Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Fake Leupold scopes

Caretaker

Fake Leupold scopes

This mornings job was setting up a rifle for a hunting client, and he supplied his own scope.

When i saw the fake Mark 4 i was sceptical but having never put one through its paces couldnt really comment other than the obvious.

Suprise suprise it worked and tracked and other than the poorer quality glass it functioned well.

I guess these fakes are not all made in the same factory in China so their quality may be a bit of a lottery.

The buy price of these fake Mark 4 and VX3 scopes often closely match the genuine article, one to appease the greed of the seller and also to help mask their lack of genuineness.

Interestingly some of the fakes can be purchased from $150 to $300 dollars, quite the deal at that price ????????????????????????????????????????????

I have a question, is anyone else using a fake Leupold and are they working well ?

You can look on Leupys website to check your serial numbers........

They might be great on a budget rifle or bunny buster?

This one is $57.20c

rifle scope, riflescope, gun scope, hunting rifle scope,scope, Magpul, CTR, ACS, UBR,telescope
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Banned
    So were just paying for a warranty these days then?

Interesting.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I think I know who is bringing in a bunch of fakes ones round out area Andrew. Do you want one?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I bought one cheap (knowing it was a fake) just to test it out. Long story short, it was utter crap.

Caretaker
    Heaps of them here...

Some might be OEM

alibaba.com
    globalsources.com
    tradekey.com
    ebay.com

There are copies of most high end brands there.

Some 5-48 by 50 scopes too !

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I think I know who is bringing in a bunch of fakes ones round out area Andrew. Do you want one?
    Any scope for me has to be dead nutz reliable, if a scope let me down it would get beaten with a rock and thrown in the river.

I couldnt bring myself to trust a fake with the hot/cold cycles our scopes go through these days.

Years ago at Kotemaori (1987) i was culling goats with a Hubertus scope on a stirling 22 in heavy rain, it fogged, i took it off, unscrewed the ocular lens to remove it, then shot a bullet through it, and another down the main tube to remove the glass and put it back on.

I carried on culling goats by centring them in the "sight picture"

We shot over 500 in two weekends on Alan and Rita Purvis farm then that scope was "retired"

Theirs was the last farm on the left before you cross the Mohaka heading north on the Wairoa rd,
    Roger Dickie purchased the hills and planted it in pines and the flats are in Kiwifruit now

Ahhhhh the good old days hunting with me brother

I dont miss crap scopes though...........
    Wirehunt likes this.

Anyone been bitten buying a fake sold as genuine ?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ekk fakes... Didn't cross my mind, looking at the pics I am assuming the lack of leupold s gold writing is a dead giveaway
    Don't own one yet, Nz customs are holding onto it waiting for clearance... Bastards...
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

P38
    I bought a Fake Mark 4 Leupold yesterday from a bloke in Hastings.

The seller wanted $1000 and told me he thought it was genuine.
    Story was his father bought it four years ago in Canada from a store that was having a closing down sale.
    He believed it was genuine and intended to put it on his long range rifle.
    His father has recently passed away and he was selling some stuff on behalf of his mother.

I paid $150, after it was pointed out that it's a copy and that the serial number was the same as several other copies currently for sale on the net.

The build quality looks good, the glass looks good (on a bright Sunny Day, not too bad on dusk in the back yard either)

Not sure how it's going to zero, track and re zero.

I figured for $150 I couldn't loose much and will be happy if it just holds it zero.

I'm going to put it on my .222 and see how it goes.

Here's how to spot the counterfeits
    http://www.leupold.com/resources/counterfeit-warning/

Serial numbers I have seen on these counterfeits are 8888SC and 9999SC

Cheers
    Pete
    Last edited by P38; 05-03-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    veitnamcam, steven and Survy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    This mornings job was setting up a rifle for a hunting client, and he supplied his own scope.

When i saw the fake Mark 4 i was sceptical but having never put one through its paces couldnt really comment other than the obvious.

Suprise suprise it worked and tracked and other than the poorer quality glass it functioned well.

I guess these fakes are not all made in the same factory in China so their quality may be a bit of a lottery.

The buy price of these fake Mark 4 and VX3 scopes often closely match the genuine article, one to appease the greed of the seller and also to help mask their lack of genuineness.

Interestingly some of the fakes can be purchased from $150 to $300 dollars, quite the deal at that price ????????????????????????????????????????????

I have a question, is anyone else using a fake Leupold and are they working well ?

You can look on Leupys website to check your serial numbers........

They might be great on a budget rifle or bunny buster?

This one is $57.20c

rifle scope, riflescope, gun scope, hunting rifle scope,scope, Magpul, CTR, ACS, UBR,telescope
    I find it hard to believe those lying farking chinks would be copying leupold scopes wtf

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I find it hard to believe those lying farking chinks would be copying leupold scopes wtf
    The Chinese are very good manufacturers ..... You only have to look at anything, actually everything manufactured in the world today and the chances are it was sourced from China or built on machines sourced from China.

Truth be known .... those "chinks" as you say are probally making the Leupolds, assembling them, and shipping them for Leupold.

Interesting too that Leupold doesn't own it's copyright in China..... someone else does.

Cheers
    Pete
    Neckshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    The Chinese are very good manufacturers ..... You only have to look at anything, actually everything manufactured in the world today and the chances are it was sourced from China or built on machines sourced from China.

Truth be known .... those "chinks" as you say are probally making the Leupolds, assembling them, and shipping them for Leupold.

Interesting too that Leupold doesn't own it's copyright in China..... someone else does.

Cheers
    Pete
    You are not to far from the truth there. Most customers would be surprised to know the Chinese content of American and Japanese made goods.

When I put the factory VZ nose & bonnet on my 05 Monaro in 06, I was really impressed to see "made in China" on the factory hi intensity fog lights

That front cost a fair bit & was "restricted parts" in those days...

The norinco copies of the M1 are supposed to be fairly decent....does p*ss me off though....are any others being faked?