Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maca49

Thread: Firearm insurance?

  1. #1
    338
    338 is offline
    Member 338's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hawkesbay
    Posts
    310

    Firearm insurance?

    After a bit of a slip in a creek the other day it got me wondering if things like rifle stocks/scopes etc can be covered by insurance? Has any one had any experience on the subject?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,295
    Yip. Had a stock damaged in a fall. The gun was individually insured as it cost more than a lot of cars but ended up getting a new custom stock from the factory in Italy

  3. #3
    338
    338 is offline
    Member 338's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hawkesbay
    Posts
    310
    Did you just have it listed under your home and contents?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,295
    Yep. But for a specific value

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,724
    Yep dropped an old shotgun, had a $3k stock made and fitted by keven Gaskill PAID BY INSURANCE
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  6. #6
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    My household contents insurance covers unnamed sporting equipment up to a value of $1500 per item.

    I asked my insurance does this include Firearms?

    The answer was Yes.

    If you wish to insure said firearms for more then I will just have to list them individually on the policy, agree on the replacement cost I wish to insure to and pay the extra premium. which was bugger all.

    Cheers
    Pete

  7. #7
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,370
    Most will consider it as sporting goods and will depreciate it accordingly. Don't hold your breath if you do not add it individually to your policy.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Most will consider it as sporting goods and will depreciate it accordingly. Don't hold your breath if you do not add it individually to your policy.
    That is 100% correct.
    For example I rang up about my geovids that arent individually insured. They would pay out a "trademe" value on them. Not replace with new.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,724
    No problem with mind, Kevin suggested insurance as i had dropped it, i gave him my insurance details, he sent quote direct and one phone call done! I have no firearms individually listed in my policy, maybe lucky ive done some reports for insurance cos for burnt out pumps, then get 50 questions asking clarification. Worse i had was a bunch of powertools flooded with raw sewerage and left for 15 days, wet.
    Gave them dollars to repair, and new replacements, said i couldnt give a warranty on repairs, and wouldnt repair them as theyd been in sewerage, insurance came back and said no prob wash them in disinfectant first! I didnt get the job! If id repaired with a warranty, as the stuffed out, id be paying and the insurance company would have got away cheaply, always ask for new replacement equipment!
    mikee likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Yep dropped an old shotgun, had a $3k stock made and fitted by keven Gaskill PAID BY INSURANCE
    This shotgun was made in 1904!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  11. #11
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    No problem with mind, Kevin suggested insurance as i had dropped it, i gave him my insurance details, he sent quote direct and one phone call done! I have no firearms individually listed in my policy, maybe lucky ive done some reports for insurance cos for burnt out pumps, then get 50 questions asking clarification. Worse i had was a bunch of powertools flooded with raw sewerage and left for 15 days, wet.
    Gave them dollars to repair, and new replacements, said i couldnt give a warranty on repairs, and wouldnt repair them as theyd been in sewerage, insurance came back and said no prob wash them in disinfectant first! I didnt get the job! If id repaired with a warranty, as the stuffed out, id be paying and the insurance company would have got away cheaply, always ask for new replacement equipment!
    After getting both boned by the CHCH earthquake and one big Aussie Co buying up everything else in the domestic insurance market I doubt you will have a similar insurance Co experience to your shotgun problem again.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,724
    That was 2012 kiwi, I was amazed it went thru then
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  13. #13
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,370
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    That is 100% correct.
    For example I rang up about my geovids that arent individually insured. They would pay out a "trademe" value on them. Not replace with new.
    Ha ha considering some peoples TradeMe prices it may be in your financial best interest to throw them off a cliff then

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,295
    Mate tell me about it! Ive seen some non hds on there for $2700... I would have thought 2g to be a fair price for 2nd hand

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. UK firearm licencing - anyone tried / done it...?
    By Nasty Factory Trigger in forum Off topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 08:36 PM
  2. Anyone have duracoat on their firearm?
    By 6.5x55 Mad in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2013, 11:36 PM
  3. Rifle insurance?
    By Gutshot in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 08:21 PM
  4. Off road insurance
    By nor-west in forum Outdoor Transport
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-10-2012, 08:06 PM
  5. Firearm deaths in USA
    By Norway in forum Off topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!