Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Firearms That Don't Need to be Handed In

Firearms That Don't Need to be Handed In

I've noticed a lot of people handing in or intending to hand in firearms that aren't actually banned.
    In the interest of saving as many firearms as possible, I thought I would help to clarify the issue.

Firstly, any semi-automatic, pump action, lever action, or bolt action 22 or shotgun with a tubular magazine does not need to be handed in.
    With the 22s, you can put a plug in the magazine that will limit the capacity to 10 rounds and you'll be fine.
    It's semi-permanent so the collectors value will be preserved, and it can be put back to its factory configuration once we get these ridiculous laws repealed.
    With the shotguns, you can plug the existing magazine tube or remove the magazine extension where applicable to reduce the capacity to 5 rounds of the longest shells the gun is chambered for. If you can get more than 5 2.75" shells in your 3" or 3.5", that's fine. As long as it doesn't hold more than 5 3" or 3.5" shells as applicable, you're fine.
    Again, the collectors value will be preserved and the gun can be put back to factory when the laws eventually get repealed.

Secondly, dedicated 22 AR-15s do not need to be handed in either. This includes dedicated 22 uppers and complete rifles, even if the uppers are on standard AR lowers. As long as the magazines are 10 rounds or less, they're fine. Free-standing pistol grips, collapsible or folding stocks, and flash hiders are also fine. Just make sure that the overall length with the stock collapsed or folded is over 762 mm or 30 inches. The only 22 AR-15s that aren't kosher are the conversion kits that retain the .223 barrel and gas system.

Thirdly, there is a possibility that semi automatic shotguns with detachable magazines of 5 rounds or less might also be fine. We need a little more legal advice on that one but we're working on it. I will update this when I get the full details.

Cheers,
    Kiwigunguy
    Philipo, 199p, Boaraxa and 7 others like this.
    "An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Mate - you need to be taking out full page adverts in all the newspapers to get that message across to the people who are not on hunting forums.

Lack of information , and mis-information is what is making those firearms get handed in.
    Is there a COLFO advice leaflet which summarises things? It would be difficult to make one as the cops are being retentive re agreeing to straight pull / pump conversions.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

start a facebook page? easiest way to reach mass amounts of people with least amount of effort?
    approach the friendlier to guns pages and ask to be shared
    if you are providing info (like you are) and you go easy on what you tell people they should do you will spread the message really quickly

what about if someone mills dedicated 22 barrel that allows to use with conversion kits, should people keep their conversion kit?
    Cordite likes this.

I'd definitely keep the .22LR conversion kit - it creates a .22 semi, it cannot be illegal in and off itself.

The illegal bit is the .223 rifle it goes into, so yes, machine a dedicated .22LR barrel and you have a .22LR semi. As you are not keeping the gas port, just machine the old barrel, set it back and ream a .22LR chamber.

BUT it is then a .22 LR blowback, and I'd get rid of the gas tube too.

In an ideal world you'd be able to keep the gas system and make it into a gas operated .22WMR or .17 WSM but that would require converting your current centrefire gas operated .223 bolt into a rimfire bolt.

I fantasise...

the "old" barrel is a scary thing, dont know if there's any bold smithy around would take on it. i'd opt for a brand new barrel with the proper twist.
    Cordite likes this.

You would be better off with legal advice on the points raised.
    Nick Taylor was commissioned by COLFO to provide commentary on the Arms Act Amendments and will address nearly all of the points.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    You would be better off with legal advice on the points raised.
    Nick Taylor was commissioned by COLFO to provide commentary on the Arms Act Amendments and will address nearly all of the points.
    Would be good to combine his advice with some drawn illustrations for mass publication. I'm really good at drawing, like this:

Name:  stickman.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  23.3 KB

Disclaimer - copyright to someone else
    dogmatix, tetawa and Dago like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Would be good to combine his advice with some drawn illustrations for mass publication. I'm really good at drawing, like this:

Attachment 115565

Disclaimer - copyright to someone else
    I’m a failed artist, studied Fine Arts at Canterbury Uni.
    But even simple diagrams are too much for this nations leaders to understand.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I’m a failed artist, studied Fine Arts at Canterbury Uni.
    But even simple diagrams are too much for this nations leaders to understand.
    Not for them, for the oppressed masses sitting wondering what to do with/to their guns.

