics down.......I wouldn't mind a 6.5

Stick with the swede
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Dr Watson has a very good article in latest Rod and Rifle on custom vs factory. Confirmed what I sort of thought. Well worth a read.

7mm remmag is awesome, you don't need a brake or suppressor but if your running hot loads your shoulder will like it.
    I wouldn't recommend a sender of unless your hunting from a quad.
    It's not the weight but the bulk of the stock makes them very annoying and difficult to carry well.
    T3 with a limbsaver will work well 162amax around 2850 will be good with still being soft on the shoulder

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Mangle likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by dombo3 View Post
    Got Tikka in 6.5x55 wanting something with longer legs. Not out hunting as much as I want and not out to squeeze the last 30 fps or wanting to try and take anything at ridiculous long ranges.

Reckon 7mm Rem Mag will do the trick. Any views on factory remington Sendero vs sako 85 (laminated stock) over custom build given it seems everything needs bloody work. Being a wirey bigger (65kg) hoping I can keep the whole system simple - no brakes or cans.
    But what are you calling a long way?, especially if you don't get out much, 6.5 Swede kills well with the 140Amax/Berger VLD out at 400 yds, and that is further than a lot should be shooting at animals!
    Hennie260 and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    But what are you calling a long way?, especially if you don't get out much, 6.5 Swede kills well with the 140Amax/Berger VLD out at 400 yds, and that is further than a lot should be shooting at animals!
    I've got 140 Amax at 2700 and killed out to 350 prior to recent scope upgrade. Only at fallow and Sika so far. Want to be confident to 600 odd once I've put in more range time and add bigger reds to the mix. Swede hasn't let me down yet and not planning to ditch it.

57JL
    2506 very under rated shoots flatter then 6.5x55 and has longer range

Go AI with your sweed, you ll be close to 6.5-284 and your bullets will be more efficient than a 25-06.
    rossi.45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Go AI with your sweed, you ll be close to 6.5-284 and your bullets will be more efficient than a 25-06.

What about opening your swede up to 264 Win Mag?

Thats what I did and never looked back. Same ballistics as the 7RM but less recoil which suits if you don't want a can / brake.

3600 with 90gr
    3500 with 120gr mono (barnes, GMX)
    3200 with 140gr Berger
    3100 with 155gr SMK

Only downside is you will have to reload unless you want to spend $$$ per packet of Nosler Trophy.
    Last edited by 300_BLK; 05-04-2016 at 12:45 AM. Reason: England

Yep .264 mag are nice but you need a longer barrel at least 24", 26 even better, mine is suppressed it's like shooting a .223.

so how far can you get out to with the swede and get the 1000lbs of delivered energy with the best longrange bullets available ?

i would like to say go the Ackley Improved way ( i would ) but it probably doesn't stack up unless your a reloader with a sense of adventure bugger the cost deal.

7mm RM would be the easy smart option

good luck
    Last edited by rossi.45; 05-04-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Two easy tricks.
    1. Custom rifles seldom are what you want. Factory is so much easier
    2. Walk closer. It solves so many long range issues.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    As others have said either stick with your 6.5 or if you go to a 7mm mag just buy a Tikka.
    Don't bother with a custom unless you do your homework or don't sell it. Or if you pick one up cheap as the resale for custom is way less than you put into them.

You will probably find with a bit of shooting practice that the 6.5 will do everything you want it to.

I see you are from palmy Pm me and I could take you to a property that you can shoot some longer distance.
    Last edited by Shootm; 05-04-2016 at 08:05 AM.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

If i was you i would track down a post on here from @R93 and read his signature

7 RM is easy peasy a sweede eater on game. Id say sweede taps out at 5-600 and the RM at 7-900 for an effective kill. You can of course kill beyond that with both but you will need to spend plenty of time practising. Getting on the gong after 5 shots and a spotter is not good enough when trying to take an animal, you owe it to the deer to be confident of a first round kill. My 10 cents anyway
    Bryan, Blaser, BRADS and 2 others like this.