Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tommy

Thread: Fibre Optic Open Sights

Fibre Optic Open Sights

My Bergara .357 has fibre optic open sights.

I'm a reasonably experienced shooter and I've used all sorts of open sights. Today I tried to shoot some groups with the Bergara, and I had a lot of trouble getting good definition with the sights. It was like driving at night with a wet windscreen and getting 'double' headlight images.

A few days ago I shot on a duller day while sitting under a roof at the benchrest at the local rifle range. I got some good groups. Today in the bright light I could barely hit the target. It feels like vandalism, but I'm tempted to put some black paint over those fluorescent fibres. Meanwhile I've refitted a cheap scope to the rifle in case I get the opportunity to hunt.

I will also think about other options for open sights on this rifle. I really like the rifle otherwise. Maybe I could fit a big aperture at the back of the scope rail. The fluoro sights look great in dim conditions in the bush, but I've got by in the past with white paint or chalk on the foresight of other rifles i've used.

I'd be interested to hear about anybody else's experience with fluoro sights.

A scrap of electrical tape to 'dim' it to your liking?
    Sasquatch likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

That'd be worth a try thanks Tommy. Black tape.

I used to use twink [typo white out] to high light the end sight post on my old SKS for dim bush conditions. Worked well for me.

sandpaper (very fine) will make them less "bright"

I've used a Twink-like correction pen myself and it worked well. My uncle used to use a paint called 'Dap' which was evidently marketed as a paint to fix marks on your white home appliances. White nail polish is the latest thing I've been using... our daughter left a bottle hanging around so I claimed it.

A while ago I adopted Carlsen Highway's suggestion of filing an angle on the front of a foresight blade so that it can reflect more light from above. I then painted this sloping portion with the nail polish. It works very well in dull conditions... but can make things a bit tricky when shooting at a light coloured target in bright conditions (as would be the case with any white foresight). But I like having a sight like this. So if you are reading this Carlsen H.... thanks.

The sandpaper is a good idea.... plus if I do end up using paint, the sanding will help the paint stick.