Let's get together and do a combined effort when Nicholas Taylor's advice comes out @dogmatix
    Last edited by Cordite; 17-07-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    dogmatix likes this.

This is a good topic - my Dad has a Beretta Xtrema 2 - named Beretta 391 Xtrema on buy-back list I think. It doesn't hold 6+ cartridges so doesn't need to be handed in.

We've seriously discussed handing it in however as we can imagine this scenario in future years - you come across an overly zealous cop who gets excited about catching someone with a "prohibited" firearm.

Common sense would say you simply demonstrate that the shotty can't hold 6+ cartridges, but the worst case scenario is the gun is confiscated, you get arrested and then spend allot of time, money and public reputation clearing your name from criminal conviction.

If people can't trust that there will be a robust and rationale way to prove that firearms aren't prohibited in the future, then the path of least resistance for some will be to simply hand over the firearm.

Govt + Police need to clear this up along with all the other issues already raised...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maccanz View Post
    This is a good topic - my Dad has a Beretta Xtrema 2 - named Beretta 391 Xtrema on buy-back list I think. It doesn't hold 6+ cartridges so doesn't need to be handed in.

We've seriously discussed handing it in however as we can imagine this scenario in future years - you come across an overly zealous cop who gets excited about catching someone with a "prohibited" firearm.

Common sense would say you simply demonstrate that the shotty can't hold 6+ cartridges, but the worst case scenario is the gun is confiscated, you get arrested and then spend allot of time, money and public reputation clearing your name from criminal conviction.

If people can't trust that there will be a robust and rationale way to prove that firearms aren't prohibited in the future, then the path of least resistance for some will be to simply hand over the firearm.

Govt + Police need to clear this up along with all the other issues already raised...

That's exactly what they want.

Police and government won't do anything to clarify the current state of affairs either because it's in their interest to have everyone confused and thus disunited. They will just prohibit things through Order In Council if it gets too spicy. Better hope COLFO get their act together and be prepared to front-foot the next round of repressive legislation.
    gadgetman and tetawa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by maccanz View Post

I'd not worry about the gun being on the buy back list - the xtrema just comes with a range of different size magazines. Just the big ones must be converted or handed in.

To be legal the shotgun must not be able to hold more than 5 x 3.5"shells in the magazine tube, it being chambered for max shell size of 3.5" magnum shells. Plus one in the chamber. I take it that is what you refer to when you say it is "6+"? (convention would usually be to call a gun with 5 in the mag and one in the chamber a 5+1).

My fear is that the folk with just a pump action .22 rifle will not have access to any information on how to make their firearm compliant. They will be scared into parting with their firearm needlessly - which is , of course , exactly what the police want.

How do we - collectively - get the word out about this ? Federated Farmers - they seem to have disappeared . Local freebie newspapers - they likely wont publish anything positive , going on their jumping on the hate-bandwagon. I dunno what to do there...
    I doubt police / govt want all those pump ,22 rimfires, including antiques, handed in and compensated for. It would be like them wanting to have their embarrassment rubbed well into their faces.

My fear is that the folk with just a pump action .22 rifle will not have access to any information on how to make their firearm compliant. They will be scared into parting with their firearm needlessly - which is , of course , exactly what the police want.

How do we - collectively - get the word out about this ? Federated Farmers - they seem to have disappeared . Local freebie newspapers - they likely wont publish anything positive , going on their jumping on the hate-bandwagon. I dunno what to do there...
    I see it a bit different, I could made the pump action 22 legal, but it's an old not used gun that sits in my cabinet not used, which I didn't buy (from under my mother in laws bed) so if I can get a few dollars for it all the better. I have other better rifles that i use so no less. A pump action shot gun i have will be going to the gunsmith to make it legal