Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally bought an AR15 (Handguard options)

so i finally bought an ar15. picked it up couple days ago off digit, its a CMMG 16inch bull barrel (which I'll get fluted in the future) to cut weight at the moment I'd like a hand guard free float system with 4 rails as i wanna mount a flip up sight on top and my PTK Instinctive Pointing Foregrip with thumb support so i'll use 3 of 4 rails, anyway i quiet like the yankee hill machine hand guards affordable and free floating with rails, anyone else tried one or know of any other options i should consider?

https://www.primaryarms.com/Yankee_H...hm-9630-dx.htm

Was that a kitset one you put together, any specail tools req to assemble it. Whats the weight of it at the moment?

sure was. with no optics its floating around 3.4kg which i'm guessing is pretty heavy oh and i just realized that's with the .22 conversion, wonder how much weight I'll lose fluting the barrel, guess depends how deep i go

My NEA DMR is 4.1 kg all up with pepr mount and leupold 3-9, not heavy id say well balanced, havnt mounted any extras to the front and wont may change to a samson handguard at some stage, after carrying it for 5 hours last weekend after goats i wouldnt want any more weight hanging off the front.

Quote Originally Posted by turner nz View Post
    sure was. with no optics its floating around 3.4kg which i'm guessing is pretty heavy oh and i just realized that's with the .22 conversion, wonder how much weight I'll lose fluting the barrel, guess depends how deep i go
    Guess what. Don't spend money you don't need to.Just shoot the shit out of it cos that what it was built to do.. Then decide what would make it better to shoot the shit out it with not make it look better. It's a hard out bit of gear without pimping it ....
    F
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Personally I still think less is more on any rifle, especially an AR as they have enough protrusions to snag on shit as is without adding anymore stuff to it.

I made this hand guard out of carbon-fibre, it only weighs 80grams all up and is ''free-floated''.

Personally I wouldn't add a front pistol grip, can't see the point? But it’s your rifle and you can bolt on whatever you want?

kj

its all personal preff but I dont like the front pistol girps either, it makes it feel less like a rifle if that makes any sence,

how hard is it to put one of those things together?

I'd be going for either a Samson or MI handguard

yup had a better look into the samson and MI and i really like the idea of the MI that has the small rails you can put on or take off as you please and also its lighter than most alloy hand guards so far this will be what i'm going for in future as funds are abit tight after buying the rifle, now have to decide what length would look good and be practical on a 16 inch barrel

Midwest Industries SS-Series 12 Gen 2 Rail Black [MWMI-SS12G2] - $319.90 : NZAR15.COM, Home of the sporting Semi Auto

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_id=450

Troy Alpha has a better attachment system than MI, Sampson etc.

YHM is shitty

yeah ? as in how it attaches to the rifle ?

Samson and Troy have the best attachment systems - straight onto the barrel nut. No need to remove gas tube/block to install a proprietary barrel nut.
    In image below top one is a Troy bottom one a Samson.

The MI rails have there own barrel nut which I cant be bothered with. However they do come with a sling swivel which is handy for bipod. The MI is also very slim.
    The Troy and Samson handguards have there detachable rails which you can use to bolt on accessories - like the Troy FDE rail in the picture with the RVG.
    The Samson has a large enough internal diameter so that you could mount an over barrel suppressor back to the gas block. The Troy one you cant. The Troy rail is probably smoother to hold.

Pros and cons for all of them - swing by if you want to check them out.

A quick look at their website, the second weights about 0.75lb + the weight of the barrel nut which is about 100g (these handguards slip over the original barrel nut) and the other option weighs about 2lb + the weight of the barrel nut. That's a fair bit of weight, in fact I can have my handguard + a suppressor and still come in under that.

We have 3 AR's at work, plus I own my own personal one. The Colt A1 (flat top conversion) has one of these handguards on it and guess what - I've never seen it used, because it’s such a heavy pig compared to the others.

kj

cool thanks digit i'll have to come have a look some time in the new year, hey kimjon have you got a pic of your ar with the carbon fibre hand guard you made ?