Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Finally, a .277” cartridge worth having

Banned
    Does anyone feel like they are going back in time? Back to the days when something like this won't get here for a decade.

I would be keen to try one, i had a 270 WSM and got a few hundred Matrix 165gr.277 bullets, couldn't stabilize them fully, so sold off the rifle, did concider a re-barrel to faster twist, but sold rifle, for more than was in.
    I think its good to see a move to faster twist in the .277 bore, its long been neglected,
    i didn't think the 6.5 Creedmore would gain the traction it has, so i think there is a market, for moderate Med cals, factory match grade capable, with long high BC bullets, for hunting and target.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I think there is a market for it , there are a lot of people who want a rifle that offers target type accuracy and factory ammo they can just pick up of the shelf . There are huge numbers US shooter that operate that way because it simply convenient. My Creedmoor is very accurate with factory and given i dont use in a high volume way why would i bother reloading ,unless the supply problem starts to get to bad that i cant get over the counter ammo .Dont get me wrong i normally reload but in this case i doubt i would get much better results . And i like the bullet weight options for this one about right not to heavy not to light and not being called 270 appeals to me ,i never liked the 270 ,yes i know its a good cal .
    Moa Hunter likes this.

There is the potential for substantial improvements for the original 270
    Greater selection of better bullets and OEM's might just start to fit faster twist barrels to make use of them.

Ive said for years Nosler needs to poke a plastic tip in the 160grn partition to up its B.C. maybe even give it a boat tail..if it would still stabilise in 1;10 twist it would change the whole ball game for the std cartridge...the 150grn is good as it is,given a birthday and spruce up to improove B.C. would win back some favour...doesnt worry me a shite.....dont shoot past 350 so doesnt matter....
    GSP HUNTER and csmiffy like this.

And then is four or five years time, they will come out with a fast twist 25 superduppermagnumcreedmoor, just to open another segment of the market and create more demand for higher bc bullet in that caliber....and everybody will jump on it cause nobody thought of it before.

Well all these new high BC 270 projectiles will finally make it as good as a 280 . The 270 and the 25-06 have both been hamstrung with not enough options but it does seem to be changing for the better and who knows in the near future the factory twist rates might end up changing

If they can maufacture and supply ammo they will be on a winner.....but that is going to be a big problem.
    outdoorlad likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Here's an interesting read on it https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/tag/6.8+Western . H e also explains in the video why you wont see factory 270's with faster twist barrels or wsm's , . A 280AI with same bullet will still beat it though .I wonder how long before the wildcatters knock this one up to 7mm .yes i know we have the SAUM but i think you will see more brass options for this one given the yanks love affair with the 270 .

I see Berger just dropped a 135gr long range hybrid for the quarter bores...
    25 /08 IMP likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Found this comparision today , its intresting to see there is not much in it with the PRC but the 6.8 hits with a bit more wallop . Other than that its pretty even. Is the extra hitting power worth it well thats the question . https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/bl...rc-amp-270-wsm

Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post
    Here's an interesting read on it https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/tag/6.8+Western . H e also explains in the video why you wont see factory 270's with faster twist barrels or wsm's , . A 280AI with same bullet will still beat it though .I wonder how long before the wildcatters knock this one up to 7mm .yes i know we have the SAUM but i think you will see more brass options for this one given the yanks love affair with the 270 .
    so AI a std poohseventy and the difference is what?????SFA is what....why does no one AI a poohseventy...because you dont need to,its good as it is....you say given same bullet but arent talking apples and apples now are you......... because if you were you know the laws of science dont lie....the poohseventy will be slightly skinnier so will be slightly slipperier so will need slightly less velocity to achieve same trajectory..... but you already know you cant at present get two projectiles the same weight of same make that are comparable...in real terms...and good luck finding 280AI on shelf at little town store when you leave yours on freezer as walking out door on a four day hunt....
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 24-01-2021 at 09:23 PM.

@Micky Duck you are right sort of
    If you stick to old school parameters than there is nothing wrong at all with the old girl.
    0 to 400m and a little bit more maybe and everyone happy
    But nowadays with new projectiles scopes and rifles, ranges out past 600m is readily achievable and done more than frequently.
    There hasnt been many 270 calibre out there to play with so it has taken a while to get caught up with the creedmore and long distance 30cals.
    As I posted earlier if they start doing faster twist barrels for the standard 270 with bullets to match, it cant be a bad thing.
    As an aside I would like to see a slightly faster twist 264 win mag.
    There are a bunch of the creedmore out there but barrels are shorter than preferred so cant just ream them out or swap them.
    If a 6.5 creedmore can catch up to the 264, 300 yards out even though it is slower because of the bullet, then if you can get that projectile to work in a magnum with a faster twist, then that's more better
    Moa Hunter likes this.

mate..they were shooting buffalo with .45 and .50 calibre black powder rounds further than that over a hundred years ago...if you get the elevation/drop right all things are possible..... it pisses me off how folks keep saying the 280 is so much better than 270 when in reality there is fcuk all in it...and when you AI one and not the other its no longer same level playing field..... I dont twiddle n fiddle as dont own rangefinder......fellas that do so and use .270 dont have any issues....

Hey Micky , Ill be honest i am 280 fan just simply because it wasn't a 270 originally . Then i learnt about handloading and that's were the real difference between the 2 showed you just had so much more options bullet wise till now . I agree there is not much in it just what you get used to and how you use it . Its the same debate with the Creedmoor vs 260 i went with the Creedmoor simply because i could get better choices in rifles and of the shelf ammo . Both the 260 and the 280 suffered from poor marketing by remington and a lack of rifle options ,had they been better at who knows . If there are enough rifle makers that build the western, then it will take off and then we can have the same debate about it and the prc along with all the banter that goes with it .
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.